Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I never said it was a problem for you guys to want high upside guys.  I said that weeks ago. I said I didn’t feel you guys will contend for a while and that you should want high upside, further away guys.

Im not blaming you for that and I never have.

But the flip side to that is that if those guys fail, you end up with nothing. You guys have said time and time again how you need this trade to work out for you. Taking a bunch of high ceiling 20 year olds is great but your bust potential is high.

I’m not sure we need this one to work out any more than we needed all the others to work. 

• Like 1

I’m starting to want to hold Cease now. I’m reaching the threshold of hopelessness where I don’t think there’s any path to contention, ever, and so it’s becoming more valuable just to have a fun pitcher to watch once a week.

It’s like when you decide you’re just gonna “drive your car into the ground” instead of trade it in while it still has value. I’m resigning myself to having a problematic vehicle for the foreseeable future but at least I won’t have to make payments on it. 

• Like 4
  • TLR 1

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Actually back then the coffee was laced with amphetamines. We had 2 pots of coffee in the clubhouse labeled leaded and unleaded. To the lay person it was caffeinated and decaf. It was really amphetamines or no amphetamines. 

Greenies.  The MLB started testing for amphetamines in 2006, which supposedly brought an end to this.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Greenies.  The MLB started testing for amphetamines in 2006, which supposedly brought an end to this.

Correct. This was a comment on the Ricky Henderson days when I was there. 

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

For the record, I didn't say Povich. I suggested McDermott. Westburg/Beavers/McDermott and Horvath/Wagner is a pretty good deal imo. 

I think Horvath has significantly more value than Wagner.  Some outlets have Horvath as top 10 prospect in this system.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Horvath has significantly more value than Wagner.  Some outlets have Horvath as top 10 prospect in this system.

I think I would do Westburg, Beavers, McDermott & Horvath for Cease. I am not thrilled with a 25 year old 2B as the big piece here but its a solid overall package IMO.

Would love to see their idea/s of which two year rentals are actually worth the pearls they're clutching on to...

We've posted 100+ times the fWAR values of Cease over the past three years combined, where's he is a Top 8 pitcher in the majors as well as one of the most durable.

Strange how pitchers are worth so much in FA but not under shorter term deals since everyone can pick out obvious flaws/health concerns on every single option out there like Snell and Montgomery.

(Yet the Dodgers approached their offseason from equal amounts marketing and on the mound performance POV.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, T R U said:

I think I would do Westburg, Beavers, McDermott & Horvath for Cease. I am not thrilled with a 25 year old 2B as the big piece here but its a solid overall package IMO.

There's zero point in settling out of desperation.

Hahn rushed that trade with the Yankees for Frazier Kuehnle etc. and none of those prospects came close to panning out.  But there was a high draft pick involved so that partially justified it.

Of course it was equally a salary dump for JR...Cease most assuredly is not, unless paired with Moncada or Jimenez.

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think most would.  I was under the impression Jimmy thought only the first 3.

Meh, that's not enough for me and I would hope Getz feels the same. If they aren't budging on their top 50 guys the package has to be 4 players.

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

I would 100% do that trade.  If it’s Wagner as the 4th piece, it comes down to what your scouts think of the three main prospects and whether the upside of waiting is more than downside of underperformance or injury.  I just don’t see the Orioles giving up Westburg plus three other guys cracking top 10 lists of the best system in baseball.

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

There's zero point in settling out of desperation.

Hahn rushed that trade with the Yankees for Frazier Kuehnle etc. and none of those prospects came close to panning out.  But there was a high draft pick involved so that partially justified it.

Of course it was equally a salary dump for JR...Cease most assuredly is not, unless paired with Moncada or Jimenez.

That was a dump trade, this isnt even close to similair in player talent/value

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Would love to see their idea/s of which two year rentals are actually worth the pearls they're clutching on to...

When these dudes mention that the O's could just pivot to Jesus Luzardo, or Framber Valdez, do they not understand that they would be paying even more than what Getz is probably asking for Cease? 

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

When these dudes mention that the O's could just pivot to Jesus Luzardo, or Framber Valdez, do they not understand that they would be paying even more than what Getz is probably asking for Cease? 

If they could, wouldn't they have by now? It is mid January after all. Seems other teams don't want the O's mid prospects either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

We're sitting on cowser as the current (rumored) main piece and you want to downgrade to westburg? no shot. I see the O's moving forward with Kjer as their LF/RF and eventually cashing out on cowser.

Getz still wants Mayo tho...

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would 100% do that trade.  If it’s Wagner as the 4th piece, it comes down to what your scouts think of the three main prospects and whether the upside of waiting is more than downside of underperformance or injury.  I just don’t see the Orioles giving up Westburg plus three other guys cracking top 10 lists of the best system in baseball.

If the Orioles can't trade Westburg and 3 prospects who are in their 8-15 range then they just aren't serious about it. That's not unreasonable at all.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

People get that.

Do you get that people view those guys are better options, therefore they would happily trade more to get them? (I actually don’t agree with that thought but many do)

Edited by Sports Guy

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic