The OF Thread

Chicago White Sox

35 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Even though I'd love to get rid of Beni, he actually is an MLB caliber ballplayer. Right now we don't have many. Robert, Beni, Moncada and Timmy are the only ones along with Cease. Elvis was one, but he's sadly over the hill.

I don't count Eloy. Too small a sample size cause of hammy problems.

Tim Anderson didn’t have his $14 million deal picked up.

$1 million buyout.  Officially a FA.

59 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Even though I'd love to get rid of Beni, he actually is an MLB caliber ballplayer. Right now we don't have many. Robert, Beni, Moncada and Timmy are the only ones along with Cease. Elvis was one, but he's sadly over the hill.

I don't count Eloy. Too small a sample size cause of hammy problems.

Benintendi is barely an MLB caliber player.  If a team was willing to send one dollar to the Sox as “cash considerations” for Benintendi, they would make that trade in a second.  No team would make that deal.

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Benintendi is barely an MLB caliber player.  If a team was willing to send one dollar to the Sox as “cash considerations” for Benintendi, they would make that trade in a second.  No team would make that deal.

If you’re insinuating that the Sox would dump Benintendi and pay the rest of his deal to do so, I strongly disagree. If Jerry is paying him, he’d much rather him fill a roster spot. 

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If you’re insinuating that the Sox would dump Benintendi and pay the rest of his deal to do so, I strongly disagree. If Jerry is paying him, he’d much rather him fill a roster spot. 

I don’t think he said that. Hes saying the deal would be “Benintendi for cash considerations.”

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Optimistically, another team would pay $35-40 million and the Sox would be on the hook for $20-25.

But he’d have to start showing far more power and defense than he did in 2023.

No better time to do it than in his age 30 season 😬

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Tim Anderson didn’t have his $14 million deal picked up.

$1 million buyout.  Officially a FA.

I think I've seen like 5 people tell him this and yet in any post when he talks about TA it's as if he's still on the Sox.

@greg775 Tim Anderson is not on the Chicago White Sox anymore.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think I've seen like 5 people tell him this and yet in any post when he talks about TA it's as if he's still on the Sox.

@greg775 Tim Anderson is not on the Chicago White Sox anymore.

Sign of the times that I'm glad TA is gone. I'm not a healthy fan. Truly am considering picking another team to follow. Fan loyalty to the Sox has waned so much. I want to compare this to something else but I'm not gonna risk starting a commotion on here.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Oscar Gonzalez was DFA'd by the Yankees. Maybe worth a shot over some of the guys on MiLB deals.

Was coming to this thread to post the same.  Another Oscar option for RF.  Still relatively young (just turned 26) and had a decent season offensively for the Guardians in 2022.  Fell apart in 2023.  Supposedly not very good defensively but I’d rather see a guy like this on the roster than retreads like Phillips or Payton.  Still would need someone who can backup CF though.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/yankees-designate-oscar-gonzalez-for-assignment.html#google_vignette

Here was Oscar’s 15 minutes of fame:

https://youtu.be/Te_1BAFPCzo?feature=shared

Edited by WhiteSox2023

https://www.soxon35th.com/5-free-agent-right-fielders-for-the-white-sox-to-consider/

Still hopeful they pick up a RF with ST approaching. They should be able to get one of the first four listed candidates to provide at least cromulent defense.

I do admit being scared Merrifield is still available, though hoping some faux contender like the Mariners find him potentially useful.

Article mentions 2B, but I don’t see them adding anything else beyond RF and a potential bench piece, plus more potential bounce back starters and relievers. 

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Was coming to this thread to post the same.  Another Oscar option for RF.  Still relatively young (just turned 26) and had a decent season offensively for the Guardians in 2022.  Fell apart in 2023.  Supposedly not very good defensively but I’d rather see a guy like this on the roster than retreads like Phillips or Payton.  Still would need someone who can backup CF though.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/yankees-designate-oscar-gonzalez-for-assignment.html#google_vignette

Here was Oscar’s 15 minutes of fame:

https://youtu.be/Te_1BAFPCzo?feature=shared

Meh. If you're gonna put a butcher like Gonzalez in RF, just play the other Oscar.  At least he has the ability to improve.  Either sign a legitimate MLB player to play RF (Duvall, Grichuk and Gallo seem like realistic targets), or just let Colas play FFS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Meh. If you're gonna put a butcher like Gonzalez in RF, just play the other Oscar.  At least he has the ability to improve.  Either sign a legitimate MLB player to play RF (Duvall, Grichuk and Gallo seem like realistic targets), or just let Colas play FFS.

I think they are a little upset with his work ethic/attitude and want to keep him in the minors to have him work to earn it 

7 minutes ago, flavum said:

Chuck and Guff have a new podcast about Yasiel Puig for right field. Ozzie Sr is managing him. Ozzie Jr sounds like his agent. 

A non roster invite? Sure, why not.

Even as a NRI, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the starting right fielder.  Unless the Sox go out and sign Duvall, Gallo, or (gulp) Merrifield, Puig would probably be the best option.

20 minutes ago, flavum said:

Chuck and Guff have a new podcast about Yasiel Puig for right field. Ozzie Sr is managing him. Ozzie Jr sounds like his agent. 

These two clowns actually get paid to cover the White Sox and they think the answer to RF is 33 year old Yasiel Puig who hasn’t played in the MLB since the 2019 season?

Well, I guess so.  Hopefully they replace Garfien right after they find a replacement for Benetti.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

These two clowns actually get paid to cover the White Sox and they think the answer to RF is 33 year old Yasiel Puig who hasn’t played in the MLB since the 2019 season?

Well, I guess so.  Hopefully they replace Garfien right after they find a replacement for Benetti.

Jay and Alonso worked so well…Parrot…LaRoche.  Who the hell cares, as long as it’s not Sheets?

40 minutes ago, flavum said:

The guy who settled two sexual assault cases?  Might as well bring in Bauer then.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

The guy who settled two sexual assault cases?  Might as well bring in Bauer then.

Imagine creating a 40 minute podcast trying to justify the baseball team you cover acquiring Yasiel Puig as your starting RF.  I’d probably be looking to change careers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Pretty much sums up my view on the two. 

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

The two know cases happened immediately before and after Dodgers Fest 2017. One involved choking & biting. Puig paid both off. MLB didn’t suspend him for even a day. The Dodgers wanted to keep Puig’s contract, wanted to dump Bauer’s contract. That is the primary basis of MLB’s decisions in these matters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/12/13/yasiel-puig-mlb-dodgers-sexual-assault-allegations/

MLB closed its investigation without taking action, a decision “based on the evidence available to league investigators,” according to an MLB spokesman. Puig then had one of the best seasons of his career, helping the 2017 Dodgers get within one win of a World Series championship.

Consistent with Rocky Wirtz’ recollections of his team’s sexual assaults, Stan Kasten feigned amnesia when asked about the situation a few years later.

Stan Kasten, Dodgers president and CEO, said of the 2017 allegations against Puig, “I have no recollection of that at all.” He declined to answer further questions.