The Winter Meetings thread

Lip Man 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He might outlive us all.

He actually does look like he is in great shape for an 87 year old. I'd peg him at no more than 70 just from that picture. 

He will end up being like Castro. Except, instead of outliving like 10 Presidents, JR will outlive like 5 generations of Sox fans. Lol

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

He actually does look like he is in great shape for an 87 year old. I'd peg him at no more than 70 just from that picture. 

He will end up being like Castro. Except, instead of outliving like 10 Presidents, JR will outlive like 5 generations of Sox fans. Lol

I was thinking the same thing. All my negative opinions aside I hope I look like that at 87, let alone make it to 87. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

As someone said last week I believe, I think the Winter Meetings aren't as big these days as they used to be. They can meet face to face while sitting at home in their home offices if they want to over Skype or G-Chat or whatever.

It depends on the year and the Market. Last year, the Mets were pushing hard in free agency, creating a huge market for players, so teams jumped to get things done. That week last year you had DeGrom to the Rangers right before the meetings, Verlander, Judge, Bogaertz, and Turner all agreeing to contracts during the meetings, and the Braves trade for Murphy a couple of days afterwards. 

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

As someone said last week I believe, I think the Winter Meetings aren't as big these days as they used to be. They can meet face to face while sitting at home in their home offices if they want to over Skype or G-Chat or whatever.

MLB needs deadlines like other leagues. It's too damn stagnant as it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

It depends on the year and the Market. Last year, the Mets were pushing hard in free agency, creating a huge market for players, so teams jumped to get things done. That week last year you had DeGrom to the Rangers right before the meetings, Verlander, Judge, Bogaertz, and Turner all agreeing to contracts during the meetings, and the Braves trade for Murphy a couple of days afterwards. 

Moves happen but I still don't think it's like how it was in the past. They even chopped a day off of the schedule (not sure if they did last year or not).

Edit: scratch that, they were shorter last year too.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/12/4/23988512/white-sox-not-very-close-on-making-deal

“Right now, we’re not very close,” Getz said. 

Cease will likely go to a contender, a status the Sox are not be expected to assume in 2024. They could patch things with top free agents but won’t. With a lacking farm system and a major league team coming off two hugely disappointing seasons, they’re expected to trim payroll and lean to the long term.

The Sox won’t call it a rebuild, but when you’re trading Cease, how else would it be characterized?

“I would think ‘retool’ is a good way to phrase it,” Getz said. “I say that because we do have talent on this roster. Obviously it hasn’t worked, so you’ve got to be creative and find ways to improve it. We talk about the makeup and the chemistry of the team or certainly add depth or acquire players who are flat out better. We are on a pursuit to improve this team and there are different ways to go about it.”

• Thanks 1

At least they're not dumb enough to announce a Grifol extension so he's not a "lame duck" going into this what looks to be a truly horrific season...can't imagine the Cease rumors are helping ticket brokers trying to cajole former season ticket holders back into the fold during these prime Christmas sales weeks.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

At least they're not dumb enough to announce a Grifol extension so he's not a "lame duck" going into this what looks to be a truly horrific season...can't imagine the Cease rumors are helping ticket brokers trying to cajole former season ticket holders back into the fold during these prime Christmas sales weeks.

How can you not make Grillfoil look like a lame duck. He was born that way. 

• Quin changed the title to The Winter Meetings thread