53 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Imagine this sexy rotation post Cease trade:

1. Mike Soroka
  2. Michael Kopech
  3. Erick Fedde
  4. Touki Toussaint
  5. Jared Shuster*

image.jpeg

No Scholtens?   And the comeback of the inimitable Davis Martin?

How soon they all forget. 

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/erick-fedde-drawing-interest-from-mlb-clubs.html

Merrill Kelly got a two-year, $5.5MM deal from Arizona going into 2019. A year later, Josh Lindblom got $9.125MM plus incentives over three years from the Brewers. Chris Flexen got $4.75MM over two years from the Mariners prior to 2021, plus a vesting option for 2023. Fedde may be able to top those figures through a combination of his superb season, his former prospect pedigree and inflation, but the guarantee still figures to be lighter than the top available arms.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Yeah, the Mets are one of the few teams that I think can use the term "retool" with a straight face.

The White Sox...no.

Meanwhile, I resolve all judgement on Fedde until I get an @Eminor3rd scouting report.

Sorry — Fedde was KBO, I really only follow NPB. All I know about Fedde is that he dominated the league. Not sure what he changed, if anything. 

"Can you imagine a rotation of Giolito, Flaherty, Soroka, Toussaint, and Fedde, with Kopech in the bullpen?" - 2019 Soxtalk

Picking up a bunch of former first rounders feels reminiscent of our attempts at all of those outfield reclamation projects, though in this case we're cobbling together an entire rotation of them.

Fedde seems like the perfect "show-me" signing for a team like the Sox. A 2-year deal seems reasonable if at $10M total (though I suspect there'll be incentives thrown in there)

Essentially give him a big league audition at a low cost. If he does well at the trade deadline, his trade value is high because of the second year on his deal.

If he sucks, it's OK - the team will suck, and probably for really cheap, so a hit on 2025 is absorbable.

• Like 2

Please note that all of my "this seems like a good signing" or "this seems like a good idea" thoughts are based on the premise that the 2024 team will be atrocious, and the 2025 team will be .500 in the most optimistic, "Getz is a genius - he was able to bring the team back to mediocrity!" kind of way.

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

‘A Fedde’. Known nomenclature substitute for ‘A Reinsdorf’.  Understood to be a typical substitute for a real aquisition.

Much appreciated....I didn't take Latin in high school so there is a large abyss in my educationalness.

• Like 1