Can the Sox field a competitive team in 2025? Or is 2026 or beyond a better target?

2026 seems more realistic since I have to imagine that improvement to the team will come via its young players improving or trading for young players who will hopefully improve. The White Sox could be a good team in 2026 if Lee, Quero, Montgomery, Ramos, Colas, Vaughn actually turn into good baseball players, if 3 or 4 of these young pitchers become starter quality, and if Cease returns 2 to 3 very good players, ideally a middle infielder and a corner outfielder. A lot to ask for but not totally outside the realm of possibility. Maybe we sign Juan Soto tho, I dunno...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nrockway said:

2026 seems more realistic since I have to imagine that improvement to the team will come via its young players improving or trading for young players who will hopefully improve. The White Sox could be a good team in 2026 if Lee, Quero, Montgomery, Ramos, Colas, Vaughn actually turn into good baseball players, if 3 or 4 of these young pitchers become starter quality, and if Cease returns 2 to 3 very good players, ideally a middle infielder and a corner outfielder. A lot to ask for but not totally outside the realm of possibility. Maybe we sign Juan Soto tho, I dunno...

The Sox have less than $38M committed to their 2025 roster.  Even if Cease and Eloy are somehow on the 25 roster (chances of both are out 0%, I'd imagine), its still sub $70M.  Unless JR is going full out A's-mode, they're going to have to sign some legitimate free agents next offseason. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox have less than $38M committed to their 2025 roster.  Even if Cease and Eloy are somehow on the 25 roster (chances of both are out 0%, I'd imagine), its still sub $70M.  Unless JR is going full out A's-mode, they're going to have to sign some legitimate free agents next offseason. 

True. Hopefully someone like Kim or Torres or even Alonso and not 3 or 4 35-year-old relievers 

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We can't forget about their propensity for overpaying mediocre FA. No one really knows yet how much leeway Getz will have compared to his predecessors. Yes they will likely spend some money, but how that gets allocated or how well that gets allocated is another story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not trying to be the negative guy, but I have zero confidence in this front office and coaching staff. In my eyes to even have a playoff caliber season by 2027, we are going to have to see major changes made, and most importantly, they have to make the right changes. Now look back at how many "right changes" this organization has made in the last 5 to 10 years. 

Makes it kind of hard to be positive, but hope they prove me wrong

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Who is managing the team?

I’m thinking Charlie Montoyo would be manager for any in season change. He managed Charlotte when they were with the Rays, then served as the Rays Third Base Coach before managing the Blue Jays. Think it would be worth giving him an open audition to become the permanent manager over the next two seasons. 

It’s a shame Joe Estrada passed on the job, though can’t blame him with the Astros job lined up.

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

We never get “legitimate” free agents.  If they do spend, it will be more of the same.  A bunch of money spread out amongst crappy players.  Overpaying more guys like Nicky Lopez and Maldonado.

5 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

We can't forget about their propensity for overpaying mediocre FA. No one really knows yet how much leeway Getz will have compared to his predecessors. Yes they will likely spend some money, but how that gets allocated or how well that gets allocated is another story. 

I didn’t see this post until I already made mine, but you read my mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’m thinking Charlie Montoyo would be manager for any in season change. He managed Charlotte when they were with the Rays, then served as the Rays Third Base Coach before managing the Blue Jays. Think it would be worth giving him an open audition to become the permanent manager over the next two seasons. 

It’s a shame Joe Estrada passed on the job, though can’t blame him with the Astros job lined up.

It still seems unlikely to me that Grifol isn't here in 2025.

Just in general - let's say that the White Sox win 55 games in 2024. Do we fire the manager over the lack of performance? Naw, the team wasn't very good and we knew that. How do you give a guy an evaluation that is negative enough to fire them when you can't really use wins and losses? If they win 68 games, they over performed! What a credit to the manager that must have been.

I suppose that they might have to do so just from fan frustration, but that hasn't made them do things in the past.

The only obvious way I've got where Grifol might be replaced is LaRussa wants to come back.

• TLR 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just in general - let's say that the White Sox win 55 games in 2024. Do we fire the manager over the lack of performance? Naw, the team wasn't very good and we knew that. How do you give a guy an evaluation that is negative enough to fire them when you can't really use wins and losses? If they win 68 games, they over performed! What a credit to the manager that must have been.

I suppose that they might have to do so just from fan frustration, but that hasn't made them do things in the past.

The only obvious way I've got where Grifol might be replaced is LaRussa wants to come back.

This is like hell on earth.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Based on the wildness of the Blue Jays clubhouse when he was the manager, I don’t want him to be the permanent guy for the Sox

Not sure who will develop all the amazing young talent. Chris Getz is just treading water until he can think of something brilliant. I do not see a blueprint for success. 

The Pillar article about the sorry state of things last year was brutal. Yet here he is on a make it or break it deal. 

19 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

In reality, taking a playoff aspirations club and winning 61 games should have gotten you fired. Coming back the next season and winning 55 games should without a doubt get you fired. Even winning 68 games, should get you fired.

In White Sox land, where there is no accountability and the leash is miles long, you are probably right. He will most likely be here next season as well, if nothing more than JR saving himself from paying two managers at once.

• Like 3
  • Paper Bag 1

On 3/4/2024 at 2:30 PM, Slayer12 said:

Not trying to be the negative guy, but I have zero confidence in this front office and coaching staff. In my eyes to even have a playoff caliber season by 2027, we are going to have to see major changes made, and most importantly, they have to make the right changes. Now look back at how many "right changes" this organization has made in the last 5 to 10 years. 

Makes it kind of hard to be positive, but hope they prove me wrong

The future of this team has never looked this bleak in my opinion. Should be interesting. Who's looking good for the Sox in spring training so far? Anybody looking like a player?

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think Pedro has to be better than last year, not just by wins, or he's going to be the scapegoat for a team that refuses to say they are rebuilding. He's talking like they are headed to World Series. 90 loses and they can't bring him back, especially considering most of the roster is one and done. 

• Like 2

The White Sox need a manager who can optimize guys by putting them in positions to succeed, and someone who can develop players.

Grifol refuses to use players to the best of their abilities, and he is on the record as saying that he has no interest in development. He has to go.

If there’s anything he succeeds at it, it’s his ability to fellate his bosses and kiss their asses.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T R U said:

In reality, taking a playoff aspirations club and winning 61 games should have gotten you fired. Coming back the next season and winning 55 games should without a doubt get you fired. Even winning 68 games, should get you fired.

In White Sox land, where there is no accountability and the leash is miles long, you are probably right. He will most likely be here next season as well, if nothing more than JR saving himself from paying two managers at once.

Are you talking about 2023 when you say playoff aspirations?  I mean have billionaire aspirations, but no actual ability to do it.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I think Pedro has to be better than last year, not just by wins, or he's going to be the scapegoat for a team that refuses to say they are rebuilding. He's talking like they are headed to World Series. 90 loses and they can't bring him back, especially considering most of the roster is one and done. 

Pedro is a slug. He is about a solid minus 5 WAR at least. 

I am against the tank and rebuild cycle. It wreaks havoc on the fan base and many times it just doesn't work. Also, not that excited by the wealthiest owners trying to buy championships with mega player contracts. Maybe the best way for the mlb is some form of salary cap arrangement so that fans of every team stay involved and every team shows up to compete in every game.

4 minutes ago, tray said:

I am against the tank and rebuild cycle. It wreaks havoc on the fan base and many times it just doesn't work. Also, not that excited by the wealthiest owners trying to buy championships with mega player contracts. Maybe the best way for the mlb is some form of salary cap arrangement so that fans of every team stay involved and every team shows up to compete in every game.

After all, no teams tank in the NBA thanks to their salary cap. 

1 hour ago, tray said:

If there was no tanking, that means the White Sox would have kept Giolito with an extension, for example.

I'm not even sure what players from 2023 that are no longer on the roster that you could make an argument for retaining/extending.

Which would have meant KC Royals-esque FA 2023-24 spending, but that might still get you a .500 team, AT BEST.

Would you extend Moncada, for example?  

We can all argue for keeping Cease with an extension, but for how much and how many years?

And what's the result with Dylan on this team for 2024 vs. acquiring two Top 100 prospects for the next competitive team?

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

After all, no teams tank in the NBA thanks to their salary cap. 

OK, but that not the best analogy. Different dynamic at play, i.e., the amount of starting players and the degree to which superstar talent impacts teams in the NBA.

Anyway, something should be done to foster some degree of parity in mlb and frankly I don't know what the answer is.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 2:02 PM, nrockway said:

Sarcasm?  Or do you think the Sox have a chance at signing Juan Soto, a Boras client, when he hits free agency in 2025 at the age of 27?  You have a better chance of winning the lottery.

5 hours ago, tray said:

I know it is a radical solution but could the AL and NL have 2 divisions each? With only the top division in each being eligable for the playoffs. Then you could have promotion and relegation between the divisions, and even a relegation playoff. I know relegation and promotion are not a popular concept in American sports, but as a Brit it keeps things interesting in football (soccer), especially as teams want to avoid relegation. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, tray said:

You mean teams signing good players?

• Thanks 1