Josh Barfield expected to be asst. GM; Brian Bannister and Gene Watson coming as well

Heads22

The good news is there should be a larger talent pool to build what Scott Harris has for the cubs and hawks than when he originally built one. I would like to hear Getz putting more of this stuff in-house, as my assumption is its relying on vendors.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I still doubt that JR instructed Hahn "don't spend $10 mill on development and analytics; spend it on Joe Kelly instead."
Of course it was JR who gave Hahn and KW the keys to the kingdom for 2 decades.
But really relieved to see Getz building a FO team.

I mentioned my theory about the downside of executives this long in the tooth is only fighting a battle once. Maybe they did fight for more at one point, lost to Jerry, and then just gave up for 15 years, whereas in new turnover people who have used it before to good effect may convince again.

I have no idea what its like to work in a baseball org, but that concept at least makes sense to me. So many things that should be done getting shut down because 5-6 years ago it was tried. Then randomly somebody doesn't care and just forces it in and its a good idea.

OTOH, Jerry definitely has re-asserted himself as a control freak owner with horrible ideas as we've seen in the press conference, so maybe he really has been extremely stubborn on that front.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I still doubt that JR instructed Hahn "don't spend $10 mill on development and analytics; spend it on Joe Kelly instead."
Of course it was JR who gave Hahn and KW the keys to the kingdom for 2 decades.
But really relieved to see Getz building a FO team.

I'm still pretty sure that the #1 person who said Joe Kelly is being signed was Tony LaRussa. I'm not sure what else went into that, but basically the press said it happened because of him and he personally bragged about how good the signing was going to be right after it happened.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

The first two seem to be solid hires, excellent in terms of Sox grading curve.

Do you or anyone have some success stories regarding Gene Watson? I found a few articles of him praising Dayton Moore but not much substance beyond that in terms of scouting success stories. 

What role did he play in terms of helping build the 2014/2015 Royals?

December 2020 https://www.mlb.com/news/royals-scout-gene-watson-accepts-job-with-angels

September 2021 https://www.mlb.com/news/gene-watson-assistant-to--gm--for-royals

September 2021 https://www.mlb.com/royals/team/front-office/gene-watson

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm still pretty sure that the #1 person who said Joe Kelly is being signed was Tony LaRussa. I'm not sure what else went into that, but basically the press said it happened because of him and he personally bragged about how good the signing was going to be right after it happened.

Kelly, or Graveman or Keuchel or ...you get the picture.  Kelly is a metaphor for mediocre FA of your choice.

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Do you or anyone have some success stories regarding Gene Watson? I found a few articles of him praising Dayton Moore but not much substance beyond that in terms of scouting success stories. 

December 2020 https://www.mlb.com/news/royals-scout-gene-watson-accepts-job-with-angels

September 2021 https://www.mlb.com/news/gene-watson-assistant-to--gm--for-royals

FWIW, I saw a Royals fan on Twitter claim Watson has been a big problem to their scouting success and was soon to be fired.  Who knows if true, but the fact he is a Royals guy doesn’t make me optimistic.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

this is the hire that seems out of place. It concerns me that he hasn't played baseball since before Luis Robert was born, it concerns me that the Royals have a garbage farm system under him despite having all losing seasons and it concerns me that he evidently has a very deep, personal relationship with Dayton Moore.  He seems like a balding nepo baby that has failed up for the last 30 years, but maybe that's inaccurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

FWIW, I saw a Royals fan on Twitter claim Watson has been a big problem to their scouting success and was soon to be fired.  Who knows if true, but the fact he is a Royals guy doesn’t make me optimistic.

I mean why did they hire him back then? Different ownership/FO, no reason to bring him back from Royals.

While the first two hires provide initial optimism, this Watson guy appears to be a crony Good Old Boy Network lifer.

The Sox desperately need to improve scouting in every area (domestic amateur, international, MLB). This hire does not appear to be the correct answer to oversee a successful overhaul, and leads to a suspicion Dayton Moore and other hacks will also soon arrive as teams are eliminated.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:04 AM, GreenSox said:

Yes, perhaps in a fairytale.

Do you disagree? The quote was:

AZ has built a super young wild card team, has been a top farm for years now. They are led by one of the most complete players in baseball and he’s in year 2. It’s a great place to pick for player dev.

In 2020, the Sox had built a super young playoff team & had been a top farm for years. They were led by one of the most conplete players in baseball (Robert)

See how Hahn did the same thing now?

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

AZ has built a super young wild card team, has been a top farm for years now. They are led by one of the most complete players in baseball and he’s in year 2. It’s a great place to pick for player dev.

In 2020, the Sox had built a super young playoff team & had been a top farm for years. They were led by one of the most conplete players in baseball (Robert)

Carroll was a lot more fundamentally solid.

Similarly dynamic athletic skills and five tool guys (although it's closer to 4 1/2 with Robert's arm far from accurate and simply the decision-making process of choosing which base to throw to)...

Btw, jury is still out on Alek Thomas (who everyone assumed was White Sox bound due to his father working for the team at that time).

It's more than Carroll, though.   For instance, the scouting on Zac Gallen prior to the trade with the Marlins.  Or the development of Ketel Marte into one of the most complete all-around players nobody has heard of outside the West Coast.

Of course, the DBacks are a much much younger team than the 2021-2023 White Sox as well.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Yes, I disagree; they were never particularly young, and as soon as they got good the farm sucked again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1