3/2/24 Game Thread: Chicago White Sox @ Texas Rangers: 2:05 PM CST Radio: ESPN AM 1000

Instead of -gasp- signing or trading for a quality LH bat we get our fourth season of Gavin Sheets?? Not hard to fathom their lowly status. Only the A's and Angels are worse in the AL. 

55 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Colas playing 1B... Interesting.

This would be great if this is a 2024 OD thing, backing up Vaughn. Quero should pick up periodic 1B starts in the minors to add his bat on non catching games.

2024 Starts Before Injuries/Trades/DFAs/Promotions:

• 145 CF Luis Robert Junior (27 R) 135 CF 10 DH
  • 145 3B Yoan Moncada (29 S) 140 3B 5 DH
  • 145 1B Andrew Vaughn (26 R) 135 1B 10 DH
  • 137 DH Eloy Jimenez (27 R) 137 DH
  • 130 LF Andrew Benintendi (30 L) 130 LF
  • 127 RF Oscar Colas (26 L) 100 RF 27 1B
  • 124 INF Lenyn Sosa (24 R) 52 SS; 52 2B; 22 3B
  • 121 OF Dominic Fletcher (27 L) 62 RF; 27 CF; 32 LF
  • 110 SS Paul DeJong (31 R) 110 SS
  • 110 2B Nicky Lopez (29 L) 110  2B
  • 90 C1 Max Stassi (33 R) 90 C
  • 72 C2 Martin Maldonado (38 R) 72 C
  • 0 INF/OF Capable - Mendick or Remillard based on current options. Will get starts as well, between 26/52 (1-2 games per week).

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Instead of -gasp- signing or trading for a quality LH bat we get our fourth season of Gavin Sheets?? Not hard to fathom their lowly status. Only the A's and Angels are worse in the AL. 

Sir, we have Dominic Fletcher

It's early, I know.  But man, looking at this potential roster leaves me asking myself, will we break 100 HRs as a team this year? 

I understand the focus in "catching the ball", and in fact it's a great mask to use when trying to be cheap about constructing a roster. 

But baseball is about hitting HRs, and lots of them.   It's hard to win without them. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Last season, I checked out after May. This season I may very well check out after April. How depressing.

It's the least ownership deserves. The fact that anyone cares is a miracle. 

It's like getting into a cab and the cab drive throws it into reverse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Last season, I checked out after May. This season I may very well check out after April. How depressing.

It's not about what the roster is on opening day it's about what the roster will be on August 1.  You can check out until then.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's not about what the roster is on opening day it's about what the roster will be on August 1.  You can check out until then.  

Opening day:  bad

August 1st:  bad

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • TLR 1

14 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Opening day: Bad

August 1: Worse

Well...theoretically a bevy of 24-26 year old Tier B/C prospects added in flip trades.

And then there's the Cease deal.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

What will happen is they will go like 8-12 to start, and then something will happen like they will win 3 of 4 to get a decent April under their belt. Then they will go like 5-20 in May and when the nicer weather in early summer comes around consistently you'll see 15k at the park and a team losing 2 out of 3 games, even at home, around 8-2. 

It's *just* the White Sox, but I think if that happens it might actually get a little ugly nationwide for JR. Especially if Sox fans get get a viral dig on or two on social media or TV or wherever. That's all we really have as fans until Colson comes up, just hoping to embarrass the owner.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Paper Bag 1

6 hours ago, pcq said:

And at least Trout is an iconic player.

They draw really well regardless.

But signing Rendon was the critical mistake.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Meanwhile, the Rangers with an embarrassment of riches.

Will see the at least two games in the July 22nd -25th Sox massacre in Arlington.

The bright spot from today’s game is that the Tigers did not draft Wyatt Langford. Kid is going to be a monster. Should have gone 1-1.

12 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It's early, I know.  But man, looking at this potential roster leaves me asking myself, will we break 100 HRs as a team this year? 

I understand the focus in "catching the ball", and in fact it's a great mask to use when trying to be cheap about constructing a roster. 

But baseball is about hitting HRs, and lots of them.   It's hard to win without them. 

We have been saying this every year, amazing how the FO refuses to admit it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hi8is said:

But Cease says we’re being slept on :)

Does 'slept on' mean something different in America, because here in the UK we would say they are being 'sh*t on'.

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Opening day:  bad

August 1st:  bad

No kidding dipshit they were a 100 loss team last year.  No one is turning that around overnight but at least after the trade deadline there will a lot of roster turnover and young players worth watching.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No kidding dipshit they were a 100 loss team last year.  No one is turning that around overnight but at least after the trade deadline there will a lot of roster turnover and young players worth watching.

That happens as long at Cease produces a haul of young players in July. If Cease doesn't produce a haul..............................

12 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

That happens as long at Cease produces a haul of young players in July. If Cease doesn't produce a haul..............................

The Cease trade is obviously a big part of it but without that you can still see a lot of young players on this roster in August and September. Montgomery, Quero, Ramos, Nastrini, Eder, Cannon, Leasure, Bush. etc.  They have lots of guys in the upper minors who are more than capable of making the jump to the big leagues.  

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Cease trade is obviously a big part of it but without that you can still see a lot of young players on this roster in August and September. Montgomery, Quero, Ramos, Nastrini, Eder, Cannon, Leasure, Bush. etc.  They have lots of guys in the upper minors who are more than capable of making the jump to the big leagues.  

Quero should almost certainly be no where near the big leagues this year, and several of those guys (Ramos, Montgomery, Cannon, Bush) it would certainly be Rick Hahn type decision making to pencil them in as coming up to the big leagues in August when they haven’t played more than 1/2 a year at AA and few of them were successful there early.

• Paper Bag 1

• Quin unpinned this topic