Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rosenthal’s latest podcast mentions Cease still likely to be moved and that many teams are still need of a TOR starter including BAL, NYY, BOS, & SFG specifically being mentioned.

And, aren't the White Sox still hanging onto an announcement? Like Maldonado? That says to me they're close on something, and will do the moves together to offset the 40-man spots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

What we’d hope for in an owner is simply one that doesn't flush the money down the toilet by self-imposing idyiosyncratic limitations, like “not believing in investing in the international market,” or “not making long term offers to pitchers,” or “tying up player rewards in earned incentives,” or “valuing the opinions of those outside the organization,” etc.

I think we just got saddled with an owner who was going to show everybody how it's done, didn't do that, got pouty, broke things, lucked into a championship, and is now insufferably obstinate in his old age. 

While I may be very cynical about the economics around the game, and in our economy, in general, as a Sox fan, all I have to root for is for Getz to sneak a couple of hires past the old man, and maybe they'll work. 

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

11 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

And, aren't the White Sox still hanging onto an announcement? Like Maldonado? That says to me they're close on something, and will do the moves together to offset the 40-man spots. 

Curious what makes you think that. I'd be surprised if they were close on a Cease trade with Snell and Montgomery still on the market. What other move(s) would necessitate holding off announcing Maldonado or clearing 40 man space?

17 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

It was just the holidays. He probably just hasn’t made it back to do a physical yet.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rosenthal’s latest podcast mentions Cease still likely to be moved and that many teams are still need of a TOR starter including BAL, NYY, BOS, & SFG specifically being mentioned.  He then calls out the Orioles as really needing to add an impactful starter (and to also replace Gibson’s innings) and said that they should be in on Cease but could also potentially look at the Mariners or Marlins’ controllable starters as potential alternatives.  He also spend some time talking about the Red Sox needing a legit TOR arm but might not having the money for Snell or Montgomery.

To me, we really need the Angels to somehow snag Snell.  I think that ensures a large amount of teams in need of impactful pitching but few options remaining in free agency outside of Montgomery, who I anticipate many clubs will not want to sign at anywhere near the dollars he is going to get.

Dylan Cease is a swingman at best in Baltimore. Worth their #30 prospect...maybe.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

What other move(s) would necessitate holding off announcing Maldonado or clearing 40 man space?

Maybe some "Colas for rookie-level catcher" deal, or Eloy, or Santos? Matt Foster, Jimmy Lambert, or Tanner Banks for a pair of red boots? 

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

Dylan Cease is a swingman at best in Baltimore. Worth their #30 prospect...maybe.

Understand that a #30 prospect in the elite Orioles' system is like any other organization's #1. Maybe even better. They're the only fanbase that truly understands the value of players and prospects. 

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Maybe some "Colas for rookie-level catcher" deal, or Eloy, or Santos? Matt Foster, Jimmy Lambert, or Tanner Banks for a pair of red boots? 

I'd say it has more to do with the holidays than anything being close.

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Understand that a #30 prospect in the elite Orioles' system is like any other organization's #1. Maybe even better. They're the only fanbase that truly understands the value of players and prospects. 

Frankly, I'm not sure why BAL would even be interested in Cease.

Bro....we got Kyle Bradish, bro. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It was just the holidays. He probably just hasn’t made it back to do a physical yet.

They're figuring out if the second bench coach counts as a roster spot.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

The White Sox are such a primitive organization that if one of their highly rated prospects hit the Sox' system, they'd achieve instant singularity, becoming one with time and space. Their career would have already happened, and they'd be enshrined in the HOF back in the 1930s. On the Orioles, they'd just play baseball. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Curious what makes you think that. I'd be surprised if they were close on a Cease trade with Snell and Montgomery still on the market. What other move(s) would necessitate holding off announcing Maldonado or clearing 40 man space?

Not sure about the timing thing with Maldonado, but I don't imagine too many teams that are looking to deal for a cost controlled SP like Cease are also looking to sign one of the top UFA arms available. 

12 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I mean, Bradish IS good. But it's incredibly foolish of them to not get a TOR arm. Both can be true.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Not sure about the timing thing with Maldonado, but I don't imagine too many teams that are looking to deal for a cost controlled SP like Cease are also looking to sign one of the top UFA arms available. 

Cease's market won't heat up until the FA sign. It's all a leverage play until then. Baltimore isn't signing either FA, but they won't get serious with their offers until they have to, once other teams start making serious inquiries as well. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I don’t think anyone expects anyone to “spend like crazy” in terms of total outlay. JR has spent enough money, in aggregate. What we’d hope for in an owner is simply one that doesn't flush the money down the toilet by self-imposing idyiosyncratic limitations, like “not believing in investing in the international market,” or “not making long term offers to pitchers,” or “tying up player rewards in earned incentives,” or “valuing the opinions of those outside the organization,” etc.

The best anyone could hope for is an average outcome, but the roll of the dice would unquestionably be valuable. 

I hope you're right. I just see too many posts stating that once cheap JR is gone, new new owner will come in to correct the spending. 

I'm skeptical about that but the other improvements are probably realistic. Except the not giving the long term contracts to pitchers. With injuries to pitchers I can understand that one. 

59 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I think we just got saddled with an owner who was going to show everybody how it's done, didn't do that, got pouty, broke things, lucked into a championship, and is now insufferably obstinate in his old age. 

While I may be very cynical about the economics around the game, and in our economy, in general, as a Sox fan, all I have to root for is for Getz to sneak a couple of hires past the old man, and maybe they'll work. 

Excellent summery. This organization almost from day one had an attitude of, "We're smarter than you..." "How dare you question us?" "WE know what we're doing..."

History shows their expertise (LOL) hasn't worked out very well has it?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Cease's market won't heat up until the FA sign. It's all a leverage play until then. Baltimore isn't signing either FA, but they won't get serious with their offers until they have to, once other teams start making serious inquiries as well. 

If they're smart they would get serious now to avoid a bidding war, however they do likely have the most ammo so I could see it going either way. 

18 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

How serious is the myocarditis issue with Heston Kjerstad? Something tells me the O’s will likely attempt to center a package around him in any offer for Cease. 

Typically it lasts 6 weeks. Didn't even realize he had an issue with it. Myocarditis can be caused by any viral infection, but it normally isn't anything super serious and usually people go on to be just fine afterwards. Rare cases can cause permanent damage.

23 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I mean, Bradish IS good. But it's incredibly foolish of them to not get a TOR arm. Both can be true.

Which is why the O’s are talking to the Sox and other teams.  Obviously though, whether it’s incredibly foolish not to get a TOR arm depends on what it costs.  And none of us know that right now.  

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Typically it lasts 6 weeks. Didn't even realize he had an issue with it. Myocarditis can be caused by any viral infection, but it normally isn't anything super serious and usually people go on to be just fine afterwards. Rare cases can cause permanent damage.

Also extremely popular is Covid vaccinated males. You left that one out.

• Hawk 1
  • TLR 2

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic