Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

18 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Terry Boers was the last decent host on the station. Most corporate media is a waste, and there to sell adds to the few thousand who tune in. I really don't think they carry any sway beyond existing as a windsock.

I would like both Montreal to get a team and the Sox to agree to an equitable agreement to remain either at 35th and Shields or somewhere within the City, including this 78 parcel. Montreal is the only MLB city which lost a team which still does not have one, with Oakland being a future possibility. The 1994 cancelled season and Jeff Loria were the primary reasons Montreal lost the Expos, which never should have happened.

Quebecois!

I listened a few times after Uncle Terry retired but it is just hot garbage. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Falstaff said:

Balmer is a Clipper fan's dream for ownership. The 2 guys I can think of that have more money than they know what to do with are the Mets & Panthers owners. I am not sure how that will all play out in New York and Charlotte, especially Charlotte.

I wonder if the next White Sox owner is already negotiating with Jerry behind the scenes. I hope it's  George Lucas's wife Mellody Hudson. She is a Southside Sox fan with access to billions of dollars.

As a Panthers fan I can tell you their owner David Tepper, who is one of the richest  in sports is more hated than JR is by White Sox fans. He is not afraid to spend money, but is involved so much to the point where he suggested plays they run. His short tenure so far has been a disaster and goes to show you a new owner may not fix things. A lot of these owners think they are so smart they know better than the professionals and many are Narcissists.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lightly Folded said:

Geez. Listening to The Score this morning isn’t easy. The hosts seemed not only resigned to the Sox leaving Illinois but are urging they leave. One host stated his hope they move to Montreal over Nashville. Egads! 

The fact that many hosts are Cub fans and the Score is the Cubs’ flagship station factors into this not at all, no sir. 

10 minutes ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

The fact that many hosts are Cub fans and the Score is the Cubs’ flagship station factors into this not at all, no sir. 

Actually, I'm pretty sure most of their hosts are Sox fans: Bernstein, Holmes, Mully, and Haugh. You wouldn't know if you didn't/haven't listen for a while. At least they were anyway lol

I think they're just like a lot of people here and sick of the JR era.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure most of their hosts are Sox fans: Bernstein, Holmes, Mully, and Haugh. You wouldn't know if you didn't/haven't listen for a while. At least they were anyway lol

Sure, but their overreaction to a few things has been ridiculous.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sure, but their overreaction to a few things has been ridiculous.

I’m guilty of putting them on only when something ridiculous has happened involving the Sox, whether it be on or off the field, that I have been pissed or laughed at. Listened too often the last couple of years lol

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

Chicago and Illinois aren't alone in being taken to the cleaners by JR, Glendale got smoked. Tax revenue from anther development fell through. That sounds familiar. Any politician signing off on JR's 78 request should be done when their term ends.

Glendale built its spring training facility for $152.6 million in 2009. The park stands in Phoenix, so Glendale only collects about $65,000 a year in sales tax on the site per a sharing agreement with Phoenix.

The project left Glendale about $200 million in debt, which grows to $370 million over the next two decades when factoring interest. Debt payments are expected to claim nearly $2 of every $10 in the city's general fund next fiscal year.

City officials originally planned to pay off debt with tax revenue from expected development and support from the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority. But the development fell through

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If they are Sox fans who are willing to see the team leave over an 88 year old owner who won’t be around long, that makes them worse. 

• Like 1

For the umpteenth time, the 78 proposal was dreamed up and hyped by a developer that could not obtain financing or public funding for several past projects there. This things was NOT the WSox or Reinsdorf's idea.

Related paid for a laughable rendering of a generic stadium that has absolutely no relationship to historical baseball architecture, including original Comiskey or Wrigley.  There is nothing to make it a destination or a special experience like Fenway or even the more modern stadiums, including Three Rivers or Oracle Park. It is a POS. But, Related thnks that smacking a several story high lighted SOX  logo on the side, a few whirlybirds with fireworks will be enough to impress some fans. LOL. A view of the Loop?  So what, but even that looks like it is blocked by a huge scoreboard, a similar mistake that was made during the remodel of Wrigley where the neighborhood views from inside and outside the park were blocked off with scoreboards.

So we have a greedy developer with a laughable plan to build as many buildings as they could draw in as small a space as possible, leaving WSox fans with no useful ingress/egress or provisions for reasonable parking. Oh, and Related wants Billions from IL taxpayers to develop that site? LOL.  No matter what you think of Gov. Pritzker, he is right about this one. No public funds for stadiums or funds awarded to private developers to build more unnecessary office space or high end condos.  The answer is no.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 6

5 hours ago, 77 Hitmen said:

33% of 10 million people is still a base of over 3 million people.  Neither Nashville or any other of the mentioned expansion cities has a metro area over 3 million.  IMO, a South Loop ballpark would have a lasting positive impact on the Sox market share in Chicago.  Right now, only diehards are bothering to go to 35th St. even if it's only a few el stops away.  

I also wonder if it's easier for fans who live thousands of miles away to say they don't care if the Sox move to another city.  I live in Chicagoland and I DO CARE if the Sox move out of town (and I don't think they're going to move).

After being a die hard since 1952 I have to admit that the last 2 seasons have really soured me but I really don’t want them to leave my hometown and where I lived the first 47 years of my life. I can’t begin to tell you how many sleepless nights I have had after White Sox losses, I would listen to games with a transistor radio under my pillow not only in my younger years but also as an adult into my 40s. The Sox have been part of my DNA since I was in first grade but as I said earlier, the last 2 years have probably affected my DNA but if I didn’t care anymore I wouldn’t be a member of SOX TALK not to mention a few other sites.

• Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, tray said:

For the umpteenth time, the 78 proposal was dreamed up and hyped by a developer that could not obtain financing or public funding for several past projects there. This things was NOT the WSox or Reinsdorf's idea.

Related paid for a laughable rendering of a generic stadium that has absolutely no relationship to historical baseball architecture, including original Comiskey or Wrigley.  There is nothing to make it a destination or a special experience like Fenway or even the more modern stadiums, including Three Rivers or Oracle Park. It is a POS. But, Related thnks that smacking a several story high lighted SOX  logo on the side, a few whirlybirds with fireworks will be enough to impress some fans. LOL. A view of the Loop?  So what, but even that looks like it is blocked by a huge scoreboard, a similar mistake that was made during the remodel of Wrigley where the neighborhood views from inside and outside the park were blocked off with scoreboards.

So we have a greedy developer with a laughable plan to build as many buildings as they could draw in as small a space as possible, leaving WSox fans with no useful ingress/egress or provisions for reasonable parking. Oh, and Related wants Billions from IL taxpayers to develop that site? LOL.  No matter what you think of Gov. Pritzker, he is right about this one. No public funds for stadiums or funds awarded to private developers to build more unnecessary office space or high end condos.  The answer is no.

JFC…someone post the old man yells at cloud meme.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

If they are Sox fans who are willing to see the team leave over an 88 year old owner who won’t be around long, that makes them worse. 

See I think Sox fans (not you in particular) have a double standard. Pride ourselves in not supporting crap, but at the same time, we crap on those who aren't supporting the crap. 

I'm with whatever pushes JR to be out of the sports game fastest. Whether that's giving him his darn stadium to make it more attractive to sell the team, or losing out to take his ball and go home (via relocation or sale). You say he's 88 like he hasn't been stirring up more and more trouble. Now, he's willing to blame lack of attendance to potentially screw over tax payers as one of his final acts as if his product isn't complete and utter garbage. 

2 hours ago, tray said:

Lots of people liked the renderings. And what makes you think JR cares about "historical baseball architecture" when he's the one who greenlit Guaranteed Rate which looked like a parking garage and a baseball field had a baby the day it was thought of?

Make no mistake, JR wants a new stadium and a new sweetheart deal from the city and state. There was already talk if him looking at the UC area or Soldier Field before the Related talk began. He also is friends with the developer.

• Paper Bag 1

12 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Chicago and Illinois aren't alone in being taken to the cleaners by JR, Glendale got smoked. Tax revenue from anther development fell through. That sounds familiar. Any politician signing off on JR's 78 request should be done when their term ends.

Glendale built its spring training facility for $152.6 million in 2009. The park stands in Phoenix, so Glendale only collects about $65,000 a year in sales tax on the site per a sharing agreement with Phoenix.

The project left Glendale about $200 million in debt, which grows to $370 million over the next two decades when factoring interest. Debt payments are expected to claim nearly $2 of every $10 in the city's general fund next fiscal year.

City officials originally planned to pay off debt with tax revenue from expected development and support from the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority. But the development fell through

If anyone can pay $370M for something that costs $152M, it's the government 😂

• Paper Bag 1

3 hours ago, dohnut said:

If anyone can pay $370M for something that costs $152M, it's the government 😂

They were wooed by something else being built that will more than cover the cost of the ballpark project...same as it ever was. A very familiar pitch. The other interesting thing is the Sox don't draw very well there.  I wonder If JR is going to need them to build him another complex, you know, so he can compete. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Paper Bag 1

22 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I've just e-mailed him asking if based on his extensive research for the book he can clear this point up.

The Richmond book has the original 1986 HOK rendering for Camden Yards (below), which looks strikingly like New Comiskey - symmetric dimensions, steep upper deck, bleachers between the foul poles, decorative latticework in the outfield, and an exterior that's nothing but ramps. Maybe they showed the Sox this version, because it's pretty much what they built in Chicago.

There's also a revised 1987 CY rendering that's essentially the same thing, but the warehouse is preserved in right field. It wasn't until 1988 that HOK began to add the retro features to Camden Yards. But New Comiskey was already under construction by then, so I'm not sure how Reinsdorf could have seen it and rejected it.

I'll be curious to hear what your source says.

CY.jpg

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, kba said:

The Richmond book has the original 1986 HOK rendering for Camden Yards (below), which looks strikingly like New Comiskey - symmetric dimensions, steep upper deck, bleachers between the foul poles, decorative latticework in the outfield, and an exterior that's nothing but ramps. Maybe they showed the Sox this version, because it's pretty much what they built in Chicago.

There's also a revised 1987 CY rendering that's essentially the same thing, but the warehouse is preserved in right field. It wasn't until 1988 that HOK began to add the retro features to Camden Yards. But New Comiskey was already under construction by then, so I'm not sure how Reinsdorf could have seen it and rejected it.

I'll be curious to hear what your source says.

CY.jpg

My opinion? If the Sox had built the first retro park, it would have been roundly mocked and sneered at as the Sox trying to build a wannabe, fake park and fans  would have groused “why didn’t they just fix up the old one?” and the media would have sneered “why would you go to a fake old park when you have the real thing up north?” 

Edited by NO!!MARY!!!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

My opinion? If the Sox had built the first retro park, it would have been roundly mocked and sneered at as the Sox trying to build a wannabe, fake park and fans  would have groused “why didn’t they just fix up the old one?” and the media would have sneered “why would you go to a fake old park when you have the real thing up north?” 

That's a good point - and probably right. I could totally see people saying they were trying to copy Wrigley.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

This South Loop stadium talk has died down in the media. I wonder whats going on behind the scene.

In short, the media has moved on to the next hot story.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

They're not overreacting. Nothing they've said is wrong. 

How many “I’m done with the Sox” comments do we need from them?  Holmes is the worst of the bunch now.  Can he go to Detroit with Benetti?

• Like 3