White Sox sign Brett Phillips

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/01/white-sox-agree-to-deal-with-brett-phillips.html

It’s a minor league deal. He’s a can cover CF, about the level of player I expected for 26th man (Billy Hamilton). I suggested Jonathan Davis in my budget shopping list.

He’s within 1.0 career bWAR of Eloy (BP 4.7 vs. EJ 5.6) with half the at bats and 43 less MLB games played than Eloy. 

They still need a guy who can start in RF until Colas comes up (or if he doesn’t make it).

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Can he just be the new announcer?

I think a lot of people here would embrace Martin Maldonado if he was named player manager.

I believe Don Kessinger was the last American League Player Manager, and Pete Rose the last one period.

I don’t hate it, but I hate it.  Individually, he’d be a fine 26th man, but as part of a giant collection of 26th men (Lopez, DeJong, Stassi, Tim Hill, Flexen, etc.) it makes me sick to my stomach. Former Royal does not help.  I just pray to God this isn’t a defensive replacement cuz they’re committing to Sheets in right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I don’t hate it, but I hate it.  Individually, he’d be a fine 26th man, but as part of a giant collection of 26th men (Lopez, DeJong, Stassi, Tim Hill, Flexen, etc.) it makes me sick to my stomach. Former Royal does not help.  I just pray to God this isn’t a defensive replacement cuz they’re committing to Sheets in right.

same thoughts here. since it's a minor league deal I can stomach it...but it also is ridiculous that they don't have any no bat, toolsy guys in their own system already for league minimum. 

• Like 2

Just now, Timmy U said:

Regardless of what they do in RF, they desperately needed someone on the roster who could spell Luis Robert on occasion. We saw this last year, in the first half the White Sox played 92 games and Luis Robert started 87 of them and played in 89. Super lucky he didn't break in half. Probably not a big surprise that his production tailed off in the 2nd half and then eventually he did get hurt, although thankfully only minor.

Whatever they do in RF, this had to be done.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

This team is going to suck, especially when you spell out all of the 26th men like that. But I'd rather be fun-bad than boring-bad, so I like this move.

People getting upset about this, do you want to see us lose 100 games with Gavin Sheets falling over his own get in RF? Or would you rather see us lose 100 games with someone who can catch the ball and have a fun personality worth watching?

Because we're losing 100 games - it's just a matter of whether you want to be miserable all season or not.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

This move still doesn't get Shields out of the OF, but there is still time. Just sign like Robbie Grossman or someone if you don't get an immediate MLB OF in a Cease deal.

I think you mean Sheets, although Big Game James is Rowand’s cousin. Maybe he can be a good field, no hit option out there. And he is a former Royal.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

This team is going to suck, especially when you spell out all of the 26th men like that. But I'd rather be fun-bad than boring-bad, so I like this move.

People getting upset about this, do you want to see us lose 100 games with Gavin Sheets falling over his own get in RF? Or would you rather see us lose 100 games with someone who can catch the ball and have a fun personality worth watching?

Because we're losing 100 games - it's just a matter of whether you want to be miserable all season or not.

Getz will lose credibility if they play Sheets anywhere but 1B or DH beyond some emergency.

Gallo is my first choice for a starter for under $10M among available capable RF. Duvall is cromulent because he can also cover CF with a Colas call up, might be a better option in that aspect.

Think you can better flip Gallo if he can find his HR stroke, abs he’s a better bet to last the season.