Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

31 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Who made any comparison about why they won? I certainly didn't.

Pitching played a very large part in the success...but so did an offense that didn't need three home runs a game to win.

Say the word...balance...pitching, hitting, fielding AND some actually baseball smarts and knowledge of fundamentals.

That isn't today's game or players though. Now more than ever advanced metrics show that it's more efficient to score runs over the season by just swinging for the fences on every pitch. 

The downside is that this is on average, against the bad, mediocre and good pitching. Once teams get to the postseason and face good pitching it doesn't necessarily translate. 

Although with last year's rule changes it may go back some. 

Edited by ptatc

On 12/16/2023 at 4:19 PM, Balta1701 said:

I would definitely be surprised if Getz got Reinsdorf to agree to a plan that involves them not competing until 2026.

You know, I don't know. Reinsdorf would be foolish not to. Most new GMs are on basically, a 3 year plan of retooling/rebuilding, with relaxed expectations. You might think an inexperienced GM like Getz with no record of accomplishment ought to have the benefit of lower immediate expectations. The exceptions are the teams with good rosters that have underperformed. But the Sox are certainy not that exception.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

Watching the Royals and Tigers bury the Sox in spending (along with taking Benetti away) is pretty disheartening.  

Then KC at least is (eventually) getting a new stadium, when their previous one is still better than the existing Sox facility despite the appreciable age difference.

Once upon a time, with guys like Tanaka and even Wheeler, they'd at least go through the motions of being attached to nearly every big name out there, just like the SF Giants.

Now, there's not even any pretenses about being competitive in such a terrible/abysmal division.

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Watching the Royals and Tigers bury the Sox in spending (along with taking Benetti away) is pretty disheartening.  

Then KC at least is (eventually) getting a new stadium, when their previous one is still better than the existing Sox facility despite the appreciable age difference.

Once upon a time, with guys like Tanaka and even Wheeler, they'd at least go through the motions of being attached to nearly every big name out there, just like the SF Giants.

Now, there's not even any pretenses about being competitive in such a terrible/abysmal division.

Sad Chicago can't keep up with Kansas City on the diamond, or in terms of maintaining population.

Kansas City Increase in Population (1980-2021) 508,394 / 448,159 +13.4%

Chicago Decline In Population (1980-2021) 2,696,555 / 3,005,072 -10.3%

World Series Appearances

1980s

• None Chicago (1980 Population 3,005,072)
  • 1980 Pennant, 1985 Championship Kansas City (1980 Population 448,159)

1990s

• None Chicago (1990 Population 2,783,660)
  • None Kansas City (1990 Population 435,121)

2000s

• 2005 Championship Chicago (2000 Population 2,895,671)
  • None Kansas City (2000 Population (442,369)

2010s

• 2016 Championship Chicago (2010 Population 2,695,598)
  • 2014 Pennant, 2015 Championship Kansas City (2010 Population 459,787)

2020s

• None Chicago (2020 Population 2,741,730)
  • None Kansas City (2020 Population 507,932)

On 12/16/2023 at 11:40 PM, Tony said:

Where? I’ve been on this board before the 2005 season, and in all my time, I’ve seen next to no negative comments toward that team. 

Now, if discussing how that core group didn’t make the playoffs in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007 and it’s now evident it was simply a “right place, right time” kind of season, that is definitely discussed here, but I think that’s more factual evidence than negative.

2005 is why every single Sox fan on this site is still here. The hope we get to see another one of those seasons. It was an incredible ride. I will absolutely have those memories for the rest of my life. But in 2023, it’s far from blasphemous to say that team was a “one year wonder” more than some powerhouse the brain trust at 35th and Shields built. It was a very good team. The 2006 team was also very good. But as quick as they arrived, it was over. That’s not really a debate, just what happened 

Well this certainly isn't true.  Now, granted, I think I just remember Parkman and all his posts, but I am sure there are others. I know because I have replied to them in the past.  I did dig up this thread;  (some other gems in there too)

Again, maybe it's Parkman PTSD, but there have certainly been posts similar, although not as outright insane as the main one in that thread.

Either way, the 05 team was amazing.

Edited by soulfly

Comment on Cease from a MLBTR chat.  I think this dude is grossly overestimating what it would take for us to move Dylan, but fun to dream about this package.

Miguel
8:47
Cody Mayo and Sammy bassalo for Cease, both guys are blocked, keep cowser and kerjstad, seems like a win win

Mark P
8:49
Basallo is indeed blocked behind Rutschman, but unlike me ordering a sandwich, I suspect the O's will make room for Mayo.

Mayo/Basallo would get Chicago's attention in regards to Cease, though I'm not sure if it's quite the blow-away offer they'd want.

32 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

There is no way that the Orioles will trade Mayo and Basallo for Cease.  Like someone said, it is the most delusional time of the year.  🤪

So Mayo is a young Josh Jung and Basallo is a young Carlos Santana pretty much? Both blocked in Orioles system. I don’t see why that’s delusional for a cheap established #3 starter with #1 upside.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So Mayo is a young Josh Jung and Basallo is a young Carlos Santana pretty much? Both blocked in Orioles system. I don’t see why that’s delusional for a cheap established #3 starter with #1 upside.

Mayo is a third baseman, and Basallo is a catcher who may be moved to 1B.  I would think that the Orioles may trade one of them, not both.  They will likely trade Jordan Westburg before Mayo and Mountcastle before Basallo.  Both Westburg and Mountcastle have many years of control and established to a degree in the majors already.  

Let’s say the Orioles don’t want to give up Cowser or Kjerstad simply because they feel they will need them soon.  I think a fair ask would be Mayo, one of their major league ready infielders (Westberg, Ortiz, Norby), and Beavers.  Honestly, I’m not making a trade to the Orioles without one of Mayo, Kjerstad, or Coswer plus one of their infielders (preferably not Norby unless our scouts have more faith in the glove than I do).

I’m really not sure another team can do much better than that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

Mayo is a third baseman, and Basallo is a catcher who may be moved to 1B.  I would think that the Orioles may trade one of them, not both.  They will likely trade Jordan Westburg before Mayo and Mountcastle before Basallo.  Both Westburg and Mountcastle have many years of control and established to a degree in the majors already.  

Right, hence my comparison to Jung (right handed power hitting 3b) and Santana (power hitting switch hitting catcher that couldn’t stick at catcher long term).

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think expecting both of them is a very delusional ask.

I don’t think so. Glasnow landed a former top 100 mlb prospect that has shown he can succeed in mlb and still has many years of control as well as the Dodgers #13 prospect. I don’t see much surplus value in Glasnow’s contract that he just signed either. A Cease return should do much better than Pepiot/DeLuca and I would compare the value of Pepiot/DeLuca similar to Basallo + a low level minor leaguer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I don’t think so. Glasnow landed a former top 100 mlb prospect that has shown he can succeed in mlb and still has many years of control as well as the Dodgers #13 prospect. I don’t see much surplus value in Glasnow’s contract that he just signed either. A Cease return should do much better than Pepiot/DeLuca and I would compare the value of Pepiot/DeLuca similar to Basallo + a low level minor leaguer.

Basallo is pretty much a consensus top 30 to 40 prospect (maybe even higher at this point).  His value is enormous and it’s significantly higher than that of Pepiot’s IMO.  And I say that a fan of Pepiot.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think expecting both of them is a very delusional ask.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let’s say the Orioles don’t want to give up Cowser or Kjerstad simply because they feel they will need them soon.  I think a fair ask would be Mayo, one of their major league ready infielders (Westberg, Ortiz, Norby), and Beavers.  Honestly, I’m not making a trade to the Orioles without one of Mayo, Kjerstad, or Coswer plus one of their infielders (preferably not Norby unless our scouts have more faith in the glove than I do).

I’m really not sure another team can do much better than that.

I guess I see those offers as relatively comparable.

Kjerstad/Cowser, Westberg/Norby/Ortiz and Beavers

Mayo and Bassalo

24 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Glasnow got 5 year extension which means the Dodgers have 5 to 6 years of control.  Unless Cease agrees to an extension, this is not a good comparison. 

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They didn’t trade for those 5 years of control though. It’s separate from the 1 year/$25M they traded for.

I think that's sorta true, sorta not. I'm not sure how much compensation you'd assign to it, but clearly the fact that Glasnow was open to extensions was part of the reason he's a dodger.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic