ST Thread

pcq

54 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yikes, this makes the Pillar signing look awful.  Basically a 1-year, $2 million dollar deal for a guy who can play all three outfield spots and had a .779 OPS last year.

There's a good chance they made him an offer. Would you rather play for the D-Backs or the White Sox?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yikes, this makes the Pillar signing look awful.  Basically a 1-year, $2 million dollar deal for a guy who can play all three outfield spots and had a .779 OPS last year.

Grichuk OPSed .861 in Colorado, and .677 at sea level in Anaheim. I'm not going to "should" on Getz for this one. Besides, Pillar has the better, "Rookie, is that PlayStation making you a better hitter?" stare than Grichuk. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

There's a good chance they made him an offer. Would you rather play for the D-Backs or the White Sox?

Eh, maybe, but I doubt Grichuk is more concerned with going to a competitor rather than getting more money.  Pillar gets $3 million if he makes the roster.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Grichuk is a White Sox if they offered him a million more than Arizona and guaranteed him $3 million.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea why not. Sheets is a DH that can't hit. He's old enough now to where you can't even squint and see him improving enough to ever play a competent corner OF.

Meanwhile, Smith-Njigba is a 24 year old lefty corner outfielder with good minor league numbers.  Worth a shot.  Sheets had his chances and has proven himself to be a DH that can’t hit.

• Like 4

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Meanwhile, Smith-Njigba is a 24 year old lefty corner outfielder with good minor league numbers.  Worth a shot.  Sheets had his chances and has proven himself to be a DH that can’t hit.

Yea I've followed him a bit because of his brother. If nothing else  he fits what Getz has said he wants to do with the 40 man, get more athletic, more versatile. There's a chance this guy could be a useful 4th OF and a piece we could either flip or try and develop a bit.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea I've followed him a bit because of his brother. If nothing else  he fits what Getz has said he wants to do with the 40 man, get more athletic, more versatile. There's a chance this guy could be a useful 4th OF and a piece we could either flip or try and develop a bit.

Sucks that he had a chance to play with his brother in Seattle but now is the chance for the Sox to grab him.  They should’ve grabbed him the first time he was cut by the Pirates.  For a team that has trouble finding lefty corner outfielders, the Sox should be jumping at any that become available and hope one of them pans out (DeLoach, Smith-Njigba, etc.).

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Might as well bring him into camp, some electric athletes in that family. Not like we have anything to lose.

I saw he is 6' 230. That's a lot of muscle on that height. Still only 24.

I see Russell Wilson (the QB) is still loving baseball now with the Yankees.

The Panda Pablo Sandoval is trying a comeback with the Giants. For anyone thinking damn I thought he was 50 years old, he's 37.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

And actually younger than 25...by a bit.

This is going to be one of the most supremely brutal offenses I've ever seen in my life. But, since I already knew the window was closed during ST of 2023, I'm kind of over it -- and I'm legitimately curious just to see what a defense-only team looks like. How much will the pitching staff actually benefit? Will the dread I feel every time I watch them fail to convert a single baserunner be offset by the confidence I'll learn to feel about how they'll get out of jams?

They're going to lose a lot of games, but they'll be clean ones. It's a sort of interesting experiment. At least on paper. In my head. Kind of.

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

This is going to be one of the most supremely brutal offenses I've ever seen in my life. But, since I already knew the window was closed during ST of 2023, I'm kind of over it -- and I'm legitimately curious just to see what a defense-only team looks like. How much will the pitching staff actually benefit? Will the dread I feel every time I watch them fail to convert a single baserunner be offset by the confidence I'll learn to feel about how they'll get out of jams?

They're going to lose a lot of games, but they'll be clean ones. It's a sort of interesting experiment. At least on paper. In my head. Kind of.

The pessimist that they've drilled into me starting in 2013 says that the pitching won't benefit that much because the pitchers will have to treat every game as being lost if they give up a single run, so every pitch will have to be treated as a max effort pitch and they'll wear out and make mistakes too quick.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Knowing the Sox, all these defensive studs will have career worst years in the field.

joking aside, if the defense is amazing then hopefully Cease gets back to cy young form.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'm with you.

The funny thing is, I only expect our defense to be above average. But to our Sox fan eyes, it will look like a circus of cartwheeling Ozzie Smiths.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The pessimist that they've drilled into me starting in 2013 says that the pitching won't benefit that much because the pitchers will have to treat every game as being lost if they give up a single run, so every pitch will have to be treated as a max effort pitch and they'll wear out and make mistakes too quick.

Yes, and perhaps it will suddenly seem obvious why no other teams are doing this.

The thing is, I do still believe it all to be a ruse. Getz knows he needs a full rebuild, but his assets weren’t in a position to be moved, so he has to stall. And I actually think that, if you’re in a lost year anyway, it might just be a pretty good excuse to jettison as much as possible from a deeply troubled culture and put in some fresh faces to help those aforementioned assets rebound and the prospects develop.

What I’m afraid of is that it may turn out that he’s underestimated the counter-acting negative effect of consistent losing. The feeling that you have no way of influencing a change in that can do dark things to the psyche.