Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

1 hour ago, tray said:

I am not sure what all the faux outrage over Bennetti is about here. He was never that well liked on this forum. He wasn't fired by the White Sox. He decided to look for more money, more flexibility to do national broadcasts, and more days off. Sox on the other hand, didn't want a play by play man that required several days off at whatever price he was asking. They also did not want to be forced to fill in several dates with guest broadcasters which is not easily done. Moreover, we don't know what might have gone on behind the scenes that may have caused some issues between him, Steve Stone or other members of the broadcast  team or management. At the end of the day, good luck.  It's just that this feels so weird to be happening right now and I am left with feeling that may be more to this than we know about.

First off, we have no idea if he left for more money. Since he was under contract, he couldn't just leave. He is working at least 127 games which is 35 off, same as what he was doing. Whether you like him or not, he was a White Sox fan long before he became a broadcaster, and he left, after being encouraged to listen to a rival by the team that he loved and worked for. 

Lip had a piece around a year ago where he talked to people and they came up with many issues. When I read it, my first thought was cmon man. Not that I thought Lip made any of it up, but I figured his sources were making things look way crazier than they could be.  As time has gone on abd stories leaked, its been spot on.One issue was the broadcasters and how there was a lot of discontent  there. Then Hawk goes on AJs podcast and let's Brooks  Boyer have it. I've had a couple on encounters with Brooks, and he was great to me, but Hawk has an issue. Jason apparently does too as Jon Greenberg of the Athletic said their relationship was not the best. 

But I think where most are missing the point is this guy loved the White Sox, like most everyone on this site. He was under contract. Yet for some reason, and it may be money, but I just doubt it., I think itwas something else. He goes to Detroit? The percentage of people on this site, who if they were the television voice of the White Sox would just someday say, the one thing better than this would be calling Tiger games is miniscule. 

He isn't Harry. He isn't Haawk. But he's good, and he's one of us. Love him or hate him his replacement is almost certainly a downgrade. Maybe they figure so few will be watching it doesn't matter. 

I just hope someday soon they hire a guy who will be synonymous with the White Sox for a couple of decades.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

First off, we have no idea if he left for more money. Since he was under contract, he couldn't just leave. He is working at least 127 games which is 35 off, same as what he was doing. Whether you like him or not, he was a White Sox fan long before he became a broadcaster, and he left, after being encouraged to listen to a rival by the team that he loved and worked for. 

Lip had a piece around a year ago where he talked to people and they came up with many issues. When I read it, my first thought was cmon man. Not that I thought Lip made any of it up, but I figured his sources were making things look way crazier than they could be.  As time has gone on abd stories leaked, its been spot on.One issue was the broadcasters and how there was a lot of discontent  there. Then Hawk goes on AJs podcast and let's Brooks  Boyer have it. I've had a couple on encounters with Brooks, and he was great to me, but Hawk has an issue. Jason apparently does too as Jon Greenberg of the Athletic said their relationship was not the best. 

But I think where most are missing the point is this guy loved the White Sox, like most everyone on this site. He was under contract. Yet for some reason, and it may be money, but I just doubt it., I think itwas something else. He goes to Detroit? The percentage of people on this site, who if they were the television voice of the White Sox would just someday say, the one thing better than this would be calling Tiger games is miniscule. 

He isn't Harry. He isn't Haawk. But he's good, and he's one of us. Love him or hate him his replacement is almost certainly a downgrade. Maybe they figure so few will be watching it doesn't matter. 

I just hope someday soon they hire a guy who will be synonymous with the White Sox for a couple of decades.

Anyone remember Guy Smiley?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's like the Antonio Brown list, which is worth a read.

Let's just start from after the World Series.

