Gregory Santos Traded to Mariners for P Prelander Berroa, OF Zach DeLoach and 69th pick

DirtySox

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

So once in how many decades and you are going with that? And I believe he did pitch. 

No doctors aren't infallible hence it's called the practice of medicine. I'll wager he pitches this year. 

Sirotka literally never pitched again in the majors.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sirotmi01.shtml

It looks like he signed a minor league deal with the Cubs after never pitching for the Blue Jays but he never made the team.

https://www.ourmidland.com/news/article/After-Two-Years-Sirotka-Eager-to-Pitch-7068683.php

Edited by WhiteSox2023

27 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sirotka literally never pitched again in the majors.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sirotmi01.shtml

It looks like he signed a minor league deal with the Cubs after never pitching for the Blue Jays but he never made the team.

https://www.ourmidland.com/news/article/After-Two-Years-Sirotka-Eager-to-Pitch-7068683.php

OK. So you are going with once in how many years and trades and hanging your hat on that? 

Plus a shoulder injury is much different than an elbow. I'm not saying he won't have other issues even possible surgery as elbow issues tend to escalate. However it rarely progresses from inflammation to not pitching. There are steps in the middle. 

43 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sirotka trade was on January 14, 2001.  According to Keith Law’s Wikipedia page, he was hired by the Blue Jays in 2002.

And you think the feeling of everyone who was around in 2002 was complimentary to the Sox?  They must have felt a sense of revenge in how that season played out for Wells, Frank Thomas and their season long battle just to get back to .500 after a 14-29 start? 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

OK. So you are going with once in how many years and trades and hanging your hat on that? 

Plus a shoulder injury is much different than an elbow. I'm not saying he won't have other issues even possible surgery as elbow issues tend to escalate. However it rarely progresses from inflammation to not pitching. There are steps in the middle. 

No, but I don’t think end of the year elbow inflammation is a good sign of things to come after a one full season workload as a closer.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fathom said:

So Crochet is the new closer?

Unless I missed something I don't think Getz' plan of having Crochet being a starter this year is going to change because they traded someone they were most likely looking to trade to begin with.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How long will that realistically last?

He will never be able to go on back to back days in 2024, so might as well go to a bullpen by VOMmittee approach ...

They would need to build him up for back to backs. However with his injury history you never know. 

30 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No, but I don’t think end of the year elbow inflammation is a good sign of things to come after a one full season workload as a closer.

Any injury is never a good sign. But to go from never a good sign to we don't know if he will pitch this year is a pretty big leap. 

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Do you really think they will lose 110? Are they that much worse than last year?

Going with their all defense and players who swing w paper towel roll for a baseball bat combined with their uncertain rotation and current bullpen as constructed I see them losing 105 games. The losses may not be as bad or as frustrating as last year but they are definitely going to add up. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Thus the onset of the Keith Law Grudge against KW and all things White Sox.

Gord Ash and the Blue Jays front office at the time steadfastly believed that KW sold them damaged goods. If memory serves they even tried to have the trade rescinded.

I’m of the opinion that whoever they take with that pick is the headliner of this trade. Seeing the Sox make a trade like this is refreshing, I don’t think the previous regime would’ve done it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I haven't seen anything in either trade thread about it but it's looking less and less likely with every trade that Whit Merrifield will  be coming to the Sox.

Between him and Salvy, a lot of hand wringing for nothing.  

• Heads22 unpinned this topic