It’s official - Getz named SVP & GM

NCsoxfan

40 minutes ago, fathom said:

The problem with wanting Jerry to sell the team when he’s alive is you damn well know he will only sell to someone who shares a similar vision.  No way would he sell to someone like Cuban.  

I'm getting caught up but he is selling to the highest bidder.  If the offers are close then he certainly goes wit his shitty vison.

My take on this and I need to keep on the rose colored glasses to keep my sanity.

KW never invested in player development.  I'm not sure what Hahn ever knew about anything related to any aspect of life.  He is the epitome of word salad.

That being said, the brand of baseball the Royals played while Getz was there was solid and got them to two WS.  

He obviously has done nothing beneficial here but I will give him the benefit of the doubt.  hopefully there is a solid model that he pitched to JR.  Whatever he told JR he got him to fire two life long employees that were not even given the opportunity to depart on their own terms.  

You know those internal interviews JR was having, Getz nailed his for sure.

The press conference needs to be two hours long and it needs to ask pertinent questions to appease the fans and the media.  He needs to explain how he got the job and why he failed. 

He needs to address the player development, analytics and this horse s%*# offense. 

My guess it will be 30 minutes of bullshit answering nothing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have an issue with Chris Getz's title. Giving him the GM title as the lead decision maker is a mistake imo. It doesn't let you poach from other orgs. If he were given the title of President of Baseball OPS, you could then hire a GM from somewhere and inflate the title to get another smart person in the org. Carter Hawkins isn't in charge of baseball ops but the Cubs were able to take him by elevating his title essentially. It's happened all over the sport. 

Can't they in future hire a GM and remove that role from Senior VP? 

So some are theorizing that Reinsdorf is hiring Getz as a placeholder until he sells the team. Hopefully JR is preparing to sell and wants to keep costs low and doesn't want to bring in a new front office because the new owner will want to bring in his own people. That kind of make sense and I'm good with it as long as he truly does sell in the next year or so.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, chetkincaid said:

So some are theorizing that Reinsdorf is hiring Getz as a placeholder until he sells the team. Hopefully JR is preparing to sell and wants to keep costs low and doesn't want to bring in a new front office because the new owner will want to bring in his own people. That kind of make sense and I'm good with it as long as he truly does sell in the next year or so.

The team will not be sold until he dies. He is trying to keep costs low while he is alive to maximize shareholder return.

Jerry has never believed in acquiring top talent, on or off the field. His style is to acquire inexperienced and cheap, and hope for the best.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

My take on this and I need to keep on the rose colored glasses to keep my sanity.

KW never invested in player development.  I'm not sure what Hahn ever knew about anything related to any aspect of life.  He is the epitome of word salad.

That being said, the brand of baseball the Royals played while Getz was there was solid and got them to two WS.  

He obviously has done nothing beneficial here but I will give him the benefit of the doubt.  hopefully there is a solid model that he pitched to JR.  Whatever he told JR he got him to fire two life long employees that were not even given the opportunity to depart on their own terms.  

The press conference needs to be two hours long and it needs to ask pertinent questions to appease the fans and the media.  He needs to explain how he got the job and why he failed. 

He needs to address the player development, analytics and this horse s%*# offense. 

A.J. said on his Foul Territory podcast that Getz and LaRussa angled and manipulated events to get Hahn and Williams fired.

Now keep in mind some of the things I was told over the winter for my State of the Sox story:

“Things started to change when Howard Pizer (Author’s Note: Pizer is the Senior Executive Vice-President) was told that he’d no longer be in charge of everyone, that some folks would no longer have to answer to him. That opened the door and some people are trying to get themselves into position to become a team president. Folks aren’t telling JR everything; in some cases they are lying to him.”

“Howard Pizer was the only guy who could tell JR ‘no’ and stop something. If people are angling to try to become a vice-president or president that’s just embarrassing.”

