Jump to content

Yasmani Grandal to the Pirates


SoxAce
 Share

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

How does Maldonado get $4.25 million?

I think the Pirates want to at least sell to fans they are trying. Seems like $2.5M is a better allocation of limited resources for Pittsburgh than $4.25M to Maldonado for the Sox.

Would rather the Sox have used that money for a viable RF or more bullpen or starters that can improve and be flipped, than dumping Mena for a platoon reserve OFer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I think the Pirates want to at least sell to fans they are trying. Seems like $2.5M is a better allocation of limited resources for Pittsburgh than $4.25M to Maldonado for the Sox.

Would rather the Sox have used that money for a viable RF or more bullpen or starters that can improve and be flipped, than dumping Mena for a platoon reserve OFer.

Both are bad, but Maldonado hasn’t had his complete lower half breakdown on him. Remember, Yaz admitted to not having feeling in his legs at points while running the bases. Maldonado is more likely to have some sort of resurgence for a half than Yaz IMO. Plus there’s a history of pitchers who truly enjoy throwing to him. Can’t say that about Yaz.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Both are bad, but Maldonado hasn’t had his complete lower half breakdown on him. Remember, Yaz admitted to not having feeling in his legs at points while running the bases. Maldonado is more likely to have some sort of resurgence for a half than Yaz IMO. Plus there’s a history of pitchers who truly enjoy throwing to him. Can’t say that about Yaz.

Maldonado hasn’t had a .700 OPS since 126 at bats in 2014. What exactly is a resurgence for him?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pirates are good at these low key signings where they see something that other orgs undervalue or miss. 

I doubt it in this case, but i wonder if there is something they see is Yaz that they think they can get something useful out of him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

The pirates are good at these low key signings where they see something that other orgs undervalue or miss. 

I doubt it in this case, but i wonder if there is something they see is Yaz that they think they can get something useful out of him

Yaz and his agent probably told them his legs feel better than they have in years. He may have a hot stretch in him, but I'd bet a lot of money this will be his last contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yaz and his agent probably told them his legs feel better than they have in years. He may have a hot stretch in him, but I'd bet a lot of money this will be his last contract. 

Maybe. It seems like the Pirates are more data-driven than most orgs. My guess is that if it's a "my legs feel great finally!" conversation, they've got some sort of biomechanical analysis that they've done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I was referring to his defense. Last year graded terrible. I think it’s more likely his defense bounces back than Yaz’s bat.

Playing for one of the three worst teams in baseball versus one of the best at one year older ... and where he might feel he's just as important if not more of a clubhouse leader than Grifol?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...