• 2006: Gets rid of Frank Thomas. Thomas finishes 4th in MVP voting in 2006. 
  • After opening a hole in CF by trading Rowand for Thome, they trade top prospect Chris Young for Javy Vazquez. 
    • Brian Anderson is bad.
  • Despite a monstrous offense powered by home runs in 2006, barely miss the playoffs.
  • 2007: Thanks to Kenny gutting the farm system and marquee free agent signings like Darin Erstad, they get old and bad.
    • Kenny's pseudo-rebuild/retool is built around top prospects like Josh Fields, Jerry Owens and Danny Richar.
    • The first round picks are all "safe" guys.
  • Sox miss out on acquiring Miguel Cabrera because Jerry doesn't want to take on Dontrelle Willis' contract.
  • 2008: They get to the playoffs but their MVP candidate breaks his hand cause he was angry and punched a bat.
  • KW Jr. drafted in the 6th round.
  • The Sox trade re-acquired Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney for Nick Swisher. 
  • Dave Wilder scandal
  • Swisher is shipped out after one year because he's toxic as hell.
  • 2009: Ozzie is getting on Ozzieball now. Rios is brought in to replace Dye. Thome is shipped to the Dodgers.
  • Beckham looks like the future at 3rd base, but the Sox decide they need Mark Teahen because even back then, they enjoyed trading with the Royals. Getz and Josh Fields are traded to the Royals. This creates a disastrous butterfly effect.
  • Sox pick Jared Mitchell ahead of Mike Trout cause Jerry hates high school players.
  • 2010: Sox trade Daniel Hudson for Edwin Jackson. Hudson is still pitching.
  • Because of Teahen, Beckham becomes the second basemen. He later talks about how this kinda played with his head.
  • The rotating DH
  • Ozzie and his kids become a distraction.
  • 2011: Adam Dunn
  • Ozzie negotiates with Marlins to leave mid-season
  • 2012: Robin Ventura hired despite no managerial experience.
  •  Jerry lets Buehrle leave for a reasonable contract
  • Trade Chris Devenski for Brett Myers
  • Trade Eduardo Escobar for Liriano
  • 2014 and 2013 are just sad, but can be summed up with stuff like Jeff Keppinger and Adrien Nieto
  • 2015: Sox go big!
    • Melky signing
    • Adam LaRoche
    • Trade Semien, Phegley, Bassitt and Ravelo for Samardzija and Ynoa
    • Sign Robertson but that was fine
  • 2016: The death spiral begins
    • Sox trade Montas, Thompson and Micah Johnson for Todd Frazier
    • Fucking Drake LaRoche
    • Trade Tatis (and Erik Johnson) for an imploding James Shields
  • 2017: Trade Sale, Eaton, and Q because they colossally fucked up everything.
  • 2018: Lose a lot, draft Nick Madrigal.
    • Lucas Giolito goes outside the organization because the instruction he's getting sucks.
  • 2019: Lose a lot, draft Vaughn to play first base.
  • Don't sign Machado when they were the only bidder because they tried to toy with him.
  • Don't even try for Bryce.
  • 2020: Have a real shot at Wheeler. Miss.
  • "We have an All-Star catcher. Sign another."
    • Tbh I was fine with Yasmani, but still kinda dumb.
  • Eloy gets hurt cause they never taught him how to play defense. Play Vaughn in left field.
    • Rush Crochet to majors as a reliever. Botch his development.
    • Burger and Sheets seeks development outside the organization.
  • Omar Vizquel scandal #1 breaks. 
  • 2021: Hire TLR despite having their pick of the litter.
  • Miss out on Joc because of a small amount of dollars.
  • Omar Vizquel scandal #2 breaks, this one with organizational implications.
  • TLR's nonsense.
  • Leury extension.
  • Rename Loretta's Lounge for no reason.
  • Acquire Craig Kimbrel, use him wrong.
  • Squabble with Giolito in arbitration.

And I don't even need to start typing out the past two years. And I missed other moments from the past 18 because I was just going off Baseball Almanac and my memory, but there are organizational things like not spending wisely internationally, home grown players like Flowers and Semien becoming better defenders once leaving the Sox, trading international spending allotment etc.

Being a Sox fan is death by a thousand cuts and Jerry is very pennywise/pound foolish. There's a reality where they have a homegrown infield of Semien/Tatis/Anderson/Abreu for the past few years. Don't even need to spend a Madrigal pick!

Everything they do is so fucking stupid and self inflicted.

Not landing Cabrera, Harper and Machado still pisses me off.  Every one of them could have easily been acquired but JR just wouldn't do it.  But he continually has no problem overpaying mediocre players.

9 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Not landing Cabrera, Harper and Machado still pisses me off.  Every one of them could have easily been acquired but JR just wouldn't do it.  But he continually has no problem overpaying mediocre players.

Jerry is the dude who will spend $200,000 fixing a 2005 Ford Focus instead of just buying a new car.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quin said:

I'm gonna still watch the Sox because they're my sunk cost fallacy and I know that I have a longer expected lifespan than Jerry.

I do wish I could watch the Mets though. If I could, I'd definitely be deviating. My sister-in-law didn't like baseball until she started dating her boyfriend, but because of their announcers she enjoys watching their games.

My dad did tell me he's gonna start watching more Dbacks games however, because he's just tired of the Sox nuking every shred of goodwill that they have.

Are they blacked out in your area? I always liked their TV side when I could get the feed, but Howie Rose has always been solid on the radio side (liked the Hagin pairing the best).

Sox are off TV for me, so won't miss anything, and even though I believe Jason's style is best suited for Football / Basketball / UFC, he has a great personality and I understand why most Sox fans under 50 or 60 would like him, which is why they should have kept him. It's as though they want to intentionally screw up the maximum like Fischer in Oakland.

I believe Gene Honda is the only non player the Sox can credibly claim is one of the best in the business at this stage. Stone is solid as well. Still miss Nancy Faust, another Boyer casualty.

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen on this forum and that’s impressive. 

It’s really embarrassing. It’s the White Sox under Jerry Reinsdorf though. Short-sighted, penny wise and pound foolish, etc. 

I’m sure Brooks Boyer has a fucking stiffy just thinking about putting a lame broadcaster from Notre Dame in the booth 

It’s not lazy. Robert is the best player on the team. It was a good way to point out how good Benetti is at his job. Saying he’s better at his job than Andrew Vaughn isn’t a compliment but Andrew Vaughn sucks. 

Lol, seriously you're that invested in the TV commentator for the White Sox?  I already acknowledged I realize I am in a small minority that were happy to see him leave.  I am sorry that me not being a big Jason Benetti fan like you is so upsetting.

Wasn’t on the site all day yesterday or earlier today, so I’m only just learning about this now.

I don’t particularly care about this move, but man, what does this franchise have going for it? I mean this honestly. What does this team have going well? Every aspect seems to be going down the shitter.

7 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Wasn’t on the site all day yesterday or earlier today, so I’m only just learning about this now.

I don’t particularly care about this move, but man, what does this franchise have going for it? I mean this honestly. What does this team have going well? Every aspect seems to be going down the shitter.

Nothing. And that's the point. 

It's fine if you don't like Jason. Seen plenty of those posts in this thread. He's actually not my favorite either. But I acknowledge his talent, along with near universal praise within the industry. That means something. This organization is at the lowest point it's been, probably ever, and they let one of the only "strengths" of the organization leave for Detroit...because why? 

What I can't wrap my head around is people like @tray always giving the Sox the "benefit of the doubt." "Oh I'm sure there is more to this story." The "more" in this case is how poorly this entire franchise is run by one man. That's the more. It's not complicated, it's not a conspiracy theory, no matter how hard you want it to be. He's an old, out of touch billionaire that has shown NO desire to run his organization with any sense of purpose, drive, or desire to achieve something greater than the absolute bare minimum. But keep defending that, it's going GREAT. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

It's fine if you don't like Jason. Seen plenty of those posts in this thread. He's actually not my favorite either. But I acknowledge his talent, along with near universal praise within the industry. That means something. This organization is at the lowest point it's been, probably ever, and they let one of the only "strengths" of the organization leave for Detroit...because why? 

What I can't wrap my head around is people like @tray always giving the Sox the "benefit of the doubt." "Oh I'm sure there is more to this story." The "more" in this case is how poorly this entire franchise is run by one man. That's the more. It's not complicated, it's not a conspiracy theory, no matter how hard you want it to be. He's an old, out of touch billionaire that has shown NO desire to run his organization with any sense of purpose, drive, or desire to achieve something greater than the absolute bare minimum. But keep defending that, it's going GREAT. 

At what point do the rest of the shareholders try to force him out?

I know they’re still making money, but they would almost certainly be making more if the franchise weren’t being run so poorly. Seems like a ton of money is being left on the table for no good reason.

20 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I know they’re still making money, but they would almost certainly be making more if the franchise weren’t being run so poorly. Seems like a ton of money is being left on the table for no good reason.

They can't. They literally can't. 

32 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I can’t imagine how bad the ticket sales and TV ratings will be next year

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Are they blacked out in your area? I always liked their TV side when I could get the feed, but Howie Rose has always been solid on the radio side (liked the Hagin pairing the best).

Sox are off TV for me, so won't miss anything, and even though I believe Jason's style is best suited for Football / Basketball / UFC, he has a great personality and I understand why most Sox fans under 50 or 60 would like him, which is why they should have kept him. It's as though they want to intentionally screw up the maximum like Fischer in Oakland.

I believe Gene Honda is the only non player the Sox can credibly claim is one of the best in the business at this stage. Stone is solid as well. Still miss Nancy Faust, another Boyer casualty.

Live in Brooklyn, so they're super blacked out. They're just the natural choice for a new team for me since I go to Cyclones games, most of my friends here that are baseball fans are Mets fans, and I just couldn't bring myself to be a Yankees fan.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox are stripping it down to the studs and preparing for some kind of sale imo. This is a horrible way to do it, but it's an archaic way so it's right up Jerry's alley. 

This explains pretty much every decision they've made. 

Been seeing this for 25 years.  It's gotta be on target sometime, right?  Law of Averages don'tcha know..

1 hour ago, Tony said:

It's really JR and Boyer who are the main culprits.

The only thing we lead the majors in is ticker sellers with high pressure almost extortionist tactics trying to guilt the 20% of ticket buyers who have always comprised 80% of attendance.

If they spent that money on scouting and development instead, they would actually have fans begging to come to games.  The product can and should sell itself.

Iowa can fill up a whole football stadium to watch Caitlyn Clark play an exhibition women's basketball game...Nebraska even can fill Memorial Stadium for volleyball.

Once again, f you have a great product and great players it sells itself.

The opposite is what results from a putrid overpriced product that has forced one of the Top 3-5 younger/ish broadcasting talents in the entire country to leave the team he grew up adoring for the freaking Detroit Tigers.

To add insult to injury...they're going to replace him with Beckham/McKnight/Huff or very best case scenario Mike Monaco...basically a hired gun who will jump at the first better paid opportunity that comes down the pike.

Where's our next Hawk, Rooney and Dave Wills who live and die with the team?

Instead, we end up with guys like Chris Rongey, who antagonized belittled and looked down judgmentally on passionate Sox fans like that call in show guy in the preseason who was arguably the only positive/uplifting highlight of 2023.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

So we've now underestimated Benetti, Semien (GG Winner 2021), Tatis, Jr. (GG Winner 2023)...am going to somewhat confidently predict Tim Anderson bumping off Andres Gimenez for 2024 at second base in the AL, or Nico Horner on the NL side...and with at least an accompanying 750 OPS.

Eventually broadcasting and MLB HoF enshrinement for Benetti...with Luis Robert having only a remote chance of going in as a Sox.  Abreu is the other quite remote possibility.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

LOL I know there is some joking/trollage in this post, but bringing Hawk back would be hysterical. 

Ha, That would be one way to force Stone out immediately.

Not sure why the Hawks forced Foley out. He’s likely the most popular local option in terms of bringing in someone people know and like for a few years.  Would bring good short term publicity.

Then being in a solid young long term team to replace Foley and Stone say for 2026, once the team is possibly better in a few years and the team can possibly sell itself.

I would toss Ozzie and Garfein now. I don’t see any positives beyond bringing shame and embarrassment anytime Ozzie goes off to overshadow the team and management, based on his petty jealousy and futile angling for a managerial job.

37 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Ha, That would be one way to force Stone out immediately.

Not sure why the Hawks forced Foley out. He’s likely the most popular local option in terms of bringing in someone people know and like for a few years.  Would bring good short term publicity.

Then being in a solid young long term team to replace Foley and Stone say for 2026, once the team is possibly better in a few years and the team can possibly sell itself.

I would toss Ozzie and Garfein now. I don’t see any positives beyond bringing shame and embarrassment anytime Ozzie goes off to overshadow the team and management, based on his petty jealousy and futile angling for a managerial job.

You're overlooking the fact that would require LaRussa signing off on Hawk returning...which is arguably one of the last things Tony and Mr. Revenues Brooks Boyer would ever want at this point.

Edited by caulfield12