White Sox, Getz have more work to do before spring training opens

South Side Hit Men

Just now, ptatc said:

That's right. Under no circumstances should anyone say anything positive about a White Sox employee. 

When we see alot of stuff that's objectively positive then people will start to be positive.

We have went thru awful period after awful period with garbage ownership, incompetent FOs and a tone deaf arrogant PR department that evidently is so lacking in self awareness that it thinks its a good idea to constantly poke sticks into the eyes of its fans. 

If you want people to be positive dont put lipstick on a pig and call it a supermodel.

IDGAF about Baghdad Scott Merkin or other state media's garbage puff pieces. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

When he was doing his previous job with the White Sox very mediocrely , since the guys before him didn’t give him a job description, didn’t tell him his responsibilities or goals, and didn’t tell him how best to reach them, did he ask?

The fortunately we are in the ALC line is what bothers me. It’s that mindset that has never led them to do all they can to dominate, which is what they should be doing.

One thing that came out after he was hired, I believe it was from Levine, was Getz fundamentally disagreed with a lot of Hahn’s personnel decisions.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

When we see alot of stuff that's objectively positive then people will start to be positive.

We have went thru awful period after awful period with garbage ownership, incompetent FOs and a tone deaf arrogant PR department that evidently is so lacking in self awareness that it thinks its a good idea to constantly poke sticks into the eyes of its fans. 

If you want people to be positive dont put lipstick on a pig and call it a supermodel.

IDGAF about Baghdad Scott Merkin or other state media's garbage puff pieces. 

So, the new guy is the same as all the old ones? 

Why not give him the whole offseason before you assume he'll be incompetent. 

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

Because the same owner is pulling the strings of both and the same owner is crafty enough to hire only people who are otherwise unhireable in like positions so the GM never has any leverage to push back on what's dictated to them even if its stupid because they have nowhere else to go. 

We've dealt with and suffered through the agony of this same basic power dynamic forever. 

As a physician, you of all people should understand the danger in reopening old wounds...

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

It always sounds good on paper. We should not make any decisions though until we see it in person.  We are quickly approaching the end of 2023 and soon the trucks will be gassed and ready for Arizona.  We will soon start to see how the organization is moving forward or backwards.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Do you think Chris Getz would have been a realistic candidate for any other GM position in Major League Baseball? I hope he’s great, but he hasn’t done anything a real candidate couldn’t have done while “wasting” a year. And he was director of player development. It would be nice to see a guy get called up and at least look like they weren’t introduced to baseball in the last couple of days.

I will admit at least it’s not RH or KW is a positive, but it was time for JR to go out of his comfort zone. It wasn’t working. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Because the same owner is pulling the strings of both and the same owner is crafty enough to hire only people who are otherwise unhireable in like positions so the GM never has any leverage to push back on what's dictated to them even if its stupid because they have nowhere else to go. 

We've dealt with and suffered through the agony of this same basic power dynamic forever. 

As a physician, you of all people should understand the danger in reopening old wounds...

To each his own, I'm not going to make those assumptions until proven otherwise. 

I'm not a physician. I'm a physical therapist and athletic trainer. 

I've worked with enough patients in 30 years not to make prior assumptions and deal with the data they provide. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

It always sounds good on paper. We should not make any decisions though until we see it in person.  We are quickly approaching the end of 2023 and soon the trucks will be gassed and ready for Arizona.  We will soon start to see how the organization is moving forward or backwards.

What is sounding good on paper for what the White Sox have done to this point or are expected to be doing?

I think the direction of the organization is well known at this point.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Do you think Chris Getz would have been a realistic candidate for any other GM position in Major League Baseball? I hope he’s great, but he hasn’t done anything a real candidate couldn’t have done while “wasting” a year. And he was director of player development. It would be nice to see a guy get called up and at least look like they weren’t introduced to baseball in the last couple of days.

I have no idea. That's why I'm willing to see what he does. 

It sounds like he is doing all the right things from an organizational perspective so maybe he had an outstanding interview. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Does anyone else think that if the Sox start out 8-20 or something similarly horrible and they finally see what everyone else can see, that Pedro Grifol is not a major league manager, LaRussa somehow comes back into the dugout?

Just give the job to Jirschele in that scenario. It’d be Montoyo tho 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Does anyone else think that if the Sox start out 8-20 or something similarly horrible and they finally see what everyone else can see, that Pedro Grifol is not a major league manager, LaRussa somehow comes back into the dugout?

That could the last straw for me.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Getz definitely is organized.  For the first time the WhiteSox have an organization philosophy.  He also got all the department heads together and outlined their job description, responsibilities,  goals and how best to reach them.  I was told people were "blown away." No one had ever done anything like that before.  It's not going to happen overnight but Getz is turning this organization around.  

I hope you are right but I don’t have the stomach for another rebuild. I still think they are going to do a little retool otherwise we would have seen a lot more movement with guys like Vaughn and Eloy and maybe even Robert traded, we’re stuck with Moncada because of his contract. Then again maybe he has tried moving those guys and their value isn’t all that high and it’s better to keep them and hope for the better and they somehow improve.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

56 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It would be nice to see a guy get called up and at least look like they weren’t introduced to baseball in the last couple of days.

This is probably the funniest part of all these glum rants. Chris Getz has pretty much spent his life in baseball. He's worked in a front office for 9 years. I think it should be a rule that anybody who complains that Chris Getz has no experience to run a front office should also lay out their own baseball resume. 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Getz definitely is organized.  For the first time the WhiteSox have an organization philosophy.  He also got all the department heads together and outlined their job description, responsibilities,  goals and how best to reach them.  I was told people were "blown away." No one had ever done anything like that before.  It's not going to happen overnight but Getz is turning this organization around.  

While this might be a stretch, or genuine sarcasm, it's difficult to see anyone turn this organization around while the same failed ownership group only grows more entrenched in their backwards ways. Getz being more organized and installing a new org philosophy sounds great, but it isn't a high bar compared to the previous regime. The best GM in the game could only do so much while appeasing and being handcuffed by ownership.

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

This is probably the funniest part of all these glum rants. Chris Getz has pretty much spent his life in baseball. He's worked in a front office for 9 years. I think it should be a rule that anybody who complains that Chris Getz has no experience to run a front office should also lay out their own baseball resume. 

He was the Director of Player Development.  What were his duties?

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Don’t think you put together a championship-caliber organization by setting the bar at winning the Central.

That’s the same mentality that has dragged down the Sox for decades now. 

Actually, Jerry’s stated goal to people throughout baseball over decades was to finish second, wave  carrot to fans and having them always wanting more.

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This is good to hear. People shouldn’t jump to conclusions, and it will take a few years to evaluate what he has done to improve the organization. I’ve seen and heard positive things so far.

It will be unfair after a poor initial season with limited talent and payroll to declare this a failure. Ironically the same people who largely supported Hahn’s inept moves have their knives out for Getz.

• Like 2

Of course JR is trimming payroll. Here's my thing about the payroll trimming: spending all the money in the world doesn't necessarily mean you're going to win anything, or even be competitive (ex: NYM, SD). You need someone who can: A) Spend that money wisely, and B) create an environment that great players want to be apart of. Rick Hahn said the money will be spent. Well, he spent it, but he did it in an obscenely stupid way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He was the Director of Player Development.  What were his duties?

realistically, I don't know how anyone on this forum could say with any certainty if he was actually good at this job or not. is minor league records the only indicator? he wasn't signing the players. do you give him credit for Montgomery or Schultz becoming great prospects? or for Cespedes or Kath falling down in the system?

the GM job is more visible, we can see what moves he's making and who he's hiring, and I'm not sure what he would've done differently to look better to fans. he seems to be doing a fine job thus far, what would David Stearns have done differently?

still, the first big test IMO is what he's able to get from Cease; nonetheless, the organizational structure already seems better than it has in years. it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if the Sox compete in the central, the team actually looks better than last season, the wildcard being the pitching staff. still, I prefer to see Fedde and Soroka than I do Flaherty or Wacha. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1