Sox trade Cristian Mena to Arizona for OF Dominic Fletcher

Heads22

6 minutes ago, striker said:

Love this. LH that kills righties. Success in the majors. Walk and defense tools, which raise his floor. We have more “maybes” like Mena than we do OFs.

102 whole plate appearances of major league success and his wOBA exceeded his xwOBA by nearly 80 points during that time.  I hope I’m wrong, but I’m not sure why so many people are excited by this.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

102 whole plate appearances of major league success and his wOBA exceeded his xwOBA by nearly 80 points during that time.  I hope I’m wrong, but I’m not sure why so many people are excited by this.

I’m just saying that’s better than him sucking in 102 PAs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m not sure why so many people are excited by this.

I'm excited because it's not a schlub who will be nudged out by August. I'm excited because we've picked up 6-12 interesting/exciting pitching prospects/projects in the last 8 months, and 0 (zero) OF prospects worthy of note. Between today's 2 OF acquisitions, we probably have our starting RF. If the dude puts up 2 WAR, it's a victory of untold magnitude. 

Of all our pitching prospects, I'd call Christian Mena middle tier. He's also interesting, but I think we can call starting pitching an area where we have multiple options at this point. I would have loved to see Marco Paddy have a resounding victory that validated his presence in the organization. Maybe Lenyn Sosa will be that validation. 

I would have loved to acquire Fletcher for Laz Rivera straight up. I do think we got a very interesting RF option today. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This trade sucks. We have no pitching, why are we trading pitching prospects for mediocre OF talent. 

Who can say “I’ll trust the Sox judgement on Mena” with a straight face? This organization hasn’t earned the trust of anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm excited because it's not a schlub who will be nudged out by August. I'm excited because we've picked up 6-12 interesting/exciting pitching prospects/projects in the last 8 months, and 0 (zero) OF prospects worthy of note. Between today's 2 OF acquisitions, we probably have our starting RF. If the dude puts up 2 WAR, it's a victory of untold magnitude. 

Of all our pitching prospects, I'd call Christian Mena middle tier. He's also interesting, but I think we can call starting pitching an area where we have multiple options at this point. I would have loved to see Marco Paddy have a resounding victory that validated his presence in the organization. Maybe Lenyn Sosa will be that validation. 

I would have loved to acquire Fletcher for Laz Rivera straight up. I do think we got a very interesting RF option today. 

Paddy is getting crushed for Yogurt Vera Cespedes and Colas recently but his lifetime record is impossible to argue with.

All comes down to budget AND willingness to spend.

Just now, striker said:

I’m just saying that’s better than him sucking in 102 PAs.

Oh no doubt, but I wouldn’t call him a sure thing.  He’s probably got a 4th OF floor but anything above that is a huge question mark IMO.  Again, I hope I’m way off and Barfield feels he’s a guy who’s on the cusp of a breakout.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s probably got a 4th OF floor but anything above that is a huge question mark IMO.

Any mortal man who dons a baseball glove is a huge question mark. Eloy, Yoan, Kopech were all top ten prospects in the game, right? I'm ready for anybody to step up and validate their own prospect buzz on the Sox. I think Fletcher looks like low ceiling, high floor. If he can OPS over .700, they've filled a hole. I'm here for it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Any mortal man who dons a baseball glove is a huge question mark. Eloy, Yoan, Kopech were all top ten prospects in the game, right? I'm ready for anybody to step up and validate their own prospect buzz on the Sox. I think Fletcher looks like low ceiling, high floor. If he can OPS over .700, they've filled a hole. I'm here for it. 

If he only OPS’s just over .700, it was a bad trade.  I’m hoping for closer to .775.

Interesting trade in that the Sox trade a guy who has been all projection, no results for a guy who has been all results, no projection.

Personally I like this trade. Even if Fletcher is just a solid 2-3 fWAR guy for a few years, for THIS TEAM it will seem like we got an absolute stud out there when you compare him too all the trash we've been running out in RF since Adam Eaton's first stint. Funny that in the box he looks just like Adam Eaton too. He seems to be an Adam Eaton profile with less speed but more pop.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JoeC said:

Honest question here - what is Mena’s upside? Is he actually decent?

Maybe a #4 starter 

1 hour ago, T R U said:

This trade sucks. We have no pitching, why are we trading pitching prospects for mediocre OF talent. 

Who can say “I’ll trust the Sox judgement on Mena” with a straight face? This organization hasn’t earned the trust of anyone. 

Brian Bannister 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m intrigued by the fact that we appear to have opinions beyond what ranking a player has in last years top prospects.

But he is quite short and older.

Agreed.  This would be a slam dunk IMO if Fletcher was at least a couple years younger.  But at least he showed some talent in around 100 at bats.  Better than how our position prospects do when they hit the bigs.

• Like 1

I’m surprised so many people are upset by this trade.

My expectations for Mena have never been great, so I have no issue turning him into an OF who appears can be a productive all around player for the next six years, despite the low ceiling.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Brian Bannister 

TBH, just the fact that it seems someone in the org has strong opinions is kind of refreshing. When Getz was hired, I think we all expected nothing would change, and in the worst possible way. I don't have any evidence that any of these random fringe moves make sense, but I'm willing to at least try to give them the benefit of the doubt simply because of how monumental it is that someone is actually DOING them. Somebody sees SOMETHING in these random players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

TBH, just the fact that it seems someone in the org has strong opinions is kind of refreshing. When Getz was hired, I think we all expected nothing would change, and in the worst possible way. I don't have any evidence that any of these random fringe moves make sense, but I'm willing to at least try to give them the benefit of the doubt simply because of how monumental it is that someone is actually DOING them. Somebody sees SOMETHING in these random players.

Bannister must hate Gregory Santos. I keep thinking of the Moneyball scene where Billy cuts Jeremi Giambi haha 

• Haha 1

This forum and fanbase makes me angry sometimes. "he is only 5'6", what a bad trade"

Dude put up good numbers in his debut season, looks solid in videos, plays good defense, doesn't swing at sliders 4 feet off the plate like every other garbage hitter we have developed, and STILL some posters on this forum are throwing a fit because of his height. Its like its all they care about.

.7 WAR in 28 games, tore up every level in the minors, plays all 3 OF positions well, solid.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

This forum and fanbase makes me angry sometimes. "he is only 5'6", what a bad trade"

Dude put up good numbers in his debut season, looks solid in videos, plays good defense, doesn't swing at sliders 4 feet off the plate like every other garbage hitter we have developed, and STILL some posters on this forum are throwing a fit because of his height. Its like its all they care about.

.7 WAR in 28 games, tore up every level in the minors, plays all 3 OF positions well, solid.

Still, SSS makes predicting or projecting a 3.5ish fWAR way too premature.

Need at least 300-350 at bats to start drawing any type of conclusions yet.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

I’m surprised so many people are upset by this trade.

My expectations for Mena have never been great, so I have no issue turning him into an OF who appears can be a productive all around player for the next six years, despite the low ceiling.

This trade seems way better to me than the Santos one

• Quin changed the title to Sox trade Cristian Mena to Arizona for OF Dominic Fletcher
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic