Under what scenario would you consider offering Crochet and/or Kopech extensions?

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Be prepared for attendance numbers in the four digits, then.

12,300 tonight.

That puts their season ticket base in the 11-12,000 range, SOMEWHERE.

Unless there were an inordinate amount of single game buying AND especially determined Braves' fans in attendance...despite the miserable weather.

Nobody is making the decision to come to a game based on whether Crochet, and especially Kopech, are on the roster.

Kopech doesn't even make the team more competitive.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd probably look to deal both guys (assuming they have had good seasons relatively) this deadline. Their arms have had a lot of usage and injuries already and although I'd wish both guys well and another thousand MLB innings each -- I just don't see it. 

It's a good problem to have if it happens. Crochet is clearly on another level he could really get a haul if he's having a '22 Cease like season.

All of the arguments on this site have been that Crochet has NOT had a lot of usage, even in college. 

I'd see how Crochet looks in June, and try to wrap him up for 5 more years after the 3 we currently control him. Starting works for him, he was open to giving up an extra year of control just gambling on himself. Dude's a White Sock. 

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

All of the arguments on this site have been that Crochet has NOT had a lot of usage, even in college. 

I'd see how Crochet looks in June, and try to wrap him up for 5 more years after the 3 we currently control him. Starting works for him, he was open to giving up an extra year of control just gambling on himself. Dude's a White Sock. 

I'd like it to happen but it just seems unlikely given ownership and overall roster quality.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why are we thinking extensions right now exactly ?

As an exercise in roster building in Getz's shoes and also because there eventually has to be a core or foundation.

It's certainly not going to be adding today's equivalent of Theo adding Jon Lester.

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

As an exercise in roster building in Getz's shoes and also because there eventually has to be a core or foundation.

It's certainly not going to be adding today's equivalent of Theo adding Jon Lester.

And, beyond Noah Schultz, nobody looks like a difference maker outside of Crochet. I am on the side of thinking that Dylan Cease, while a great pitcher, at times, was not an "ace". I think Crochet could be. 

This is a depressing thread realizing the Sox can't sign anybody who is any good, apparently cause there is no money or JR won't ever spend money.

If you get rid of all your moderately good players, our team will be in tank/rebuild mode forever. At some point the Sox need to return to the days they had obvious big leaguers on the team. 

Frankly if the Sox can't realistically build a winner cause of $$ I wish they'd fricking sell the team or move the team.

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If you get rid of all your moderately good players, our team will be in tank/rebuild mode forever. 

This right here. This fanbase has such ptsd that the moment a player like Crochet actually becomes successful and lives up to his potential the immediate thought is "gotta trade him." It's gross and a never ending cycle of crap. I know the constraints of this organization but just stop. Let's hold onto our nice toys sometimes. 

Honestly imagine if we had kept Cease, and he and Crochet had great seasons. This team might have generated a little excitement. 

Edited by TheBooneLoganEra
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I think we too often get ahead of ourselves like name the starting lineup in 2026. I just never understand the point.

I know there is big picture thinking involved but Crochet has started 2 games and has an extensive injury history. We're a long way from an exercise in roster building.

1 hour ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

This right here. This fanbase has such ptsd that the moment a player like Crochet actually becomes successful and lives up to his potential the immediate thought is "gotta trade him." It's gross and a never ending cycle of crap. I know the constraints of this organization but just stop. Let's hold onto our nice toys sometimes. 

Honestly imagine if we had kept Cease, and he and Crochet had great seasons. This team might have generated a little excitement. 

Why do you blame Sox fans for this?  Sox fans think this way because it is our reality.  You called it “constraints of the organization” but it’s a repeated strategy throughout the years due to one man.

How many good pitchers do the Sox acquire and/or develop and ultimately trade away rather than re-sign once they hit free agency?  The owner simply won’t pay for these guys on the free agent market, so until there is a new owner, it really doesn’t matter if you want to hang onto your nice toys or not.

So unless Crochet wants to sign a very cheap hometown discounted extension, he will be the next good pitcher that you can start the countdown to being traded away, just like we did with Cease last year.

“Honestly imagine if we had kept Cease…”

No, I won’t imagine because it was never going to happen with this ownership.  Everyone and their grandma knew Cease was gone.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

That's what I was thinking about Cease. Sox would have 2 good starters which is a start. Now we just got one and we suck. The Cease trade was a joke. Didn't the Sox get one decent outfield prospect in that one?

23 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That's what I was thinking about Cease. Sox would have 2 good starters which is a start. Now we just got one and we suck. The Cease trade was a joke. Didn't the Sox get one decent outfield prospect in that one?

Yeah, an A level (potentially CFer) prospect, very toolsy, surprisingly good eye and strong OBP compared to what we normally see in young/raw Sox prospects...many are speculating he will be considered the "jewel" of the trade 2-3 years from now.  BIggest questions are how much power he will hit for and whether he can stick in CF as he gets older and puts on weight/muscle over time.

7 hours ago, WestEddy said:

So you’re talking about a seven year extension?

9 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd probably look to deal both guys (assuming they have had good seasons relatively) this deadline. Their arms have had a lot of usage and injuries already and although I'd wish both guys well and another thousand MLB innings each -- I just don't see it. 

It's a good problem to have if it happens. Crochet is clearly on another level he could really get a haul if he's having a '22 Cease like season.

I actually like crochet a ton because his arm doesn't have a lot of wear and tear or volume. If he can stay healthy he might have a lot of bullets left. Similar to someone like wheeler, not terrible to get hurt a bunch in your early 20s if you can find some health.

7 hours ago, WestEddy said:

And, beyond Noah Schultz, nobody looks like a difference maker outside of Crochet. I am on the side of thinking that Dylan Cease, while a great pitcher, at times, was not an "ace". I think Crochet could be. 

I think Cease is a low level ace by today’s standards and much of that is tied to his durability. Crochet has the stuff to be a high level ace (top 5 mlb SP) but he still has a lot to prove from a durability perspective. The guy has a career 2.51 ERA in MLB so he has no trouble getting mlb hitters out but he has yet to throw 100 total innings and this is his 5th season in mlb. If he can stay healthy, the sky is the limit because he’s got stuff equivalent or better than peak degrom when he’s throwing strikes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wegner said:

Under the scenario of a new owner

Jerry's plans along this line are key to all these extension questions.  Ten-year extensions can muck up a deal if the plan is to sell.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Why do you blame Sox fans for this?  Sox fans think this way because it is our reality.  You called it “constraints of the organization” but it’s a repeated strategy throughout the years due to one man.

How many good pitchers do the Sox acquire and/or develop and ultimately trade away rather than re-sign once they hit free agency?  The owner simply won’t pay for these guys on the free agent market, so until there is a new owner, it really doesn’t matter if you want to hang onto your nice toys or not.

So unless Crochet wants to sign a very cheap hometown discounted extension, he will be the next good pitcher that you can start the countdown to being traded away, just like we did with Cease last year.

“Honestly imagine if we had kept Cease…”

No, I won’t imagine because it was never going to happen with this ownership.  Everyone and their grandma knew Cease was gone.

I didn't blame sox fans. The ptsd is the result of ownership. What I'm saying is the franchise is broken and so is the fanbase through no fault of our own. I for one am not gonna sit here, watch Crochet pitch like an ace, and immediately fantasize about trading him. I'm done with that. And I wish our fanbase would be done with that too. That group think makes it okay for the front office to go that direction yet again and it shouldn't be. We should make it hard for them. 

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Trade Crochet if you get both a great offer and no extension that doesn’t buy out at least 2-3 years of free agency.

Think he would take something similar to the Bunmer extension?

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/white-sox-lock-up-aaron-bummer-with-record-five-year-extension/381642/?amp=1

I will say that I’d seriously consider a Crochet extension if he can keep this up for a couple of months.  The reality is we can’t go out and buy an ace with Jerry in charge and even if Crochet is only healthy 70% of a season, there is still likely a price point that works for both sides.  But you have to be confident that he can provide at least 20 to 25 starts a season to even consider it.