White Sox bring Mike Clevinger back, pending physical

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Do you mean Sheets? There are 3 AAA relievers on the 40-man. The only other fat I could see getting trimmed, at this point, is Jared Schuster. 

Jesus christ why do I have james shields (james shields) on my mind this morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Guessing this was the move to make room for Clevinger

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He won't make it through.

And this is how having so many NRIs can bite you. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Which proves my point. Getz is responsible for the failures, but not the successes. 

A guy like Seby Zavala went from a college bat who incidentally caught, to a defense-first back-up pro catcher. His defense was developed in our system. Tanner Banks sucks? Dude, I get that there's a bunch of people here who hate Reinsdorf, and therefore, everything about this organization is bad, wrong, catastrophic. 

And trading Mena doesn't erase his development. I have nothing to do with Chris Getz. It is possible for people outside of the echo chamber to look at this team objectively, and see some positives. 

No one cares about Seby Zavala.  He sucked and still sucks.  Expectations are higher than developing a guy like Seby.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

We really need the old fucks to be able to compete

Yep, they are so disposable and replaceable.  The only team that has shown interest in Shaw the last two seasons has been the Sox.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I would like to see some guy not drafted in the first round, become a player who, if you team was actually good, you would expect to help win games. Where are these guys? You give the guy credit for Mena, yet he traded him before he ever played an MLB game. Nothing is ever on him.

So would I. Getz just took over in August. We've already seen a change in focus internationally, where we're not hanging onto money till the end of the signing period, waiting for a Cuban to defect. I would also like to see an end of punting picks 3-10 to save money for some high school kid in the 18th round. 

As far as Mena, pick a lane. Either he was a good arm who rose through the system, or he was hot garbage who wasn't developed. Trading prospects to fill holes in other areas is one use of prospects. 

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No one cares about Seby Zavala.  He sucked and still sucks.  Expectations are higher than developing a guy like Seby.

Other teams care about Seby Zavala. That's why he's on Seattle's MLB roster. Of course expectations are higher. And you have your future shortstop at AAA waiting for DeJong to go 0-29 over the course of a week for the passing of the baton. Your future 3B is at AA right now. Both will probably see playing time this season. 

I get being tired of this team. That doesn't mean we get to make up our own reality. 

26 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Why the f*** would you cut any prospect with a pulse rather than just DFA Shields or one of the billion relievers? Doesn't make any sense bro. 

This.  I wouldn't have traded Rodriguez for Clevinger straight up, but that is what we effectively just did.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

On Soxtalk, Mena is somehow simultaneously a future stud who will haunt us and also an example of the organization's failures to develop talent.  

Schrodinger's Sox prospect. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

On Soxtalk, Mena is somehow simultaneously a future stud who will haunt us and also an example of the organization's failures to develop talent.  

He can be both because the main knock on him was that his fastball wasn't MLB quality. He got traded and immediately went from 90-92 to mid 90s. 

Those of us who didn't like the deal acknowledged his flaws with the Sox but also knew that a competent organization would help him find the velocity that the Sox couldn't. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Quin said:

I made a long list of success and failures and you clammed up faster than Hawk when things went south in his final years as a broadcaster.

Yeah, he gets the good and bad. It's just the fact that there's a lot more bad.

Yes, Madrigal, Vaughn, Crochet and Fulmer were all rushed. Colas. Boy, it's a good thing the people who made those decisions aren't with the organization anymore. 

To yell that Getz is part of the same FO, and is exactly like Hahn is silly. He was minor league director for 3-4 seasons. 

Weird that y'all get to argue that the entire system sucks and we really only have one minor league prospect in Montgomery, but at the same time, scream every time a future utility infielder who can't take a walk is DFAed. Everybody sucks, but we can't let one of the sucky guys go, because then we'll have zero sucky guys!!

Oh, and if we're discussing successes and failures, Getz just took an often injured reliever and turned him into a staff ace. Success. 

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

So would I. Getz just took over in August. We've already seen a change in focus internationally, where we're not hanging onto money till the end of the signing period, waiting for a Cuban to defect. I would also like to see an end of punting picks 3-10 to save money for some high school kid in the 18th round. 

As far as Mena, pick a lane. Either he was a good arm who rose through the system, or he was hot garbage who wasn't developed. Trading prospects to fill holes in other areas is one use of prospects. 

Getz took over as GM in August 2023.  What about when he was Director of Player Development from 2017 to 2020 and Assistant GM from 2021 to 2023?  I don’t see much returns for his 6 to 7 years of work before he was named GM.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What was the deal with Jose? Was he injured or were there off the field personal issues occurring? He was optioned to AAA a month ago and had yet to appear in a AAA game this season. Seems like there’s more to this story.

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Supposedly away attending to a family matter.

Maybe this will help him pass through?

4 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

He can be both because the main knock on him was that his fastball wasn't MLB quality. He got traded and immediately went from 90-92 to mid 90s. 

Those of us who didn't like the deal acknowledged his flaws with the Sox but also knew that a competent organization would help him find the velocity that the Sox couldn't. 

And a competent organization knows when to trade a pitcher at the top of his value to fill holes elsewhere on the roster. 

I don't remember much acknowledging of his shortcomings during that back-and-forth. In Mena's 3/31 start, he threw one pitch that hit 94 mph. He mostly topped out 91-92. His fastball didn't jump to the "mid-90's". The team he beat was the Oakland A's AAA club. Nobody on that team is top 100. 

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz took over as GM in August 2023.  What about when he was Director of Player Development from 2017 to 2020 and Assistant GM from 2021 to 2023?  I don’t see much returns for his 6 years of work before he was named GM.

Can you tell us what Getz's duties were as director of player development, and how he failed? Examples, please. And then tell us what his duties were as Assistant GM, and which ones of those he failed. Seems like KW and Rick Hahn were making the decisions, then. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Yes, Madrigal, Vaughn, Crochet and Fulmer were all rushed. Colas. Boy, it's a good thing the people who made those decisions aren't with the organization anymore. 

To yell that Getz is part of the same FO, and is exactly like Hahn is silly. He was minor league director for 3-4 seasons. 

Weird that y'all get to argue that the entire system sucks and we really only have one minor league prospect in Montgomery, but at the same time, scream every time a future utility infielder who can't take a walk is DFAed. Everybody sucks, but we can't let one of the sucky guys go, because then we'll have zero sucky guys!!

Oh, and if we're discussing successes and failures, Getz just took an often injured reliever and turned him into a staff ace. Success. 

He's made two starts, I think it is a bit early to be declaring he's an "ace" of any kind yet.

He may turn out to be but with very little track record it is hard to say. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Can you tell us what Getz's duties were as director of player development, and how he failed? Examples, please. And then tell us what his duties were as Assistant GM, and which ones of those he failed. Seems like KW and Rick Hahn were making the decisions, then. 

download (20).jpg

• Haha 5
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

download (20).jpg

Oh, then I'm sure you would have some examples where his decisions resulted in prospects not developing properly. Just repeating the same canard on different gif memes isn't really an argument. It's lazy. 

People who report on teams' minor league systems have written that the White Sox actually grew into an organization that develops catchers, and Keith Law cited the Sox as finally being able to develop hitters. This all happened on Chris Getz's timeclock. 

I get not liking the hire. I get not wanting anyone with any connection to the organization to be GM, and cleaning house. That is all perfectly reasonable. But to keep trotting out the same tired BS of "I haven't seen any successes" in an entry level position isn't really convincing. 

I'm not arguing that Getz is great, good, or even competent. But it gets tiresome having to pretend that every single move this team makes is tragically horrible, and then we all whine that we can no longer be White Sox fans because we're dead inside.