White Sox showing interest in Michael Lorenzen reports Ken Rosenthal

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/white-sox-showing-interest-in-michael-lorenzen.html

Assessment of Michael Lorenzen

It’s not clear if the Sox’s interest in Lorenzen is strictly contingent on a Cease trade. Yet dealing their projected Opening Day starter would leave Chicago looking for innings, if nothing else....

Lorenzen earned an All-Star nod with Detroit. He pitched to a 3.58 ERA through 18 starts as a Tiger before being dealt to Philadelphia at the deadline. His first two outings as a Phillie were brilliant, highlighted by a no-hitter against the Nationals on August 9. After that point, he was among the least effective pitchers in the majors. Lorenzen allowed an 8.01 ERA over his last nine appearances. The Phils kicked him to relief and only called upon him twice in the postseason.

It’s possible he wore down as he neared the end of his first full, healthy season as a starting pitcher....

The poor finish has apparently held up his market. Rosenthal reported last week that Lorenzen continued to hold out in search of a two-year contract. He has played the past two seasons on successive one-year guarantees valued at $6.75MM and $8.5MM, respectively. Cease is slated for an $8MM salary for the upcoming season. If signing Lorenzen were conditional on a Cease trade, it’d probably be around neutral from a financial perspective — particularly if Lorenzen does move off his ask for a two-year pact.

Assessment of current White Sox Rotation

KBO returnee Erick Fedde will occupy a spot in the rotation. The Sox will probably give a rebound opportunity to Michael Kopech, who allowed a 5.43 ERA over 30 appearances last season.

Michael Soroka hasn’t logged an MLB rotation workload in five years, largely on account of two Achilles tears. Chris Flexen allowed 6.86 earned runs per nine a year ago. Jared Shuster had an ERA approaching 6.00 over his first 11 big league starts. Touki Toussaint is better suited for a relief role. Rule 5 pick Shane Drohan will start the year on the injured list, while depth starter Jesse Scholtens underwent Tommy John surgery last month. Garrett Crochet is battling for a rotation spot but would be on an innings limit if he secures a starting job.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I was wondering when they were going to find a replacement for Scholtens. 

He will also replace Gavin Sheets as starting Right Fielder when he isn't pitching. :cool:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lorenmi01.shtml

A poor owner's Ohtani, if you will/

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

Would you rather see them get creative and sign Montgomery to a similarly structured deal to what Bellinger and Chapman signed to replace Cease to have potentially have a left-handed starter to deal at the deadline? He doesn't cost a draft pick either, not that Lorenzen does, which is why I wouldn't consider this idea with Snell.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

17 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Would you rather see them get creative and sign Montgomery to a similarly structured deal to what Bellinger and Chapman signed to replace Cease to have potentially have a left-handed starter to deal at the deadline? He doesn't cost a draft pick either, not that Lorenzen does, which is why I wouldn't consider this idea with Snell.

Are we talking about losing a draft pick?  Because my interest in that is zero.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are we talking about losing a draft pick?  Because my interest in that is zero.

You wouldn’t lose one, no.

Montgomery was traded last year so didn’t qualify for a QO. As explained above, that’s why I didn’t consider this idea for Snell.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

You wouldn’t lose one, no.

Montgomery was traded last year, so he’s still eligible for a qualifying offer if a team signs him and doesn’t trade him during the year.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Right. He’s referring to losing a draft pick now.

Yes, I was adding onto yours. Not only no QO right now so no owed compensation now, but also still could be offered one at the end of this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Why?

May as well have a decent starter to eat the innings that Cease won’t be, and they can trade Lorenzen for a prospect at the deadline if he has a good first half like last season.  Would you rather JR bank Cease’s $8 million once it is cleared off of the Sox payroll?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I was just about to come here and say it makes perfect sense now. At least spend a LITTLE money  you just saved on Cease.  Thanks to James for the scoop.

Now that he’s probably the third best starter left after Snell and Montgomery, with Cease traded, and a much cheaper option than the other two free agents, he’s probably trying to see the max dollars he can get on a 1-2 year contract with the other teams that need a starter (Yankees, Rangers, Giants).

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Now that we rid ourselves of dead weight I think we could make playoffs if we sign snell Montgomery and Lorenzen

Did the White Sox get relegated last night  and nobody told us? /green