Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I get it and hope they do eventually sell, just posting what was included in the piece. 

Understand completely. Like I posted as recently from speaking with sources in and out of the organization for the story in November 2022 he won't sell because of the tax hit and has told his family to unload it because supposedly it is not making money due to no salary cap.

Maybe something has changed for him health-wise? 

The very last thing Sox fans should want is for another Reinsdorf to own this club.

Edited by Lip Man 1

Just heard this on news and in article below....... JR's "opening his wallet" and will contribute 200 million to a new stadium.  Pretty sad when your outspent by the McCaskeys, who are willing to put up 2 billion of their money for a new stadium.   

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/04/23/chicago-white-sox-ballpark-project-the-78-jerry-reinsdorf-sports-teams-mlb-news?publicationSource=sbd&issue=9d01b474bb7b438081b7e33eb05afbf5

The McCaskeys are not putting up $2B out of their own pockets.  They are cobbling that together through a variety of means - PSLs on seats for the new stadium, drawing funds out of an NFL new stadium construction fund, naming rights for the new stadium, etc.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Realfan said:

The McCaskeys are not putting up $2B out of their own pockets.  They are cobbling that together through a variety of means - PSLs on seats for the new stadium, drawing funds out of an NFL new stadium construction fund, naming rights for the new stadium, etc.

I find it odd that the Bears would put in over $2B into a stadium they would not own.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I find it odd that the Bears would put in over $2B into a stadium they would not own.

So do I, that's why they will ultimately wind up in Arlington Heights. They will show some drawings, just like the Sox did a while back, and that will excite a lot of people, but when it gets time to pay, they are going to be SOL with the state.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So do I, that's why they will ultimately wind up in Arlington Heights. They will show some drawings, just like the Sox did a while back, and that will excite a lot of people, but when it gets time to pay, they are going to be SOL with the state.

I assume there is already some sort of handshake deal with the mayor for them to make this most recent announcement a day before they draft Caleb..

55 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I assume there is already some sort of handshake deal with the mayor for them to make this most recent announcement a day before they draft Caleb..

They need the money from the state. They also are going to have a tough time with friends of the parks. Tomorrow’s deal is the same thing the Sox did when they rendered drawings, exciting a lot of people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If they follow his publicly stated wishes there is no "might" to it, the team will be sold when he passes on. 

21 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

There was also this part

I wonder what a buyer thinks of Guaranteed Rate Field and doesn’t think their current home works for the White Sox and fans. I also wonder if a buyer would move them out of the state, or if we should be more concerned with JR threatening moving out of the state.

Just now, The Beast said:

I wonder what a buyer thinks of Guaranteed Rate Field and doesn’t think their current home works for the White Sox and fans. I also wonder if a buyer would move them out of the state, or if we should be more concerned with JR threatening moving out of the state.

As has been pointed out the expansion cities talked about don't come close to the opportunities offered by the Chicago area. Not even close.

There is tremendous untapped potential here if a new owner would build a good organization. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Not only do the other proposed cities make zero sense financially.  MLB owners will absolutely block any attempt by the Sox to ever move out of Chicago.  Revenue sharing is a thing, Chicago is the 3rd largest media market in the league, and if the Sox ever did leave the Cubs, Milwaukee, and StL would block any future expansion into the market.  Zero percent chance the Sox leave regardless of what Jerry wants you to believe.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

The most likely scenario is they work out a deal with the city/state for a new ballpark and Reinsdorf leaves the team to his son.  

• Like 3

While I know a lot of folks here only watch White Sox baseball and would give up  baseball if the Sox moved, a whole lot more fans would eventually slide over to the north side because they love baseball and Chicago. While a great Yankee type franchise would rule this city, reality is as a mediocre second tier franchise they would do fine in some new market that is starved for a major sports team.  There may be a small slip in revenue from Chicago, but the league will make it up with a new market. They will have an excuse for not being competitive and life goes on. They may be the next Philadelphia/KC/Oakland/nameless Athletics. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The most likely scenario is they work out a deal with the city/state for a new ballpark and Reinsdorf leaves the team to his son.  

Since it seems to be leaning this way (about his son) - what should we expect out of him as an owner?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Since it seems to be leaning this way (about his son) - what should we expect out of him as an owner?

Look at the Bulls. The VP/GM duo is an absolute disaster. Any normal organization would have fired them by now, but they still have a job. It's basically the same old Reinsdorf BS. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Texsox said:

While I know a lot of folks here only watch White Sox baseball and would give up  baseball if the Sox moved, a whole lot more fans would eventually slide over to the north side because they love baseball and Chicago. While a great Yankee type franchise would rule this city, reality is as a mediocre second tier franchise they would do fine in some new market that is starved for a major sports team.  There may be a small slip in revenue from Chicago, but the league will make it up with a new market. They will have an excuse for not being competitive and life goes on. They may be the next Philadelphia/KC/Oakland/nameless Athletics. 

Wrigley Field is too remote for most people who live in many of our suburbs to travel to, assuming that they would want to repeat that long trip, bus ride, etc..and get crammed into that place with North siders. No thanks.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, tray said:

Wrigley Field is too remote for most people who live in many of our suburbs to travel to, assuming that they would want to repeat that long trip, bus ride, etc..and get crammed into that place with North siders. No thanks.

Some will stop watching baseball. Even a 40 win team is better than watching a team on the other side of town. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tray said:

Pretty sure Wrigley Field gets filled just fine without Sox fans.

• Like 1