Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I love this deal for Seattle.  They got a middle of the order power bat they desperately needed for some spare parts and a highly flawed prospect.

They already had Suarez and Teoscar and let them go.

Why would the Twins want to keep paying Polanco when they already have Julien, Brooks Lee, Lewis and Correa from second to third?

They basically get DeSclafini free and healthier than any season since 2021 and a Top 70-80 prospect thrown into the bargain, plus another future Joe Ryan for all we know if everything goes well on the scouting/eval side.

And Polanco's showing a lot of wear and tear and exhibiting increasing injury issues over the last season or two.

Worth only 3.3 combined fWAR the last two seasons...negative defensive values even at second for three consecutive years.

Usually thirty is the beginning of the steady decline these days...it has already started with him.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I love this deal for Seattle.  They got a middle of the order power bat they desperately needed for some spare parts and a highly flawed prospect.

I guess I’m just not that familiar with Polanco despite him playing for Minnesota, because I hate it for my Mariners. Feels like a very KW-esque tunnel vision overpay to me. Hopefully the bat wins me over quickly because I see another gigantic hole in a bullpen that already needed addressing.  

Interesting deal. Polanco is a pretty good player when he is healthy and still has 2 years of control.  Gonzalez is a good prospect, but all bat, no glove, limited athlete that is still a ways from the bigs.  Obviously risk.  The rest of the deal is pretty meh to me.  A 32 year old reliever with one good season, a vet 5th starter (albeit paid down to the league min), and $1 scratch off prospect.

The Twins have a lot of infield depth.  They needed to find everyday at bats for Julien against RHP, and this does that.  Assume you'll see a Julien/Farmer platoon.  Major downgrade to the Twins defense, though.  Julien is a true butcher.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I guess I’m just not that familiar with Polanco despite him playing for Minnesota, because I hate it for my Mariners. Feels like a very KW-esque tunnel vision overpay to me. Hopefully the bat wins me over quickly because I see another gigantic hole in a bullpen that already needed addressing.  

2019 and 21 were clearly his peak.

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Hurt a lot the past 2 seasons. He's fine.  Not a guy I'd want to trade a legit young prospect (albeit bat first) who put up .837 OPS in A/A+ as a 19 year old last year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Did you know who Justin Topa was before last season? These relievers pop up out of no where and then they're gone just as quickly.  They'll replace him with someone else no one has ever heard of. 

• Like 1

Just now, baseball_gal_aly said:

Just like the Machado thread, 300 pages for something that isn't happening and never was going to happen. 

To be fair, it would probably be close to, if not more than, 100 pages less if it wasn't for the O's fans who flocked here.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

To be fair, it would probably be close to, if not more than, 100 pages less if it wasn't for the O's fans who flocked here.

And there’s really nothing else to talk about.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Just like the Machado thread, 300 pages for something that isn't happening and never was going to happen. 

You’re saying that Cease won’t end up being traded at all, and that a trade was never going to happen from the get go?

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Did you know who Justin Topa was before last season? These relievers pop up out of no where and then they're gone just as quickly.  They'll replace him with someone else no one has ever heard of. 

Nope. That is a valid point. This is just the icing on the s%*# offseason though, so its hard to feel good or get excited by any of the moves so far.

3 hours ago, Snopek said:

You’re saying that Cease won’t end up being traded at all, and that a trade was never going to happen from the get go?

This offseason yes. 

The gap between how the Sox value him and how other teams would was obvious. It can't be bridged without Cease pitching 1/2 the season for the Sox in 2024 and showing who he is. 

I think he's going to get traded at the deadline unless he is hurt or sucks. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

5 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Lol. Barring a significant injury, Cease is definitely getting traded before his team control expires in….20 months. Add this to the long list of asinine Cease takes. 

• Like 2

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic