Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

2026 will be a much better year for Cease hitting the market than 2024.

There is a much weaker pool of SP Free Agents available in two years than what free agents and trading teams are facing this off-season. 

The Mets and likely Padres will join the Dodgers, Rangers, Yankees, Phillies, Toronto and Houston (Verlander will be 43) as active participants at the high end of the SP market.

New Orioles and Nationals ownership will be in place and might significantly bump payroll to make a splash.

Hell, even the big revenue teams with alligator arms when it comes to FA and spending like the Giants, Cardinals, Cubs and Red Sox may even put a decent bid out there.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

2026 will be a much better year for Cease hitting the market than 2024.

There is a much weaker pool of SP Free Agents available in two years than what free agents and trading teams are facing this off-season. 

The Mets and likely Padres will join the Dodgers, Rangers, Yankees, Phillies, Toronto and Houston (Verlander will be 43) as active participants at the high end of the SP market.

New Orioles and Nationals ownership will be in place and might significantly bump payroll to make a splash.

Hell, even the big revenue teams with alligator arms when it comes to FA and spending like the Giants, Cardinals, Cubs and Red Sox may even put a decent bid out there.

Padres more likely to keep dumping with 6 $100+ million deals still on the books...depends on replacement for Seidler.

Tatis would be only player in 20s then.

6 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Or maybe the fact there is ZERO chance the Sox would even sniff the asking price. Unless someone knows Cease is just dying to sign a 4/$50M year deal loaded with the Jerry Incentives Clause. It aint happening, the Sox don't hand out long term deals to good starting pitching.

This is probably true but the Sox do have a history of signing their own pitchers the first time they hit FA in Danks and Buerhle. 

In general it really isn't good practice to give long term deals to pitchers. Long term being 5+ years. 

17 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is probably true but the Sox do have a history of signing their own pitchers the first time they hit FA in Danks and Buerhle. 

In general it really isn't good practice to give long term deals to pitchers. Long term being 5+ years. 

Or trying to get advantageous deals done early with the likes of Sale and Q.

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

Still different situation though. Buehrle and Danks weren’t Boras clients. Boras simply doesn’t operate in that manner (except for extreme cases). 

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Still different situation though. Buehrle and Danks weren’t Boras clients. Boras simply doesn’t operate in that manner (except for extreme cases). 

Yep, Boras doesn’t give hometown discounts, like Buehrle and Danks were willing to do.

John Danks and his younger brother Jordan ditched Boras before John signed his extension with the Sox.  It’s likely the reason the extension got done.  Danks wanted to extend with the Sox and Boras more than likely wanted to take him to free agency.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2008/06/10/boras-out-of-picture-for-danks-brothers/

Edited by WhiteSox2023

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'd probably do this deal from the Yankees: Dylan Cease for Roderick Arias, Chase Hampton, Brock Selvidge and Jorbit Vivas. 

Take out Selvidge and replace with Lalane. 

I'd still be pissed about the lack of Jones.

I'm not convinced NYY wont move him, esp if they strike out on Montgomery and Snell.

29 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'd probably do this deal from the Yankees: Dylan Cease for Roderick Arias, Chase Hampton, Brock Selvidge and Jorbit Vivas. 

Hampton and Arias would be great gets. Been saying that for weeks now. Arias has fantastic upside. Might be untouchable this season if he stays healthy and performs.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'd take that deal, from a Sox perspective.

38 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Hampton and Arias would be great gets. Been saying that for weeks now. Arias has fantastic upside. Might be untouchable this season if he stays healthy and performs.

Exactly. I don’t think Arias will be available at the deadline 

Would be nice if Boras would hurry the f*** up with his free agents, because I still think there is going to be someone desperate for Cease when it’s all said & done and that could very well be the Yankees.  But it’s going to suck for Getz if Boras drags this s%*# out deep into Spring Training like he probably will.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Would be nice if Boras would hurry the f*** up with his free agents, because I still think there is going to be someone desperate for Cease when it’s all said & done and that could very well be the Yankees.  But it’s going to suck for Getz if Boras drags this s%*# out deep into Spring Training like he probably will.

I don’t see a resolution until March on the Boras guys 

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t see a resolution until March on the Boras guys 

That’s my concern unfortunately.  Obviously a deal could come together quickly since we’re not looking for any “win now” pieces, but less time limits a little bit of the gamesmanship and requires two very serious parties.

For me, if the Yankees won’t do Jones and we have to “settle” for Arias (and I fully get that Rodrick is a very special talent), then I want Lalane as the #3 piece in the deal.  Arias, Hampton, Lalane, and a semi-decent 4th piece (and ideally someone not too far out) could work for me.  Call me crazy, but I’d be willing to take a flyer on Ben Rice as that final piece and hope he can be our future DH after an Eloy trade come July.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For me, if the Yankees won’t do Jones and we have to “settle” for Arias (and I fully get that Rodrick is a very special talent), then I want Lalane as the #3 piece in the deal.  Arias, Hampton, Lalane, and a semi-decent 4th piece (and ideally someone not too far out) could work for me.  Call me crazy, but I’d be willing to take a flyer on Ben Rice as that final piece and hope he can be our future DH after an Eloy trade come July.

Lalane as 3rd piece, Vivas 4th piece. 

So then 2 pieces can make an immediate impact....Hampton and Vivas and 2 for the future (Arias, Lalane).

I still really want a true near MLB LHS like Jones, but IMO we would still take that deal.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

54 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Lalane as 3rd piece, Vivas 4th piece. 

So then 2 pieces can make an immediate impact....Hampton and Vivas and 2 for the future (Arias, Lalane).

I still really want a true near MLB LHS like Jones, but IMO we would still take that deal.

Vivas is tough for a couple reasons.  First, I think he’s got more near-term utility for the Yankees than other prospects in the teens for them (and may be simply too good to be a 4th piece).  I also question the fit now for us with very light power in the corner OFs.  Obviously it’s still very early to worry too much about lineup construction, but I don’t like to the idea of having three spots dedicated to guys with below average power for their positions.  I think Serna would be a more realistic get at the bottom end of a deal with solid power upside (but not LH).

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic