Kim Ng walks away from Marlins

Buehrle>Wood

15 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

It would be interesting to know if the Sox are even interested in bringing Ng back.  I don't see her wanting to take a job as an advisor or something that doesn't give her some decision authority.  So, it would have to be as president of baseball operations or something like that.

Honestly, the only person who would probably be upset is Getz if they hired her.  I don't think there's anyone, aside from JR, who thinks promoting Getz as the sole decision maker was a good idea.  Which, if he did hire Ng as Getz's boss, would be ironic.

Should he even be mad? Dude got promoted to be a GM without basically any qualifications (it seems). Guy is set for the next decade+ (or whenever JR dies).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

sorry not twins most successful post season ever, obviously. but ended the streak, etc.

As bad as the Central is and has been, the Sox and Royals have won a World Series in recent memory (KC getting to the WS twice). The Tigers (twice) and Guardians have been to the WS.

And you have the Twins getting to the playoffs ten times since 2002. They advanced past the first round just twice. Has to suck to be a fan of that team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

As bad as the Central is and has been, the Sox and Royals have won a World Series in recent memory (KC getting to the WS twice). The Tigers (twice) and Guardians have been to the WS.

And you have the Twins getting to the playoffs ten times since 2002. They advanced past the first round just twice. Has to suck to be a fan of that team.

I would love to have the chance to see the Sox get to the playoffs 10 times in 21 years myself regardless of what happened.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

It would be interesting to know if the Sox are even interested in bringing Ng back.  I don't see her wanting to take a job as an advisor or something that doesn't give her some decision authority.  So, it would have to be as president of baseball operations or something like that.

Honestly, the only person who would probably be upset is Getz if they hired her.  I don't think there's anyone, aside from JR, who thinks promoting Getz as the sole decision maker was a good idea.  Which, if he did hire Ng as Getz's boss, would be ironic.

well I actually COULD see her taking those roles in the first paragraph just as hold overs. not many GM positions open right now.

But for her sake she should try to do that at an org likely to succeed. 

23 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Not happening. JR specifically said he wants one voice and that voice is Getz.

you actually believe JR? smart talented people don't become available every day. Getz and

others of his ilk are always available.

Edited by zisk
delete

56 minutes ago, zisk said:

you actually believe JR? smart talented people don't become available every day. Getz and

others of his ilk are always available.

Believing or not has nothing to do with it. Until shown otherwise all we have to go on are his public comments. It would be nice if somehow she rejoined the organization in a serious capacity but as Margulis wrote today (I linked to his story in this thread) it is not happening.  

Kim Ng is the ideal person for JR to hire...and oddly enough was an analytical mind before they were cool in the MLB

She was with the White Sox in their heyday.  The 90s White Sox with her were as good as any era and actually one of the best in baseball over that time.  She would always be second fiddle to Kenny Williams.  

She was Asst GM with the Yankees and won 3 titles 

She has been around a lot of ball clubs and at a high level at MLB and is all of 54 years old. 

This is easily sold as being the only option JR would make but was inconceivable in August when the Getz debacle happens.

She is someone that can become what KW was not, a leader of the organization.  

Of course none of this would happen because JR is bitter she left and he's a fool.

This move would not be questioned by any media source and would be covered for months.  She could no worse then the s%*# show he ran out of town and she buffers Getz. 

If there is a sale of the team on the table, the next regime can rely on her as proven commodity not only in the day to day baseball operations but has connection in the MLB front office.

Alas this has no chance of happening.

• Haha 1

Kim Ng will accept a team's orgizational offer to be the President of baseball ops. It just wont be with the White Sox. 

Jerry made it clear that he wants ONE sole voice at the top. He eliminated Kenny's position after he terminated both he and Hahn. The problem is, Jerry rushed the promotional hire of Getz and didn't even entertain the idea of interviewing outside people. And today, sadly-- an awesome candidate becomes available and you suddenly don't have a position for her. 

