DeJong to Sox

hogan873

11 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

To think…just a couple years ago we went all in for Grandal right before thanksgiving. This year we are going all in with Paul DeJong right before thanksgiving….man how things have gone south quickly for this organization 

And to think Yasmani's last 2 years mirror Dejong's year last year.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

To think…just a couple years ago we went all in for Grandal right before thanksgiving. This year we are going all in with Paul DeJong right before thanksgiving….man how things have gone south quickly for this organization 

I don’t think anyone is “all in” at the moment.  Mickey mouse and daffy duck leading the pitching staff after Cease is gone won’t lead to much.

2 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Although the placeholders will most certainly stink, making the prospects earn the job over just handing it to them out of negligence/necessity is a refreshing change of pace. 

I mean, I guess. I see a team perennially crying poor that traded a reliever, which it needed, for a post-hype glove-only player with some upside. Then they immediately spent some of their limited resources getting a 30 year old player with the same strengths and weaknesses except no upside. 

If you’re rebuilding, Shewmake needs reps at the big league level. If you’re contending, neither Shewmake nor Dejong is good enough, and btw you actually still need Bummer.

And if, whats most likely actually true, this is a wasted transition year and someone is just going to hold the position warm for Montgomery, there’s no reason at all for that not to be Shewmake, who could at least turn into something tradable or useful. What are the chances that can trade Dejong for something more valuable than Shewmake anyway? In what world do you need both? 

This just feels like random move-making 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Although the placeholders will most certainly stink, making the prospects earn the job over just handing it to them out of negligence/necessity is a refreshing change of pace. 

It’s early on this off-season but until Cease is dealt for some almost ready mlb prospects the future is going to look grim even for their “competing” year in 2025. A bunch of one year stop gaps ain’t gonna cut it come next offseason when the only real prospects you currently have that look to make an impact soon is Montgomery and Quero. 

16 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

I don’t make assumptions slugger. 

Slugger? Lol…did you read the post in its entirety? Don’t know how you missed the part of things going south quickly for this organization you didn’t understand. IMO Daffy Duck and Mickey Mouse have a better shot at being in the 2024 rotation than Dylan Cease does. 

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hope we lose +100 games just so I can hear Getz brag about how we were the best defensive team in the league and ignore the fact we sucked a giant fucking you know what.

You don't need much defense when the ball goes over the fence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

But we have like 4 Remillards we can park in Charlotte in reserve; maybe they have limited options, I don't know.

Nicky isn't going to get any better.  I suppose Shewmake might.  Anyway, if the idea is to park them in Charlotte, then why not try to get a real prospect out of the deal instead?

And then if they sign Merrifield on top of this, it gets really confusing.

Lopez is almost certainly going to be on the MLB roster. Shewmake will be in Charlotte. Remillard probably doesn’t survive the offseason on the 40 man. 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lopez is almost certainly going to be on the MLB roster. Shewmake will be in Charlotte. Remillard probably doesn’t survive the offseason on the 40 man. 

Without DeJong is the 40 man full at the moment? Who gets the hook once he passes the physical? 

2 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

The White Sox have been serving Jive Turkeys for Thanksgiving since 1981

r Th

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I mean, I guess. I see a team perennially crying poor that traded a reliever, which it needed, for a post-hype glove-only player with some upside. Then they immediately spent some of their limited resources getting a 30 year old player with the same strengths and weaknesses except no upside. 

If you’re rebuilding, Shewmake needs reps at the big league level. If you’re contending, neither Shewmake nor Dejong is good enough, and btw you actually still need Bummer.

And if, whats most likely actually true, this is a wasted transition year and someone is just going to hold the position warm for Montgomery, there’s no reason at all for that not to be Shewmake, who could at least turn into something tradable or useful. What are the chances that can trade Dejong for something more valuable than Shewmake anyway? In what world do you need both? 

Like mutual fund active managers churning the portfolio at the end of the quarter...but in the end, they're not actually any better because now they're relying even more on Crochet and Banks, which somehow could be worse than 2023 because...well...things just seem to be getting worse by the month since the ASB and then FoD RF corn walk-off in August, 2021.

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

i just want someone to get Getz to admit JR didn't know what he was talking about and this is indeed another re-build. 

I just hope they don't tout this signing. The guy was released twice last year.

Cues 52nd Street. Side One, Track Two, 1978.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

It’s early on this off-season but until Cease is dealt for some almost ready mlb prospects the future is going to look grim even for their “competing” year in 2025. A bunch of one year stop gaps ain’t gonna cut it come next offseason when the only real prospects you currently have that look to make an impact soon is Montgomery and Quero. 

Ramos

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

i just want someone to get Getz to admit JR didn't know what he was talking about and this is indeed another re-build. 

I just hope they don't tout this signing. The guy was released twice last year.

Yep, what did JR say? Something about this won't be a rebuild and this team has enough to win, just needs to be tweaked or something like that??.

That's JR tweaking the fans, wanting everyone to re-up their tickets plans.

Getz was probably cringing listing to that, thinking what the hell did I get myself into. No established GM would ever consider working for JR, career suicide (after 20 years of course).

I just read this morning that the Red Sox are looking to add a 2B to strengthen a weakness they see . Seems like they are looking at Cincy and Yyankee 2B as options. Then I see White Sox have probably signed DeJong to bolster their infield. This is why we are shopping in the bargain bins for a player that was let go in 2023.  Luckily Getz found him................... 

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

They could have non-tendered him, along with like 4 other guys and no one would care, to help keep the 40-man open for the Rule 5 Draft.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

10 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'm not exactly pounding on the door to get Shewmake's 2023 .705 AAA OPS and .716 (minors) lifetime OPS into the everyday MLB lineup because he just got here, but I get where you're coming from. The placeholders they got are easy to punt if/when they predictably stink, so I don't mind the strategy of having a few of these guys to play with and not immediately throwing a younger dude to the fire because you just traded for him. I don't think anyone actually believes that they think they're going to "contend" for anything outside of a potential bottom five record in 2024. TBH I'm going to be quite surprised if DeJong is still on the roster in June given his recent track record. 

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic