The press conference thread

bmags

4 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

It shouldn't, Salvy will be a 34 year old catcher with a big contract. I have no clue how his value could possibly be that high. 

I mean realistically, Salvy should be a pure salary dump. 

He's been below replacement level in 2023. 

Yeah but he’s the face of the franchise, think about how important that is! Montgomery and Schultz.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Why?  He's the second  guy Getz should fire (after Haber).   Even JR mentioned in his press conference (the one he answered questions) that the removed the guy because they wanted more out of draft. I thought he was still around just to be a Hahn fan-boy 

Wait - Jerry mentioned hostetler by name and said that? 

2 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I dont understand the public commitment to Grifol. He and Pedro reportedly have a good relationship. That was apparent when Pedro greeted him after the conference. If that's the case why don't you privately tell Pedro he will be back in 2024. Then when asked publicly state something to the effect of "nobody's job is safe and everyone should be playing, coaching and managing like someone is pushing to take their job." An easy win with the fan base and maybe a kick in the butt to the players. I dunno. This whole organization just makes things so much harder than necessary. 

I think turning his back on the Royals' Grifol and 2014/15 legacy constitutes a breach in the Getz/KC Success Backstory which is at least 1/4th or 1/3rd of the reason he now finds himself as White Sox GM.

Tossing Grifol out would undercut some of the validity of the KC Success Translates to Sox World Series team lol.

If they were so tightly connected in KC...why would Getz blame Grifol and not KW or Hahn instead for 2023?  Conversely, it would look bad to not support him now as manager when he clearly could have voiced his concerns a year ago...that Grifol was not well suited for the Sox manager's job.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Why?  He's the second  guy Getz should fire (after Haber).   Even JR mentioned in his press conference (the one he answered questions) that the removed the guy because they wanted more out of draft. I thought he was still around just to be a Hahn fan-boy 

I was shocked that JR was so candid about that. And in typically Sox fashion, they removed him as Scouting Director but put him in charge of pro scouting.

Edited by Joshua Strong

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Wait - Jerry mentioned hostetler by name and said that? 

After finally listening to Jerry's part, he was talking about Chris' qualifications and said something along the lines of 

"A few years ago we made a quiet change. We weren't like our draft picks, so we got rid of the guy making them. Then hired a new guy and we love those picks."

Basically just shitting on Hostetler, who is still employed by the team as far as I'm aware, to prop up Getz.

If Shirley was a Getz decision (and somehow not KW/Hahn?), it was a good one, but it was hysterical to listen to.

17 hours ago, Spumoni said:

"It became clear that Chris would be a major candidate as well as these outside candidates. Then I realized that if I brought someone in from the outside it’s going to take them a year. He’s going to have to evaluate everyone in the organization.”

Jesus Christ....  F*** off Jerry

I'm still stuck on this.  This is absolutely laughable and insulting- this is an argument against hiring outside the organization in *literally every situation* (I mean, what organization would be crazy enough to "lose a whole year"?)  Of course this is not true, teams hire from the outside all the time: it's the norm, in fact.  Does he think he's talking to three-year-olds?

17 hours ago, Tony said:

Jerry confirms he "knew" everyone on his "outside" list, but it would take a year for them to "learn the organization" and Jerry doesn't want to waste a year, so he went with Chris. 

Got it. 

First of all, is this even true? Don't front office types know all the organizations fairly well?

Secondly, what is taking a year to learn matter anyway? This team isn't competing in 2024 unless multiple 9-figure contracts are handed out, and we know that's not happening.

• Like 1

It should take everyone at SoxTalk no more than an hour or so to look at the Top 30 list and realize the majority of talent is at least 1-3 years away.

The first order of business should be sitting down with Katz and mapping out a plan for the Top 15-20 starting prospects in the minors as well as developing a strategy with Cease Kopech and Crochet among others for 2024.

Whatever you call it (Camp Birmingham)... developing starting pitching internally is going to be a critical key to success without spending serious money to bring in talent via FA.

Edited by caulfield12

26 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It should take everyone at SoxTalk no more than an hour or so to look at the Top 30 list and realize the majority of talent is at least 1-3 years away.

The first order of business should be sitting down with Katz and mapping out a plan for the Top 15-20 starting prospects in the minors as well as developing a strategy with Cease Kopech and Crochet among others for 2024.

Whatever you call it (Camp Birmingham)... developing starting pitching internally is going to be a critical key to success without spending serious money to bring in talent via FA.

With Giolitto gone, will Katz have a job?  If Griffol is kept, I can't imagine some people not being changed for appearance sake.  Katz was  a holdover so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

41 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

First of all, is this even true? Don't front office types know all the organizations fairly well?

Secondly, what is taking a year to learn matter anyway? This team isn't competing in 2024 unless multiple 9-figure contracts are handed out, and we know that's not happening.

But that is sort of the root of the problem, in that sentence. He doesn't see things the way we do. And quite frankly, we've been proven right far more than he has. 

5 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

With Giolitto gone, will Katz have a job?  If Griffol is kept, I can't imagine some people not being changed for appearance sake.  Katz was  a holdover so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

normally i'm no conservative about getting new coaches in there. I think there is too much handwringing about it.

But Katz definitely developed our pitching better than whatever the hell happened in KC with their 400 college pitchers they drafted.

• Like 1

Katz was awful as was Grifol.  Getz should hire his own Manager and coaching staff.  That would send a message to JR, the FO, the players and the fans that he is in control of the baseball side of the organization, which is what his expanded role as Exec VP/GM calls for.  Grifol is better suited as a stat analyst who stays up at night watching the prior night's game. He lacks the moxie necessary for a field manager.

5 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I'm still stuck on this.  This is absolutely laughable and insulting- this is an argument against hiring outside the organization in *literally every situation* (I mean, what organization would be crazy enough to "lose a whole year"?)  Of course this is not true, teams hire from the outside all the time: it's the norm, in fact.  Does he think he's talking to three-year-olds?

Yeah it's the dumb Chicago comment of the last many years. I mean my gawd, Sox aren't suddenly going to be a contender next year, even though they play in the sad Central Division. That's what JR thinks by the way. He embraces the weakness of the Central and thinks it won't take long to be atop that division. Sox had a chance to rule the division after 2005. Never happened. Hiring Getz is a huge mistake. Certainly there's somebody in baseball who is excellent who JR could have gotten.

If JR is so concerned about "losing a season," he should have done something decisive back in April. The team was 7-21 and obviously going nowhere. But he sat on his hands like he always does.

The truth is he doesn't want anyone from the outside looking at and evaluating his team. He'd have to face up to the simple fact that his way doesn't work and really never has. 

Perhaps Getz will do a good job, but he has JR to answer to. Things look bleak. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tray said:

Katz was awful as was Grifol.  Getz should hire his own Manager and coaching staff.  That would send a message to JR, the FO, the players and the fans that he is in control of the baseball side of the organization, which is what his expanded role as Exec VP/GM calls for.  Grifol is better suited as a stat analyst who stays up at night watching the prior night's game. He lacks the moxie necessary for a field manager.

Allegedly Getz was a Grifol supporter during the interview process last off-season, so in a way Pedro could be his "guy" as well. 

2 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Allegedly Getz was a Grifol supporter during the interview process last off-season, so in a way Pedro could be his "guy" as well. 

No way Getz could possibly have had an unreasonable bias towards a Royals player. I’m sure his performance this year has earned his faith.