ST Thread

pcq

10 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

We have an owner unwilling to pay for pitching unless a young player is dumb enough to sign a JR special extension. 

When we have a promising young pitcher we need to squeeze every year out of him that we can because if he's any good he will leave in FA. 

A smart FO with such restraints placed on them should operate this way. It's an easy call for a guy who isn't exactly knocking down the door for a promotion. But we know Pedro's M.O. prioritizes winning over development and the org is desperate to win now the cheapest way possible, so here we are.

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Hawk 1

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

A smart FO with such restraints placed on them should operate this way. It's an easy call for a guy who isn't exactly knocking down the door for a promotion. But we know Pedro's M.O. prioritizes winning over development and the org is desperate to win now the cheapest way possible, so here we are.

But there's no path to winning now. It's totally foreclosed.

At absolute best, they could win 70 and even that is highly unlikely, so if Pedro thinks Nastrini will help him save his job he's wrong.

The only reason Pedro wouldn't be fired is JR doesn't want to pay 2 managers at once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

But there's no path to winning now. It's totally foreclosed.

At absolute best, they could win 70 and even that is highly unlikely, so if Pedro thinks Nastrini will help him save his job he's wrong.

The only reason Pedro wouldn't be fired is JR doesn't want to pay 2 managers at once.

There isn't, which makes the way they are operating ever more stupid, and punts the future ever farther down the road. There is no quick fix for the hole they are in, no matter how much shortsighted wishful thinking they engage in.

22 minutes ago, T R U said:

Meh, I agree with him. Nastrini doesn't profile as a "play games with service time kind of guy." And besides, it doesn't matter because if he does become a star we wouldn't be keeping him that long anyways.

The issue with it to me is, as its been said a million times already, he hasn't really earned it. And no, I don't think 14 innings in spring training means a guy who has 4 AAA starts has earned an MLB rotation spot.

I would really hate to see him get bombed in his first couple starts and then sent packing, probably not the best for a kids confidence.

I agree that service time for non-elite prospects shouldn't be a huge concern.  I am not too worried about Nastrini service time one way or the other.  But we're talking about like 3 starts in a rookie season versus potentially 32 starts when Nastrini could be a very good major league pitcher.  When your team is projected to lose 100 games, losing little bits of value around the margins doesn't make a lot of sense to me, personally.  But I am not all up in arms about it either. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree that service time for non-elite prospects shouldn't be a huge concern.  I am not too worried about Nastrini one way or the other.  But we're talking about like 3 starts in a rookie season versus potentially 32 starts when Nastrini could be a very good major league pitcher.  When you're team is projected to lose 100 games, losing little bits of value of the margins doesn't make a lot of sense to me, personally.  But I am not all up in arms about it either. 

You're absolutely right, I don't really understand why they couldn't just throw Toussaint out there for 3 weeks and then drop him for Nastrini.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What in the world are you talking about?  Your need to constantly carry water for this org has you spitting more word vomit than Pedro Grifol.

Laughing at the people who complain about everything, even both sides of a decision, isn't "carrying water". 

1 hour ago, Quin said:

People: Please don't rush the guy with a 4+ ERA at AA and AAA, especially because you'll be losing a year of service time for a notoriously penny pinching owner.

WestEddy: 

They were talking about Nastrini and Mena possibly being ready to be promoted in 2024 last year. If the pitching brain trust of Bannister, Katz and Zaleski think his stuff is ready, why send him to a bandbox in Charlotte to be lit up? 

But the real answer is that a decision hasn't been made, yet. So everybody is pre-emptively complaining about a move that hasn't happened yet. Typical. 

53 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Desperately searching for gotcha moments in defense of this clown org must be so exhausting.

No, laughing at the people doing the preemptive complaining serves me, alone. I'm not sure who I'm defending by laughing. Mirth?

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

They were talking about Nastrini and Mena possibly being ready to be promoted in 2024 last year. If the pitching brain trust of Bannister, Katz and Zaleski think his stuff is ready, why send him to a bandbox in Charlotte to be lit up? 

But the real answer is that a decision hasn't been made, yet. So everybody is pre-emptively complaining about a move that hasn't happened yet. Typical. 

If they were talking about him being ready why were his minor league numbers not better? Do those coaches just not know what they're doing?

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

So he'll get lit up in Charlotte, but is ready for the major leagues. Whatever youre on, I want some.

I say keep him down in Charlotte until his dead arm period is over, then he can be ROY and possibley CY Young. Dude dominated Spring Training. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, T R U said:

Meh, I agree with him. Nastrini doesn't profile as a "play games with service time kind of guy." And besides, it doesn't matter because if he does become a star we wouldn't be keeping him that long anyways.

The issue with it to me is, as its been said a million times already, he hasn't really earned it. And no, I don't think 14 innings in spring training means a guy who has 4 AAA starts has earned an MLB rotation spot.

I would really hate to see him get bombed in his first couple starts and then sent packing, probably not the best for a kids confidence.

When you’re talking about a couple of week, I think it’s fine to leave him down. Plus, we’re not competing so there’s really no urgency to have him on the roster day 1.

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Laughing at the people who complain about everything, even both sides of a decision, isn't "carrying water". 

Most of the decisions people are complaining about deserve the complaints. Not just “complaining about everything.” It’s a really, really dumb organization.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If they were talking about him being ready why were his minor league numbers not better? Do those coaches just not know what they're doing?

Yes, you're correct, Balta. Nobody in the White Sox organization knows what they're doing. Literally. Like, they bring footballs to batting practice. Then they all lay down and cry because some internet guy doesn't submit his resume and take their jobs away because they're all circus clowns. 

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Yes, you're correct, Balta. Nobody in the White Sox organization knows what they're doing. Literally. Like, they bring footballs to batting practice. Then they all lay down and cry because some internet guy doesn't submit his resume and take their jobs away because they're all circus clowns. 

One of the first pictures of Spring Training I saw this year was White sox pitchers throwing around footballs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

No, laughing at the people doing the preemptive complaining serves me, alone. I'm not sure who I'm defending by laughing. Mirth?

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

So, let me get this straight. Now everyone is screaming that the Sox should leave Nastrini off the roster to screw him out of a year's service time. And when they bring him up in a week, are all of the same people going to be posting "The White Sox Way!!" and screaming about how it didn't make sense to leave him off the OD roster? 

2 funny. 

Man what? Are you pre-preemptively complaining about the preemptive complaining? My poor Monday brain can't handle all the layers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree that service time for non-elite prospects shouldn't be a huge concern.  I am not too worried about Nastrini service time one way or the other.  But we're talking about like 3 starts in a rookie season versus potentially 32 starts when Nastrini could be a very good major league pitcher.  When your team is projected to lose 100 games, losing little bits of value around the margins doesn't make a lot of sense to me, personally.  But I am not all up in arms about it either. 

I'm led to believe that Nastrini isn't "elite". He walks too many. He had a nice spring. Small sample size, I know. Noah Schultz? Sure. Kid gloves. If they take a pitcher at #5? Yeah, bring him along slowly and deliberately. I think they have a lot of arms like Nastrini, right behind him. I don't think a rough half will ruin him. 

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

Man what? Are you pre-preemptively complaining about the preemptive complaining? My poor Monday brain can't handle all the layers.

Be careful you don't switch places with your 9 year old self.