Jake Burger

A tale of 2 Jakes.

I'm quite frankly sick and tired of people claiming that Eder was the type of arm you go and take a chance on....we will probably never see that guy pitch in Chicago.

That trade absolutely sucked ass!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Please. Let's not get carried away. Our team has 11. Jake only has 10.

To paraphrase Jim Carr in Slap Shot, "we don't want to make this any harder for them than it already is."

Kenny should go to the box and feel shame for this trade.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

How does that take anything away from Burger?

Hated that trade. I thought all the bros here on Soxtalk who loved it had their minds made up about Burger being a low OBP low batting avg , poor fielder.

I thought he was very close to being a good hitter. His hard hit rate was near top of the AL and he just had a month where he walked 11 times.

Hard to know if the Marlins made any immediate suggestions to increase contact but he immediately produces for them. Either just really bad timing by the Sox or a development failure. However Burger had always been focused on using the technology available to him .

Ozzie Guillen always poked fun at it in the post game shows but it's easier for dinosaurs to poke fun than it is to say anything that helps is a good thing.

I'm not here to crow, maybe Eder can become something but trading away much needed power  and hard hit rate from a major leaguer with plenty of control for a pitcher who was coming off major arm surgery with very few innings under his belt seemed like longshot at the time.

Time will tell on the trade just as it will on Fletcher /Mena.

Debates will rage on but nothing is etched in stone now .

42 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hated that trade. I thought all the bros here on Soxtalk who loved it had their minds made up about Burger being a low OBP low batting avg , poor fielder.

I thought he was very close to being a good hitter. His hard hit rate was near top of the AL and he just had a month where he walked 11 times.

Hard to know if the Marlins made any immediate suggestions to increase contact but he immediately produces for them. Either just really bad timing by the Sox or a development failure. However Burger had always been focused on using the technology available to him .

Ozzie Guillen always poked fun at it in the post game shows but it's easier for dinosaurs to poke fun than it is to say anything that helps is a good thing.

I'm not here to crow, maybe Eder can become something but trading away much needed power  and hard hit rate from a major leaguer with plenty of control for a pitcher who was coming off major arm surgery with very few innings under his belt seemed like longshot at the time.

Time will tell on the trade just as it will on Fletcher /Mena.

Debates will rage on but nothing is etched in stone now .

Especially when you knew Yoan had one full season left on this club. 

• Like 1

I’m a little confused, am I mistaken by comments made by Getz and Grifol that they think they have a team that can compete this year. If that is the case then I have no confidence at all with Getz going forward, never had any confidence in Grifol, he’s a joke. 
I might have got carried away with my comments about the Burger trade being the worst in Sox history because I’m as pissed off as ever with the state of things with the franchise, anyway the Burger trade though not the worst was still a bad trade.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I’m a little confused, am I mistaken by comments made by Getz and Grifol that they think they have a team that can compete this year. If that is the case then I have no confidence at all with Getz going forward, never had any confidence in Grifol, he’s a joke. 
I might have got carried away with my comments about the Burger trade being the worst in Sox history because I’m as pissed off as ever with the state of things with the franchise, anyway the Burger trade though not the worst was still a bad trade.

If Eder has a bad year, which is certainly possible, your opinion of the trade will get worse.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just because everyone likes to point out when former Sox do well with their new team, especially Burger.  After getting out of the gate quickly Burger is down to an 86 wRC+ (.228/.281/.421) and quickly fell back to 0 fWAR. He has started as many games at 1B as 3B, and is now on the IL with another core/oblique injury.

I wish Jake well, but will again repeat that he's not a guy that is going to haunt the Sox long term. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Still wish he was our 1B (position change of course) over Vaughn 

Ehh. I'd still roll with the AV, but he's certainly earned the skepticism lately. 

• Haha 1

He is a very limited bat only player whose bat doesn't outweigh the rest of his game enough to be sad over.  People can grind on the return for Burger all they want, but taking a shot at a potential front line pitcher isn't the worst approach to a deal like this.  Obviously the injury and slow recovery from it has soured people on Eder, but the thought process behind this deal was decent.  I do think Burger gets overrated just because of how bad everyone else has been.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He is a very limited bat only player whose bat doesn't outweigh the rest of his game enough to be sad over.  People can grind on the return for Burger all they want, but taking a shot at a potential front line pitcher isn't the worst approach to a deal like this.  Obviously the injury and slow recovery from it has soured people on Eder, but the thought process behind this deal was decent.  I do think Burger gets overrated just because of how bad everyone else has been.

Jake just seems like such a likeable guy. The kind you could sit down with and have a beer. The world needs more like him, Mark B and Mark Grace to name a few

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ehh. I'd still roll with the AV, but he's certainly earned the skepticism lately. 

20/20 hindsight - I'd like to be seeing Burger at 3B right now, and Sosa at 2B. But then, I'd still trade Burger in July, probably for the equivalent of Jake Eder. 

We sold high, bought low. Eder has a chance to be a step above all of the Nastrini/Cannon/Martin/Burke/Bush tier of pitcher. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are you sure about that? There are rumors out there that dumb and dumbere, er I mean Rick and Kenny, were not even in communication with each other on this trade. 

Eder is currently sporting an era over 7 at AA. Burger has proven he is a legit power bat at the major league level. Sorry, but it was a teriible trade. 

4 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Jake just seems like such a likeable guy. The kind you could sit down with and have a beer. The world needs more like him, Mark B and Mark Grace to name a few

I agree and I love rooting for a guy who's from Illinois (or might as well be) but I echo the sentiment that the other Jake's potential is tantalizing even if he hasn't looked so amazing, while likeable Jake is who he is, an oft-injured first baseman who can really hit the ball. He'll be way better than 86 WRC+ by the end of the season if he plays enough games; he'll just give up as many runs on defense at third as he scores. The Marlins strategy of getting a bunch of infielders who can't play defense because they expect their pitchers to strike everybody out has been a hilarious failure. Also confused about why Jazz is playing center field instead of SS, like why'd they sign Tim Anderson?

1 minute ago, KipWellsFan said:

Eder has pitched less than 9 innings and Jake Burger's sample size is also super small. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

That's why I don't like how ubiquitous minor league coverage has become. A lot of these guys are coming back from injury, unlearning bad habits, switching positions, whatever, all while stepping up a level in difficulty. It's great when a prospect aces an entire level of the minor leagues. I don't think the Sox will have the luxury of letting a guy stay at a level he dominates for a season because he's blocked at AAA, and those guys are blocked in the majors. 

1 minute ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Are you sure about that? There are rumors out there that dumb and dumbere, er I mean Rick and Kenny, were not even in communication with each other on this trade. 

Eder is currently sporting an era over 7 at AA. Burger has proven he is a legit power bat at the major league level. Sorry, but it was a teriible trade. 

If we are talking about what the process of the trade was, most of this is not relevant.  The point was to get someone who could actually help the franchise when it was good again, not to waste three more years with a DH.  Eder was a top left handed starting pitching prospect before his Tommy John.  Obviously if he had recovered quickly and not suffered a subsequent injury on his road back to the mound, he wouldn't have been available for a mediocre bat only DH.  That's the thought process behind the trade.  Take a chance on getting him healthy and back on the mound on a regular basis again to see if he rounds back into the form that made him a borderline top 100 guy.  With his second injury he never went through the ramp up process of getting his strength and conditioning back post TJS, which was obvious with his still recovering velocity during the fall league.  If you want to be hung up on his ERA in 8 innings of 2024, but not Burger's 88 OPS for 64 PAs, as some kind of disqualifying rational for why you don't make the trade last year, feel free to engage in your circular logic all you like.  The bottom line is the kid has thrown 56 innings since the end of 2021.  I suspect he is a guy who will get better as the season wears on as he gets back into condition to start.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If we are talking about what the process of the trade was, most of this is not relevant.  The point was to get someone who could actually help the franchise when it was good again, not to waste three more years with a DH.  Eder was a top left handed starting pitching prospect before his Tommy John.  Obviously if he had recovered quickly and not suffered a subsequent injury on his road back to the mound, he wouldn't have been available for a mediocre bat only DH.  That's the thought process behind the trade.  Take a chance on getting him healthy and back on the mound on a regular basis again to see if he rounds back into the form that made him a borderline top 100 guy.  With his second injury he never went through the ramp up process of getting his strength and conditioning back post TJS, which was obvious with his still recovering velocity during the fall league.  If you want to be hung up on his ERA in 8 innings of 2024, but not Burger's 88 OPS for 64 PAs, as some kind of disqualifying rational for why you don't make the trade last year, feel free to engage in your circular logic all you like.  The bottom line is the kid has thrown 56 innings since the end of 2021.  I suspect he is a guy who will get better as the season wears on as he gets back into condition to start.

Chris Getz told us Eder was close to the big leagues this last offseason. If he's close, the farm may be worse than we think.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's not just this year for Eder though. He has been terrible since the Sox acquired him and hasn't shown any signs of getting better yet. Jake Burger has proven he can hit major league pitching and is a power bat that the Sox offense could use right about now. 

Again, Rick and Kenny were not even in communication with each other on this trade. Bad process on a horrible trade. 

• Haha 2

On 4/5/2024 at 12:05 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

How does that take anything away from Burger?

Burger is over-rated. You want a steady glove like DeJong and Lopez to carry you through the playoffs. Chris Getz is a Warrior and knows these things. Jerry knows his guy has been battle-tested and has success written all over his resume. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1