Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Hypothetical Trade:

Sox get: Kjerstad, Mayo, and DL Hall 

O’s get: Cease and Santos 

From Jon Heyman’s article in the New York Post:

”Baltimore, stacked with promising kids, matches up nicely with the White Sox, which makes sense since the South Siders have the most valuable rotation piece to trade. The Orioles tried for Cease at the deadline, but there’s more time now to figure things out. 

The Orioles also seek a back-end reliever and have contacted Maryland product and ex-Oriole farmhand Josh Hader plus Craig Kimbrel, Aroldis Chapman and Jordan Hicks. Hader may be a bit pricey for the O’s, though”

Edited by Rey21

3 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

From Jon Heyman:

”Baltimore, stacked with promising kids, matches up nicely with the White Sox, which makes sense since the South Siders have the most valuable rotation piece to trade. The Orioles tried for Cease at the deadline, but there’s more time now to figure things out. 

The Orioles also seek a back-end reliever and have contacted Maryland product and ex-Oriole farmhand Josh Hader plus Craig Kimbrel, Aroldis Chapman and Jordan Hicks. Hader may be a bit pricey for the O’s, though”

Hypothetical Trade:

No one on this board or in the Sox FO would say no to that deal. I wonder if that's truly a "hypothetical" or something Heyman actually heard.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

No one on this board or in the Sox FO would say no to that deal. I wonder if that's truly a "hypothetical" or something Heyman actually heard.

I’m sorry I tried separating the two that was my hypothetical trade not what Heyman said haha 

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t view it as a Busch headliner, but rather I see Busch & Sheehan as co-headliners.  And along with them comes a very interesting RF prospect who if not for an injury last year could be as highly regarded as the others.  IMO, this deal is only possible because Busch is a 26 year old bat oriented prospect.

It still leaves us with 3 DH /1st basemen useless baserunners and terrible fielders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rey21 said:

Hypothetical Trade:

From Jon Heyman’s article in the New York Post:

I think we are going to have to say this daily - Santos is almost certainly untradeable.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Snapshot in time. I believe Getz was serious about  defense. In a rebuild, you acquire assets, and fine tune for fit later by converting those assets into other parts. 

I personally believe this but also think the Sox are too lazy for this approach

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

I personally believe this but also think the Sox are too lazy for this approach

I wish we wouldn't keep acting like this is the Hahn / Williams approach to team building.  Getz is a new GM and deserves a chance to show us his "approach."  So far, I like the change in coaching / staff building and his first trade was very encouraging.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I wish we wouldn't keep acting like this is the Hahn / Williams approach to team building.  Getz is a new GM and deserves a chance to show us his "approach."  So far, I like the change in coaching / staff building and his first trade was very encouraging.

What was encouraging about that trade?

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Two players and maybe a third who will be on the 24' squad and rid us of a player in Bummer who most of us just couldn't strand when he entered a game.  

Ironically, the players Getz has acquired so far (DeJong, Lopez) would make Bummer a better pitcher.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

You think Reinsdorf will all of the sudden become patient at his age?

29 minutes ago, Quin said:

Ironically, the players Getz has acquired so far (DeJong, Lopez) would make Bummer a better pitcher.

I did find it funny that we finally got an infield focused on defense after abandoning the sinker baller reliever profiles Hahn was obsessed with

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, T R U said:

What was encouraging about that trade?

Five players for a guy who most of us would have been happy to get one flyer and a subscription to Neflix for.

Granted, there's bounce backs and/or improvements desired for the guys received, but multiple holes were filled...and Bummer is gone.

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Provided Bummer could throw the ball over the plate.

I mean, his best pitch was getting batters to chase outside of the zone?

Do we think the Braves are stupid acquiring him?

Edit: Just checked fangraphs and he's had remarkably consist pitching types throughout his career, batters made even less contact in the strike zone and he through more first pitch strikes last year.

Throw in a drastically lower FIP than his ERA and you basically come to the conclusion: He had s%*# fielding behind him.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/aaron-bummer/16258/stats?position=P

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, his best pitch was getting batters to chase outside of the zone?

Do we think the Braves are stupid acquiring him?

Edit: Just checked fangraphs and he's had remarkably consist pitching types throughout his career, batters made even less contact in the strike zone and he through more first pitch strikes last year.

Throw in a drastically lower FIP than his ERA and you basically come to the conclusion: He had s%*# fielding behind him.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/aaron-bummer/16258/stats?position=P

Because he was ours, and we tend to remember the worst about every player, we may not appreciate how good he may have been.  He did throw some absolutely filthy innings, and he definitely relied on hitters expanding their zones.  He will probably pitch well in Atlanta, and it'll be a good trade for them.  But, as I said, we judge our players harshly.  Maybe every fanbase does, but we're really good at it.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic