Getz goes into detail...

Lip Man 1

With DVS of the Sun-Times:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/9/9/23865988/tough-job-times-two-ahead-for-white-sox-getz-grifol

Reinsdorf said the Sox’ core is good enough to make rebuilding unnecessary. A naysayer would say the core is at the heart of one of the worst teams in club history. And Getz is observant enough to know trading from the core might be the thing to do.

“I think so,” he said. “We’re a team that needs to get more athletic.”

Reading between the lines, that might speak to trading Eloy Jimenez, an offensive threat who isn’t running well and is currently restricted to designated-hitter duty.

“I spoke about the defense, we’ve seen some of the baserunning that’s been frustrating, whether that’s related to effort or the ability to actually take the extra base, all things that are being evaluated and most likely need to be adjusted,” Getz said.

“With regard to the makeup of the roster, it would be shortsighted not to at least exhaust or at least entertain some ways to improve the team. When you’re a sub-60-win team, which we are at this point, I certainly need to find ways to improve this for 2024. And if that means we need to acquire some players by moving some of the players who are on this roster, I’m willing to do that.”

Edited by Lip Man 1

“These last couple of weeks of the season, I need to spend more time with Pedro, the coaching staff and the players just to learn more about areas that we need to get better,” Getz said.

Learn more about areas we need to get better, that would be pitching, hitting fielding, trading, drafting, player development, have I missed anything?

Edited by Chimpton
Spelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

With DVS of the Sun-Times:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/9/9/23865988/tough-job-times-two-ahead-for-white-sox-getz-grifol

Reinsdorf said the Sox’ core is good enough to make rebuilding unnecessary. A naysayer would say the core is at the heart of one of the worst teams in club history. And Getz is observant enough to know trading from the core might be the thing to do.

“I think so,” he said. “We’re a team that needs to get more athletic.”

Reading between the lines, that might speak to trading Eloy Jimenez, an offensive threat who isn’t running well and is currently restricted to designated-hitter duty.

“I spoke about the defense, we’ve seen some of the baserunning that’s been frustrating, whether that’s related to effort or the ability to actually take the extra base, all things that are being evaluated and most likely need to be adjusted,” Getz said.

“With regard to the makeup of the roster, it would be shortsighted not to at least exhaust or at least entertain some ways to improve the team. When you’re a sub-60-win team, which we are at this point, I certainly need to find ways to improve this for 2024. And if that means we need to acquire some players by moving some of the players who are on this roster, I’m willing to do that.”

Just do it how you rebuilt the farm system. 

• Haha 1

Where do you start with this team, near the bottom in all offensive categories being last in OBP and BB. There are no untouchables except for Robert and hopefully Montgomery will be ready in 2025 so there is your core.
I’m not sure how they get rid of Moncada with his contract, he has been pretty good lately but can’t be counted on, on a couple of swings last night he fell to his knees as something was buckling, I’m sure he will be going on the IL soon. Eloy’s power numbers are down and he can’t run or play the outfield. Vaughn might bring something decent in return but he’s another station to station player. TA right now won’t bring much in return, in order to trade him we have to pick up his option, I’d pay him the million bucks and send him packing. Benintendi isn’t a bad player but far from great and won’t bring much in return either. I think those guys are the core that JR speaks of and if he thinks that you can build around those guys it’s obvious that JR is getting delusional in his old age. 
I haven’t even mentioned the mess that we have as a pitching staff and of course there’s the manager and the coaches with none of them earning their salaries. 
I think Getz is figuring some things out but if he’s relying on Grifol for his input and that Grifol will lead the team to the promised land, he’s barking up the wrong tree. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2
  • Hawk 1

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

We have a front row seat to a guy who threw away a long term baseball career on a couple years as GM. You can't recover from this organization.  He needed to get out not up.  

I hope he saves his money. 

Did he though?  Was any other org hiring Chris Getz in any role? I doubt it. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chimpton said:

“These last couple of weeks of the season, I need to spend more time with Pedro, the coaching staff and the players just to learn more about areas that we need to get better,” Getz said.

Learn more about areas we need to get better, that would be pitching, hitting firelding, trading, drafting, player development, have I missed anything?

Jerry is such an assclown. “The Sox couldn’t afford a year for a guy from the outside, Getz knows the organization”. 

And what the f*** dies Pedro and his weakass staff know beyond losing and loafing, same as Getz’ tenure in player development.

9 hours ago, hi8is said:

Blah blah blah blah blah… should I go on… blah blah blah blah blah.

Hahn at least dished out higher quality and at times entertaining bullshit.

Every time Getz speaks, this is all I hear:

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

If Eloy gets traded who bats cleanup? They would have nobody  batting behind Robert Jr.  Robert Jr would have nobody protecting him. The teams would simply pitch around him.

You think teams are intimidated by his .754 OPS? And that guys like this are hard to find? Meanwhile here’s Atlanta:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You think teams are intimidated by his .754 OPS? And that guys like this are hard to find? Meanwhile here’s Atlanta:

Atlanta Position Player 2023 fWAR = 34.3

Luis Robert Jr. 2023 fWAR = 5.1

Rest of the White Sox Position Player 2023 fWAR = 0.0.

Just a thought, but I would say a smarter team would have traded Vaughn for a AA pitcher and moved Burger to 1B. Jake would have hit for more power and played better defense than AV.

Now we have Getz relying on this crappy coaching staff to evaluate talent? That's nuts.

• Like 3
  • TLR 1

5 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Did he though?  Was any other org hiring Chris Getz in any role? I doubt it. 

I think he could have grabbed a similar role in a better organization and slowly moved up.  He wouldn't have gotten a top spot leaving the Sox

13 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I believe Getz WANTS to do it. But I still believe Reinsdorf will be the one who WON'T let him do it. Then the backlash will begin people saying Getz isn't doing anything. That's the issue.

Is that why the announcement included him wearing sunglasses, so we can't see the shock in his eyes when good players pass on the Sox in free agency?

• Haha 1