It’s official - Getz named SVP & GM

NCsoxfan

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The logic of this hire is mindboggling to me. If Getz being the GM was the fastest way to perennial success like JR says in the press release, why wasn't he moved into this role a lot sooner? Failed lackies from a failed regime will keep failing. Enjoy your laughingstock status JR.

JR couldn't figure out which one to fire until he was left with no choice but to s%*# can both of them.

1 minute ago, The Grinder said:

A part of me says to give him a chance

Another part says Ohhh F********

ANother part says Go Brewers

Don't want to speak for all Sox fans, but I believe most are on the same page...this isn't really about Chris Getz the person. Yes, his role as Director of the Minor Leagues has not gone well, but quite frankly I don't think many of us actually know what goes into the day to day of that job, and I also believe the way the entire organization is set up puts all players behind the 8Ball so to speak. This isn't about Chris Getz the man, it's about the process and the person in his role getting this title, without a search to boot. 

• Like 4

Just now, Tony said:

Don't want to speak for all Sox fans, but I believe most are on the same page...this isn't really about Chris Getz the person. Yes, his role as Director of the Minor Leagues has not gone well, but quite frankly I don't think many of us actually know what goes into the day to day of that job, and I also believe the way the entire organization is set up puts all players behind the 8Ball so to speak. This isn't about Chris Getz the man, it's about the process and the person in his role getting this title, without a search to boot. 

I’m more disappointed there won’t be fresh blood to give an honest assessment of the “core players”.  It’s time the organization stops overrating Eloy and Vaughn, etc

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The logic of this hire is mindboggling to me. If Getz being the GM was the fastest way to perennial success like JR says in the press release, why wasn't he moved into this role a lot sooner? Failed lackies from a failed regime will keep failing. Enjoy your laughingstock status JR.

I have zero evidence of this, but I think it's very likely the last task Jerry asked of Rick and Kenny was to give them their endorsement of who should be the next GM. And it stands to reason they would say Getz, and what do you know...

• TLR 1

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It's a positive in Jerry's mind. He created the EVP position not for strategic planning or organization management but rather as a result of the blowup of Ozzie vs. Kenny in 2012 and to keep "his son" and his friend's son on the payroll.

Also, Jerry has no interest of poaching anyone from any external organization as the Chris Getz hire proves, and also has no interest in other teams poaching his staff, as proved by the blocking of Kenny and Rick and likely others to pursue external opportunities.

Someone needs to challenge baseball's anti-trust exemption to break these unfair labor rules. People should be able to get a job with any organization they are qualified, be it a minor league player trying to avoid Jerry's mandated covid jab, or a front office person looking to leave a toxic organization like the White Sox.

They did bring in Getz from the outside. The minor league pitching and hitting coordinator were from the outside. Marco Paddy was too. 

Just now, fathom said:

I’m more disappointed there won’t be fresh blood to give an honest assessment of the “core players”.  It’s time the organization stops overrating Eloy and Vaughn, etc

Of course. Chris Getz is his own man, but he spent two seasons as an assistant with the Royals, and most of his executive career with the Sox, reporting to Rick and Kenny. He's been tainted. In any role, you learn from your superiors, those that have come before you, they guide you and try and make you a better employee for not only the role you're in, but the role you want to get. And that guidance has been coming from two guys the same organization decided should no longer be here. 

It literally makes no sense. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have an issue with Chris Getz's title. Giving him the GM title as the lead decision maker is a mistake imo. It doesn't let you poach from other orgs. If he were given the title of President of Baseball OPS, you could then hire a GM from somewhere and inflate the title to get another smart person in the org. Carter Hawkins isn't in charge of baseball ops but the Cubs were able to take him by elevating his title essentially. It's happened all over the sport. 

I honestly think there is an imminent sale coming within the next 2 years and who's in charge of baseball operations will be their problem and not the current ownership.  

They're just going to let this thing tank into the abyss in the meantime. 

At least that's what I'm hoping for. 

• Like 1

Congrats to Getz on getting job security on steroids. I wonder who the next GM will be in 2034? 🤡He will definitley be the GM of the White Sox until finally Jerry getz lost for good. I was hoping it getz better, but it only seems to getz worse around here. 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's official.  I believe this has reached the level of trolling, at least on some level.  He hears the fan revolt, he is stubborn and resentful about it, and he is sticking this in our face to show who's boss. I think the cancellation of Soxfest was at least partially a "punishment" along the same lines.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Pedro got hired because he said what KW and RH wanted to hear. Getz gets hired and JR mentions Getz says what he wants to hear.

The problem is, this organization is messed up from top to bottom. Fixing it requires things they don't want to hear.

If you're Jerry...why put in that work? He's 87. He can make money on a team that loses 100 games. Certainly not as much money as if his team won 100 games, but that would clearly require a lot of time and energy to get the organization in a better place. What's the point? He's lazy. 

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Yeah I kind of feel bad for Getz. Unless he is able to somehow overcome the organizational ineptitude, he's 100% set up to fail.

That said.... go Brewers?

I don't feel bad for him. I'm pretty sure if there were 29 other GM openings this winter, he would land none of them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

While the Getz hire is terrible, I rather dive into his unknown vs what we already knew as a failed leadership under Hahn and KW. 

I will give them this. It very well could be the same. Maybe even a 99% chance. But at least there is a slight chance it will be different from the previous clown show.

• Haha 1

Griffol was hired because that's who Getz wanted.  Griffol is not going anywhere.  And for those thinking that this hire was in preparation of JR selling in a couple of years.  That makes no sense.  If JR was going to sell in the near future, he would try and MAXIMIZE the value.  This hire does the opposite.  

• Fire 1
  • TLR 1

23 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have an issue with Chris Getz's title. Giving him the GM title as the lead decision maker is a mistake imo. It doesn't let you poach from other orgs. If he were given the title of President of Baseball OPS, you could then hire a GM from somewhere and inflate the title to get another smart person in the org. Carter Hawkins isn't in charge of baseball ops but the Cubs were able to take him by elevating his title essentially. It's happened all over the sport. 

lol what makes you think they would even entertain the idea of doing something like this anyways?

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

While the Getz hire is terrible, I rather dive into his unknown vs what we already knew as a failed leadership under Hahn and KW. 

The problem is...those don't have to be the only two options. 

• bmags unpinned this topic