Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

17 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Eloy was being explored as a trade by himself supposedly. He has value, although not extensive. He’s not a throw in for cash considerations, he would add value to a trade if he were included. 

I think he’s a guy to “throw in” to get 1 more good prospect out of a team if they need an OF’er instead of a lotto ticket prospect. Like if a team offered prospects 2, 6, 10 and 25 for Cease throw in Eloy and get 2, 6, 10 and 12

I don’t really see Eloy getting any kind of significant return in a stand alone trade

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No, it’s completely unreasonable and your consistent shots at Elias because he doesn’t want to get ass raped by your team is really old and pretty childish. 

And btw, just to clarify how I know it’s unreasonable..if anyone was offering a package like that or anything close to it, the deal would be done. In fact, we are hearing from a local Chicago writer that teams aren’t trading for Cease right now because the ask is too high.  So yea, it’s completely unreasonable and the evidence that is true is overwhelmingly obvious.

I like grapes.

19 minutes ago, hi8is said:

After not seeing this thread for a couple hours I come back to over a hundred replies… thought something was cooking but no… it was just the sports guy peddling crumbs of wisdom.

Joy.

Expected a Buddy Biancalana or Alcides Escobar acquisition announcement as we slowly transform ourselves into the Omaha Royals...

Edited by caulfield12

I like Mayo cuz it seems like good Vaughn insurance.  What’s wrong with Mayo and Cowser for Cease/Santos?  I see nothing unreasonable about that ask.  

250 way above average, cost-awesome IP sure seems like a useful thing for a team with World Series aspirations but thin on pitching.  Ooo how terrible to ask them to trade from surplus 3B and a first flop OF.  

Damn right we should get back two young guys with high ceilings but yet unproven at MLB.  What on earth else should we be targeting?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I like Mayo cuz it seems like good Vaughn insurance.  What’s wrong with Mayo and Cowser for Cease/Santos?  I see nothing unreasonable about that ask.  

250 way above average, cost-awesome IP sure seems like a useful thing for a team with World Series aspirations but thin on pitching.  Ooo how terrible to ask them to trade from surplus 3B and a first flop OF.  

Damn right we should get back two young guys with high ceilings but yet unproven at MLB.  What on earth else should we be targeting?

But Chris Getz was asking for too much in July… duh.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mayo is going no where.  Mayo and Cowser in the same deal is a step above a pipe dream.  You aren’t getting Mayo. 

Mayo was an absolute steal when we drafted him and he has done morning but tear up the minors at really young ages.

He also likely can stay at third defensively but the O’s have the left side pretty covered.

I don't give a s%*# what this guy says. If Mayo isn't available then why are we even entertaining Cease to BAL?

I want 1 guy they don't want to trade for this deal to happen.

I reiterate, this franchise is fucked anyhow, so may as well hold out for the moon and take the risk if no one pays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, FT35 said:

Non Sox fans don’t understand how important it is for us to fleece someone in a Cease trade.  For teams like us who don’t develop talent, this is our only path to any sort of success.  And we will need to set the market high because we will want top dollar for all these guys we’re about to get for Cease when we burn it all to the ground in a few seasons.  

Exactly. I'd be a terrible GM insisting on Holliday but I'll let it slide for now and insist on  Mayo. f*** the O's. Pay up if you want the dude. If not f*** off.

6 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Exactly.  People overthinking it trying to decide “value” like some kind of Keith Law type.   We’re trading the proven durable cy young type guy on a ridiculous contract.  

it’s not ridiculous to want 2 guys in return.  2 bad ass unproven young guys.  Sounds like Mayo and Cowser to me.  

Mayo and Cowser. I'm down with this. f*** the shitty packages being badied about it. Sox need a needle mover and MAYBe they will be better 1 or 2 years sooner. Getz if he is smart knows he is absolutely fucked for awhile and trading Cease for whatever the f*** isn't going to change the trajectory of this franchise.

O's want a world series. Os need another pitcher. Someone who can put up a Cy young season. Pay the f*** up then. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

And Kjerstad has to hit without any other dynamic tools and limited positional flexibility...

Exactly. I don't understand all the Sox fans willingness to accept high risk high reward (probably not needle movers) for a potential Cy Young candidate for 2 fucking years. It makes zero sense. All respect to the Os guys here but coming over and downplaying Cease because he was just "ok" on the team with the worst culture many Sox fans have ever seen in their life is asinine. #2 Cy Young doesn't happen by accident, it takes a full ass year of amazing pitching. He is going to be FINE on a team with actual structure and culture. He is more than capable and... if it ain't Holliday headlining this deal it better be fucking Mayo. 

Edited by Southwest Sider
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

LMAO.

You may be confusing New Year's with April Fools Day. 

Righty versus lefty may not matter to Sports Guy but it damn sure matters to MLB GM’s.  I realize Andrew Vaughn is heading toward mediocre/bust territory but I remember everyone saying he was the best pure hitter in the draft but knocking him for unfortunately being a right-handed hitter.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Righty versus lefty may not matter to Sports Guy but it damn sure matters to MLB GM’s.  I realize Andrew Vaughn is heading toward mediocre/bust territory but I remember everyone saying he was the best pure hitter in the draft but knocking him for unfortunately being a right-handed hitter.

And as I mentioned, it makes a giant difference in their dumbass park now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Yea. I like our posters for the most part, but some of them are being petulant meatballs. You should see them in gamethreads. 🙃

It went pretty well a lot longer than I thought it would.

There are people on this board who tried to tell our fans that Cease's 2023 was going to be a sticking point in negotiations and they better prepare themselves for the long haul and not to get all caught up in the whole we're getting a haul stuff or you're going to be disappointed when you set your expectations too high.

If these O's fan read through the whole thread they will probably see the responses were not so polite because no one wants to hear it. The Frobby guy knew when to bow out .

Just like Roberts 2023 made him so good now that he's untradable. Forget about his  injury history he's going to be even better now. Forget about Cease 2023, his last 3 years combined are top 10 SP pitcher in baseball numbers by WAR we' re  getting a haul !!

Conversely the Os guys are clutching their prospects like their GM . They are all great and going to be great MLB players. (Paraphrasing . Don't take it literally). I'm not wishing them ill will  but after listening to them for so long it made me almost wish that they could truly appreciate how often those high hopes come crashing mercilessly to earth by experiencing it up close and personal. Santander's production will have to be replaced very soon. Mullins and Hays after that. They've been lucky so far that Rutchman and Henderson have become good so fast. Cowser, Mayo, Kjerstad, Basallo whoever the top 5 untouchable guys are may not fare as well.

Things might have worked out a little better had the Sox held onto Macus Semien or Fernando Tatis Jr. But the Padres GM knew middle  of the diamond guys at SS and CF were better bets to ask for way before it ever dawned on Hahn. Who cared anyway, he hadnt even played stateside yet and to this day the The Sox have never developed a player from the DR when DR players have been dominating baseball since Reinsdorf became owner. Hey Jerry let's trade away more International money we don't need it !!

2021 for the Sox was a mirage built upon Rodon's 1 year of success. Their 2nd half record was . 500 that year and they beat the crap out of their own weak division.  Rodon wore down because the Sox abused his arm in the 1st half even though he had barely pitched the 2 previous seasons. It's like the Sox had never heard of limiting innings. Hahn's arrogance  about multiple championships and talk to me after the parade BS like he had already accomplished so much in his muddied  GM career was nauseating . Eloy  almost tore his arm off . Robert almost tore his leg off at the hip. The TLR debacle didn't end well. 2021 ended up being the last of the 2 whole years of playoffs and JR telling us after 2022 hey we finished .500. That's not that bad 😂. Then the wheels not only fell off but were completely disintegrated in 2023.

COVID and the strike right in the middle of our contention window sure didn't help anything. Not only were our guys getting injured but they were getting COVID too. The Sox were hiring and firing medical personnel when they should've fired Hahn and Williams and let someone else rebuild the team they destroyed but that like so many other mistakes was led by good old Jerry Reinsdorf.

Why can't we have nice things became the unofficial Sox fans motto ! Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic was the runner-up.

I have a suspicion that we'll be hearing that for a bit longer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It went pretty well a lot longer than I thought it would.

There are people on this board who tried to tell our fans that Cease's 2023 was going to be a sticking point in negotiations and they better prepare themselves for the long haul and not to get all caught up in the whole we're getting a haul stuff or you're going to be disappointed when you set your expectations too high.

If these O's fan read through the whole thread they will probably see the responses were not so polite because no one wants to hear it. The Frobby guy knew when to bow out .

Just like Roberts 2023 made him so good now that he's untradable. Forget about his  injury history he's going to be even better now. Forget about Cease 2023, his last 3 years combined are top 10 SP pitcher in baseball numbers by WAR we' re  getting a haul !!

Conversely the Os guys are clutching their prospects like their GM . They are all great and going to be great MLB players. (Paraphrasing . Don't take it literally). I'm not wishing them ill will  but after listening to them for so long it made me almost wish that they could truly appreciate how often those high hopes come crashing mercilessly to earth by experiencing it up close and personal. Santander's production will have to be replaced very soon. Mullins and Hays after that. They've been lucky so far that Rutchman and Henderson have become good so fast. Cowser, Mayo, Kjerstad, Basallo whoever the top 5 untouchable guys are may not fare as well.

Things might have worked out a little better had the Sox held onto Macus Semien or Fernando Tatis Jr. But the Padres GM knew middle  of the diamond guys at SS and CF were better bets to ask for way before it ever dawned on Hahn. Who cared anyway, he hadnt even played stateside yet and to this day the The Sox have never developed a player from the DR when DR players have been dominating baseball since Reinsdorf became owner. Hey Jerry let's trade away more International money we don't need it !!

2021 for the Sox was a mirage built upon Rodon's 1 year of success. Their 2nd half record was . 500 that year and they beat the crap out of their own weak division.  Rodon wore down because the Sox abused his arm in the 1st half even though he had barely pitched the 2 previous seasons. It's like the Sox had never heard of limiting innings. Hahn's arrogance  about multiple championships and talk to me after the parade BS like he had already accomplished so much in his muddied  GM career was nauseating . Eloy  almost tore his arm off . Robert almost tore his leg off at the hip. The TLR debacle didn't end well. 2021 ended up being the last of the 2 whole years of playoffs and JR telling us after 2022 hey we finished .500. That's not that bad 😂. Then the wheels not only fell off but were completely disintegrated in 2023.

COVID and the strike right in the middle of our contention window sure didn't help anything. Not only were our guys getting injured but they were getting COVID too. The Sox were hiring and firing medical personnel when they should've fired Hahn and Williams and let someone else rebuild the team they destroyed but that like so many other mistakes was led by good old Jerry Reinsdorf.

Why can't we have nice things became the unofficial Sox fans motto ! Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic was the runner-up.

I have a suspicion that we'll be hearing that for a bit longer.

It all goes back to one man.  He is to blame for everything.  The GM’s he hires, managers he chooses for his GM’s, the stupid allocation of money (i.e., ticket sales vs. data analytics), the free agent spending strategy (quantity over quality), etc., etc.  The guy probably has zero clue what a bad owner he is cuz he lucked into Jordan and won a WS in 2005 after an offseason of moves that all magically hit.  He got extremely lucky once so he thinks he can do it again.  Nothing changes until he is “gone” unfortunately.  How many owners have boasted that a 2nd place is great cuz the fans keep coming back due to hope that the team improves, rather than saying anything less than the playoffs ever year is a disappointment?

“If I were a fan, I’d be pissed. I’d be very angry. But at the same time, this is the first really, really bad year. We won the division in ’21, we were .500 last year. That’s nobody’s goal to be .500, but that’s still average.

What a pathetic loser of an owner to allow such a stupid quote to escape from his mouth.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It will be nice when Getz finally acquires a guy you can say should be a good player instead of just hoping. So far, the White Sox have to do a lot of fixing for what has been acquired to be good. It hasn’t been a strength.

If you thought we would be competing this coming season - I’m shocked.

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

If you thought we would be competing this coming season - I’m shocked.

I didn’t think competing although the owner indicated it was in the cards. Tanking is different now. The draft position is going to be where teams that win 75-77 games wind up,  at best. So if you are signing players for 1 year, you may as well try to be at least mediocre. I really don’t see the purpose in acquiring all bad players. There is nothing to be gained. It’s ironic but the White Sox are wasting a year. Again.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Pretty sure we’re all aware that they’ll likely have the 10th pick in the 2025 draft and we’re also all aware that Jerry could care fucking less about this team.

So why blast me for not understanding or liking the strategy?

They trade Cease, while it's a tank move, at least what you get back you can expect to be good. There is not 1 playet Getz has signed or traded for yet, you can EXPECT  to be good Right now it looks like they are trying to be historically bad.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So why blast me for not understanding or liking the strategy?

They trade Cease, while it's a tank move, at least what you get back you can expect to be good. There is not 1 playet Getz has signed or traded for yet, you can EXPECT  to be good Right now it looks like they are trying to be historically bad.

If nothing else this proves why the “anti tanking” rules are stupid. Who would they deter if not the 2024 white Sox? 

And yet teams that aren’t the dodgers and Yankees will always need some cycles to retrench and focus on talent farther away.

It was never about a specific draft pick.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic