Paul Janish Hired as Director of Player Development

DirtySox

My question, as usual with the Sox: Was Paul Janish even in the conversation for any other MLB team to take any sort of development role, let alone the head of player development for an entire organization? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

My question, as usual with the Sox: Was Paul Janish even in the conversation for any other MLB team to take any sort of development role, let alone the head of player development for an entire organization? 

But he probably works cheap! 😄

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

31 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

An assistant coach for a college team?

They had to try very hard to make the hire sound legitimate. It was a step above saying, “he has 30+ years of professional baseball experience, and now we’re going to break down his time playing going back to t-ball.” 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don't see any connection to Getz, the Royals, or anything to do with developing players beyond the collegiate baseball.

Not sure if Chris Getz plans on speaking to the media before Spring Training, but it would be helpful to Sox fans if Getz and the new hires conducted a Q & A to get a sense of what the direction of the team is, and stating the reason(s) and thought process behind bringing in guys like Bannister, Barfield, Watson and Janish.

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don't see any connection to Getz, the Royals, or anything to do with developing players beyond the collegiate baseball.

Not sure if Chris Getz plans on speaking to the media before Spring Training, but it would be helpful to Sox fans if Getz and the new hires conducted a Q & A to get a sense of what the direction of the team is, and stating the reason(s) and thought process behind bringing in guys like Bannister, Barfield, Watson and Janish.

Scott Merkin will happily provide the softball Q and A article that you’re seeking.

• Like 1

Getz must be self aware of how he (undeservedly) made it through the ranks, and now feels like he has to pay it forward by bringing someone unexperienced (even by his standards) to fill his position. 

That idea of finding the next Getz makes me sense to me than any other reason. You could find a lot of other cheap options who have atleast coached one day in a ML system. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Tony said:

The press release sure went out of its way to state how many Rice guys were drafted during his time there. Whether he had a hand in any of that is anyone's guess.

49 minutes ago, Tony said:

Probably not, and that’s how they will control him. No one else wanted Paul. No one else sure as hell wanted to put him in the position the White Sox did. So he better follow the plan of Getz or else he’s back to being an assistant coach. Reinsdorf has taught him well. 

4 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Probably not, and that’s how they will control him. No one else wanted Paul. No one else sure as hell wanted to put him in the position the White Sox did. So he better follow the plan of Getz or else he’s back to being an assistant coach. Reinsdorf has taught him well. 

https://x.com/Steve02270/status/1720161309726052472?s=20

2014 World Champion with the Royals

Edited by Scott Merkin Fan

Surround yourself with people who are better, smarter, and more capable than you are is an old business adage. For Getz that is so easy an assistant college coach and high school coach with zero MLB experience meet the criteria.

• Like 1