One thing I wouldn't overlook (which goes against Jerry's history) is the fact if 2024 is a complete failure as most of us expect it to be, does Jerry do the unthinkable and fire a GM after one season and bring in Kim Ng (pending she is still seeking employment) ?

Edited by GreatScott82

8 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Kim Ng is the ideal person for JR to hire...and oddly enough was an analytical mind before they were cool in the MLB

She was with the White Sox in their heyday.  The 90s White Sox with her were as good as any era and actually one of the best in baseball over that time.  She would always be second fiddle to Kenny Williams.  

She was Asst GM with the Yankees and won 3 titles 

She has been around a lot of ball clubs and at a high level at MLB and is all of 54 years old. 

This is easily sold as being the only option JR would make but was inconceivable in August when the Getz debacle happens.

She is someone that can become what KW was not, a leader of the organization.  

Of course none of this would happen because JR is bitter she left and he's a fool.

This move would not be questioned by any media source and would be covered for months.  She could no worse then the s%*# show he ran out of town and she buffers Getz. 

If there is a sale of the team on the table, the next regime can rely on her as proven commodity not only in the day to day baseball operations but has connection in the MLB front office.

Alas this has no chance of happening.

Any reason to believe JR is bitter towards her? I've heard him talk about her multiple times and was nothing but positive.  Same for her about JR.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony said:

I don't think that's the case either. When the Getz hire was made, Kim Ng wasn't available. It's a very easy spin for any organization with $0.02 cents of PR skill. "The Marlins loss is the White Sox gain and we're incredibly excited to welcome back Kim Ng to the White Sox family." It shows a willingness to get better, be aggressive, etc. They would look good. And while Getz would be knocked down a peg, he's a big boy. 

I agree completely.  

2 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

That would be nice. But looking back as the Twins, that has to hurt.

I'm a simple person. Do I want my team to win the championship - absolutely, but I enjoy baseball and look at it from a how much fun did I have in any given season. 10 seasons making the playoffs in 21 - means I had at least 10 really fun 162 game seasons. Playoffs weren't fun - but the team was fun for 162 out of 165 games every year.  The playoffs, sure those stunk, but it doesn't take away from the fun regular season / entertainment value for that.

Inverse is - Marlins win 2 world series and are largely irrelevant outside of that.  The memories from those 2 world series championships for the fans I'm sure is fun - but there are also what 15 years of pure misery where your season was over by the time April was done.  That is just miserable as a fan.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Ng probably gets fired anyways after this past season if the Marlins didn’t have extreme luck in close games.  As bmags wrote earlier, hiring her wouldn’t have caused much reason for optimism.

The thing is, I would have still taken her over Getz.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

You gotta kind of admire it, to be one of those people who doesn’t give a s%*# what you think. But maybe it’s also a bit sociopathic.

Sociopathic for sure, and honestly kind of sad. It's always strange to me when that type of thing is praised or seen as a positive trait in someone.

4 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Should he even be mad? Dude got promoted to be a GM without basically any qualifications (it seems). Guy is set for the next decade+ (or whenever JR dies).

They could put her in charge of Getz in case he Getz 2 stoopid. I would do it in a South Side minute. 

• Like 1

on topic: I getz that Ng is far and away the superior candidate but I feel like it's too late and it would only be damaging to hire her as president or whatever unless you actually remove Getz from the organization entirely. Who's the boss? Who are employees supposed to actually listen to when their two bosses give them conflicting orders? Try working in an environment like this some time, you probably won't want to stay long. 

I actually find it amusing how gung-ho some people are to re-create the exact same organizational f***-up that only ended a few months ago. Wishing Ng the best but it won't be with this team unless Getz spectacularly fucks up and is fired before she gets another job. A committed SoxTalk poster would be trying to find his skeletons. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoeC said:

The nice thing is that if the Sox stay the course and don't do anything with Ng, the Getz hire looks as horrible as it is.

If the Sox decide to go for Ng, they have gone back on their word about Getz being the "sole decision maker," and they look horrible in doing so.

Way to go, Jerry.

Looking horrible in all possible scenarios. Jerry calls that the ol' "guaranteed rate."