MLB Trade Rumors - Chicago White Sox Offseason Outlook - by Tim Dierkes

South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Then I have a team they can look at as a good glimpse for how the future will go.

I just meant I bet they’ll be more likely to spend the prospect capital on guys with 2+ years of control rather than hand out 9-figure deals.

Sox rebuild  never had the overflow of talent to trade.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I mean maybe Baltimore panics after that ALCS

I feel like the panic will be for the finding some of these mercenary pitchers who are playoff legends. If you aren’t trying to get a scherzer when they are available at the deadline, you don’t want a World Series, period.

You don’t want berrioses. 

Not many of em though.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don’t think they have the ammo to get Cease unless they trade guys from their MLB team.

I do think there is something to a deal that gets you Gorman (LH power) and a Tommy Edman for a Cease. It's an non-traditional deal, but as you move around Moncada, you get a real solid 2b and more legitimate LH power (worse d, undoubtedly)

Why do this for Cards? Gorman at 2b isn't working out. They have Mason Wynn arriving for SS and they have brendan donovan.

I don't think this is realistic but I do think it's an interesting Kenny Williams trade.

TA can man 2B and leave Yo at 3B. SS is now a big hole. Might as well keep Colas in RF. I would prefer to replace Sheets who is failing. So lefty slugger is still a need. Catching is very thin. We would be lucky if Getz can plug a couple of holes and take it from there. They would never own up to the need for a rebuild. Getz is not likely to be aggressive in upgrading the team. 

7 minutes ago, pcq said:

TA can man 2B and leave Yo at 3B. SS is now a big hole. Might as well keep Colas in RF. I would prefer to replace Sheets who is failing. So lefty slugger is still a need. Catching is very thin. We would be lucky if Getz can plug a couple of holes and take it from there. They would never own up to the need for a rebuild. Getz is not likely to be aggressive in upgrading the team. 

TA at SS with someone like Adam Frazier at 2B on a cheap one year deal or move TA to 2B and sign Rosario for SS.

If Merrifield is a possible target, Frazier should be too.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the decades it’s to trade durable starting pitchers for second basemen

Or that moving defensive liabilities on the infield to corner outfield spots doesn't exactly come close to making them plus defenders out there...

Edited by caulfield12

22 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Bryce Harper at $25M a year looks pretty damn good right now compared to *maybe* paying Sal Perez $21M a year. Makes no sense they didn’t pursue him harder that one off-season. Was a better fit than Machado. Sigh.

They needed that to pay Moncada next year.  The money will be spent. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bmags said:

I do think there is something to a deal that gets you Gorman (LH power) and a Tommy Edman for a Cease. It's an non-traditional deal, but as you move around Moncada, you get a real solid 2b and more legitimate LH power (worse d, undoubtedly)

Why do this for Cards? Gorman at 2b isn't working out. They have Mason Wynn arriving for SS and they have brendan donovan.

I don't think this is realistic but I do think it's an interesting Kenny Williams trade.

But like in what bizarro, non-Euclidean universe could any semi-literate person come to the conclusion that the White Sox could afford to trade starting pitching from their MLB roster going into 2024? Like, I know I've been beating the ever-loving s*** out of the "Sox don't have enough pitching depth" drum since, it feels like maybe since I was born at this point, but there are literally two starting pitchers on the 40-man right now other than Cease. The rotation would actually be ACE Mike Clevinger, Touki Toussant, and 3 bullpen games per week. And Clevinger is gone anyway because he has a mutual option. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

32 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

But like in what bizarro, non-Euclidean universe could any semi-literate person come to the conclusion that the White Sox could afford to trade starting pitching from their MLB roster going into 2024? Like, I know I've been beating the ever-loving s*** out of the "Sox don't have enough pitching depth" drum since, it feels like maybe since I was born at this point, but there are literally two starting pitchers on the 40-man right now other than Cease. The rotation would actually be ACE Mike Clevinger, Touki Toussant, and 3 bullpen games per week. And Clevinger is gone anyway because he has a mutual option. 

Touki Toussant about to obliterate Will White's 1879 record of 680 IP in a season.

• Haha 1

Salvy is not a good addition. Pedro wants him for leadership huh? His leadership couldn't help KC escape patheticness the last 2 seasons.

Please get rid of Pedro. Geez. How dumb do they think their ticket buyers are. You don't fork over money to see Pedro-ball. Say no to Whit as well.

If Sox do get Salvy, they are getting an old guy who is not fast anymore and doubtful he'll hit 30 homers even in the Cell. I'd rather have Mike Massey than Whit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Salvy is not a good addition. Pedro wants him for leadership huh? His leadership couldn't help KC escape patheticness the last 2 seasons.

Please get rid of Pedro. Geez. How dumb do they think their ticket buyers are. You don't fork over money to see Pedro-ball. Say no to Whit as well.

If Sox do get Salvy, they are getting an old guy who is not fast anymore and doubtful he'll hit 30 homers even in the Cell. I'd rather have Mike Massey than Whit.

This is exactly right. 8 years in a row the Royals haven't been above .500. And that's with this guy in his prime years. Merrifeild in his prime years and Benintendi as well. 

If this stuff is true, MLB needs to step in.

• Like 2