Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm sold as long as each home run is accompanied by Gene Honda bellowing "White Sox. We have the meats."

They can continue their self-own tradition ala the Guaranteed Rate down arrow by flashing "We Have Defeats" on the scoreboard after each loss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Put a retractable roof on it.

April weather sucks ass, but I feel like the added cost of a retractable roof probably kills any hope of a new park happening. Along with the added footprint needed to support the structure. I'm no engineer, but it's hard to visualize a retractable roof stadium with an intimate park vibe inside and also space for any sort of fan plaza outside. There is only so much space available onsite.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I lived in the South Loop in the early 2000s. Printer's Row was the closest thing to nightlife outside of a few scattered spots. I'm still surprised by the volume of foot traffic now compared to then. It's really a night and day difference.

Too bad you didn't buy a place down there.  You probably would have 5 X'd it by now.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

April weather sucks ass, but I feel like the added cost of a retractable roof probably kills any hope of a new park happening. Along with the added footprint needed to support the structure. I'm no engineer, but it's hard to visualize a retractable roof stadium with an intimate park vibe inside and also space for any sort of fan plaza outside. There is only so much space available onsite.

Yeah, I guess overall, the weather during the season isn't too bad.

43 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Too bad you didn't buy a place down there.  You probably would have 5 X'd it by now.

Oh I know. I was a Columbia kid splitting a tiny loft apartment back then. Hardly in any position to buy before every inch of space exploded into $$$ condos.

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Oh I know. I was a Columbia kid splitting a tiny loft apartment back then. Hardly in any position to buy before every inch of space exploded into $$$ condos.

I definitely get it.  I wish I had bought down there too when you could find a condo for like 200/250k

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Oh man, haven't thought about there in years!   Great pizza by the slice.   South Loop had kind of moved younger in recent years with some of the newer buildings being bought by people who didn't want to commute.  I started working in the financial district in 1998, and it used to just empty there after 5pm.  Now there is actually people and life going on, especially south of Congress.

Big Ceres Cafe guy?

52 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If you can get a ballpark village around the stadium in a premium area, I think that outweighs any benefits a retractable roof can provide.  Especially when there are going to be plenty of facilities that can house winter events, including a new Bears stadium.  The juice is just not worth the squeeze at that point.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Please lord, pick a good name.

Wintrust Bank seems to be involved quite often with marketing both baseball teams. We all know it's going to be something corporate, might as well be local? I thought I heard Wintrust had a proposal to JR for when the US Cellular deal expired...something like "Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park" or something. I wouldn't mind that.

If I had my druthers (I promise I'm not Rick Hahn) it would be simple. Sox Park. That's what I call it now anyways, guaranteed rate and all associated nicknames is so stupid. Other teams have done it: Yankee Stadium, Dodgers Stadium, Angel Stadium, Nationals Park, Oriole Park at Camden Yards. I didn't grow up in the Comiskey era so I don't have any real sentimental value to the Comiskey name, although I do understand the historical value.

They could also get creative with the South Side or the Neighborhood. "Southsiders Stadium."

"Sox Park at The 78."

Edited by ScootsMcGoots
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Wintrust Bank seems to be involved quite often with marketing both baseball teams. We all know it's going to be something corporate, might as well be local? I thought I heard Wintrust had a proposal to JR for when the US Cellular deal expired...something like "Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park" or something. I wouldn't mind that.

If I had my druthers (I promise I'm not Rick Hahn) it would be simple. Sox Park. That's what I call it now anyways, guaranteed rate and all associated nicknames is so stupid. Other teams have done it: Yankee Stadium, Dodgers Stadium, Angel Stadium, Nationals Park, Oriole Park at Camden Yards. I didn't grow up in the Comiskey era so I don't have any real sentimental value to the Comiskey name, although I do understand the historical value.

They could also get creative with the South Side or the Neighborhood. "South Side Stadium at The 78"

That rumored Wintrust proposal came to mind, but with Wintrust Arena not far away, seems like a lot of confusion waiting to happen.

4 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

They could also get creative with the South Side or the Neighborhood. "South Side Stadium at The 78"

I’d be shocked if it isn’t named after a company. Naming rights are worth too much to pass up, especially for a new stadium. Sox fans will find their own name for it though. I like the seven-eight personally, but having something like “Wintrust Field at the 78” wouldn’t be the worst thing IMO.

9 hours ago, bmags said:

Eh owners don’t seem to f*** with others nest egg once they are in the crew. 

These are the kinds of guys who destroy each other over breakfast.  I would bet money there are some grudges in that room the day that this team gets a vote in front of the ownership group, especially if Jerry is involved.

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I’d be shocked if it isn’t named after a company. Naming rights are worth too much to pass up, especially for a new stadium. Sox fans will find their own name for it though. I like the seven-eight personally, but having something like “Wintrust Field at the 78” wouldn’t be the worst thing IMO.

If it's going to be corporate I think they at least should keep it local and something fans will like and also something that will make visitors curious.  "Giordano's Field." "Malnati's Stadium." "Buona Ballpark." "Portillo's Park." I mean those places probably don't have the money to shell out for naming rights but at least it would iconic to the city (even if they are all chains and the best ones are the mom-n-pop shops that only the locals know).

Just now, ScootsMcGoots said:

If it's going to be corporate I think they at least should keep it local and something fans will like and also something that will make visitors curious.  "Giordano's Field." "Malnati's Stadium." "Buona Ballpark." "Portillo's Park." I mean those places probably don't have the money to shell out for naming rights but at least it would iconic to the city (even if they are all chains and the best ones are the mom-n-pop shops that only the locals know).

The Sox are probably looking a 4 to 5 million per year for naming rights in a new park.  Pretty sure none of those guys have those kinds of pockets.

28 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

They could also get creative with the South Side or the Neighborhood. "Southsiders Stadium."

"Sox Park at The 78."

Not taking Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park - a name that literally has the words "win" and "trust" in the name - and instead opting for GIANT DOWNWARD ARROW is such a nonsensical flub that only JR could do it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox are probably looking a 4 to 5 million per year for naming rights in a new park.  Pretty sure none of those guys have those kinds of pockets.

Alright.

Let's do Jordan Field, but it has a statue of Jordan in a Sox uniform.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Boeing Field. Looks really nice but random parts fall off.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Eh, you’d be surprised. But it wouldn’t happen for such smaller companies. The nationwide brands will always be able to beat it.

"After the crooked river canal was filled and what is now known as the Rezko property was born, the land was used as a train yard and entry point for Grand Central until the 1970’s. When the yard was demolished, no one bothered to hook up sewer or water pipes or run electricity to the property, or even build streets or sidewalks to the lot. Located 30 feet below Roosevelt Road, the property is practically inaccessible from three sides—and, if anyone wanted to build on it, they’d first have to invest significantly in preliminary infrastructure as well as clean up all the garbage and chemicals in the soil. This is partially why Rezko failed to do anything with the land—besides having to deal instead with his money laundering and fraud convictions, of course."

https://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/august-2013/rezkos-lot/

• Haha 1