“I know the friction in the front office just wore Bob Grim down.” (Author’s Note: Grim retired after 30 years with the organization. He was the Senior Director of Business Development and Broadcasting)

“Here’s a story about scouting/development. Nick Hostetler was ‘promoted’ to the Special Assistant to the Vice-President/General Manager. He was ‘promoted’ because he was overheard complaining about a scout in Arizona, Ken Williams Junior. Someone got their revenge. I liked Nick, he was independent, he was his own guy.”  

“People wonder why Dennis Gilbert (Author’s Note: Special Assistant to the Chairman) is around.”

“Mike Shirley is the darling of amateur scouts right now. (Author’s Note: Shirley is the Director of Amateur Scouting) He’s the power broker. I heard him saying that he’s been in baseball a long time, I looked up his career and it was only a couple of years maybe a half season of at-bats.”

“I think Chris Getz (Author’s Note: Getz is an Assistant General Manager and in charge of Player Development) is getting to much power to soon but I like him, he’s got some interesting ideas.”

“There are department heads in the organization who don’t know what they are doing, worse, all they care about is getting ahead themselves, some of them are real snakes.”

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The team will not be sold until he dies. He is trying to keep costs low while he is alive to maximize shareholder return.

Jerry has never believed in acquiring top talent, on or off the field. His style is to acquire inexperienced and cheap, and hope for the best.

Your 2024 Chicago White Sox....Hope for the best

alternatively

Your 2024 Chicago White Sox...Great seats will be available

Your welcome, Brooks

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This is the definition of shuffling the chairs on the titanic. This franchise is doomed.
And I can almost guarantee they will shift away from the tear down and try to patch this team back together. Jerry’s main goal has always been to stay relevant just to profit. 

Currently this is such a mess that it would be a major leap to get to relevant.  Trying to patch the team back together on a budget means another 90+ loss season again next year.

23 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The thing is, Getz had very little to do with the construction and success of those royals World Series teams.  He got there right as they got in the World Series 

And it would be Jerry who is not investing in his organization, not KW and Hahn.  It’s their job to convince him and his job to buy it.  It appears neither we’re done 

9 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

A.J. said on his Foul Territory podcast that Getz and LaRussa angled and manipulated events to get Hahn and Williams fired.

Now keep in mind some of the things I was told over the winter for my State of the Sox story:

“Things started to change when Howard Pizer (Author’s Note: Pizer is the Senior Executive Vice-President) was told that he’d no longer be in charge of everyone, that some folks would no longer have to answer to him. That opened the door and some people are trying to get themselves into position to become a team president. Folks aren’t telling JR everything; in some cases they are lying to him.”

“Howard Pizer was the only guy who could tell JR ‘no’ and stop something. If people are angling to try to become a vice-president or president that’s just embarrassing.”

“I know the friction in the front office just wore Bob Grim down.” (Author’s Note: Grim retired after 30 years with the organization. He was the Senior Director of Business Development and Broadcasting)

“Here’s a story about scouting/development. Nick Hostetler was ‘promoted’ to the Special Assistant to the Vice-President/General Manager. He was ‘promoted’ because he was overheard complaining about a scout in Arizona, Ken Williams Junior. Someone got their revenge. I liked Nick, he was independent, he was his own guy.”  

“People wonder why Dennis Gilbert (Author’s Note: Special Assistant to the Chairman) is around.”

“Mike Shirley is the darling of amateur scouts right now. (Author’s Note: Shirley is the Director of Amateur Scouting) He’s the power broker. I heard him saying that he’s been in baseball a long time, I looked up his career and it was only a couple of years maybe a half season of at-bats.”

“I think Chris Getz (Author’s Note: Getz is an Assistant General Manager and in charge of Player Development) is getting to much power to soon but I like him, he’s got some interesting ideas.”

“There are department heads in the organization who don’t know what they are doing, worse, all they care about is getting ahead themselves, some of them are real snakes.”

hmm...these people are idiots. Checks out they work in the sox.

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

What shareholder return?   The team will be in the dumps for the next few seasons coming, revenues will take a huge hit while still trying to get out a few bad contracts  (Hendricks, Moncada, Eloy, Benintendi).  

This is heading into Oakland A's level tank IMO.

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic