Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, Springfield Soxfan said:

Agreed. This strategy is coming from TLR and JR negotiating school.  Work for the best deal and when you get it strike.  

Only if the Sox are surmising that recent negatives on Cease are real issues that can snowball out of control the more time passes. If not, you wait it out until you get what you want, or saddle Cease up until the trade deadline, and let him recoup his value 

his ERA more than double from 2.20 to 4.58. Cease’s velocity dipped by a mile per hour, his strikeout rate fell three percentage points, and he yielded far more hard contact than he did during that elite 2022 campaign. 

I'm a huge Norby fan! Love his approach and the way he makes strong contact to all parts of the field. I've read reports that the defense has improved especially his arm in the last year. Norby brings a lot versatility defensively in the IF/OF. If he can be your 3rd piece in the deal. Sign me up. I would do Krjstead, Ortiz, and Norby in a second. All 3 of those players are blocked at the Major League Level. I would keep on pushing for Mayo, but not sure Baltimore will give in. I would be happy with a future infield of Montgomery SS/3B, Ramos 3B/1B, Ortiz SS/2B, and Norby 2B/OF. Hopefully the new hitting coaches can work with Vaughn and get back to generating more launch angle to his swing to get his value up again and trade during the season. Hate having a 5-11 first baseman. With the 2024 Draft having such down year of talent with the up the middle players. This might be the year to focus on pitching early in the draft. 

Edited by PolishPrince34
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

If we are concerned about fit, I wonder what the pursuit of Norby would be saying about the "high floor" second base/SS prospect we just drafted. If it's just about gathering  available asets, cool.

I hope your not talking about Jacob Gonzalez. I'm still pissed off with that pick! I'm hoping Shirley had no say and that was Kenny Williams last horrible mistake he made with the organization. 

You can never have too many players that play up the middle. I'm fine with with getting multiple players that can bring athleticism/versatility in the Cease deal. 

Edited by PolishPrince34
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

That's kind of the flipside. LAD could say "you know we don't have to have Cease, we could easily sign X pitcher for just money and if we don't do a deal now we will turn our attention to that guy instead" 

So maybe some of this is pressure by parties who have a good offer on the table trying to convince us they will pull the deal and look elsewhere soon.

BAL could not do that and CIN also could not do that because they don't spend, but the LAD could make such a credible threat.

Plus Votto coming off the books...

1 minute ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

You know my belief about budgets. 

Not spending money on free agency is a choice, not a necessity. If they want me to believe otherwise, open the damn books and prove it. 

That's fine. Teams don't always want to spend on aging and/or (soon to be) declining players if they can trade unproven talent for proven, in their prime, controllable talent.

11 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I hope your not talking about Jacob Gonzalez. I'm still pissed off with that pick! I'm hoping Shirley had no say and that was Kenny Williams last horrible mistake he made with the organization. 

You can never have too many players that play up the middle. I'm fine with with getting multiple players that can bring athleticism/versatility in the Cease deal. 

Shirley seems to have been driving the high round picks the last few years. The only way I can reserve judgement on a very Kenny type pick. 

31 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

If we are concerned about fit, I wonder what the pursuit of Norby would be saying about the "high floor" second base/SS prospect we just drafted. If it's just about gathering  available asets, cool.

Well, I mostly would say it doesn't matter at all and more talent is more talent.

But I do still want to stress that Gonzalez extremely sucks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

All the sports blab radio down here in South Carolina (Braves country) is assuming that the Braves have Cease essentially done and the Sox are waiting for someone to outbid them. Judging by past offseasons, I think they are just assuming it based on Morosi's tweet. 

They could not get it done without using MLB guys.  They're a bad match for a Cease trade.

38 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

You know my belief about budgets. 

Not spending money on free agency is a choice, not a necessity. If they want me to believe otherwise, open the damn books and prove it. 

I've been saying the same for a long time. Payroll is irrelevant to me, beyond any salary caps or luxury tax thresholds. In 2024 the threshold is $237 MILLION. Plenty of room to sign Ohtani.

2 minutes ago, Fielder Jones said:

They read Robert Murray's answers to questions in the below and he mentions Baltimore for Cease. Also says the 48 hour thing was overblown

Yeah I really don't read into Tweets too much. Some people overanalyze and overreact to every single one like there is a deep meaning when its likely piggybacking off another report and/or clickbait.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic