Fedde linked to Giants...?

JoeC

on Si.com, according to Bleacher Report

https://www.si.com/mlb/giants/news/san-francisco-giants-linked-white-sox-starter-potential-trade-dylan9

Bleacher Report's Tim Kelly lists the Giants as one of the teams expected to go after Erick Fedde from the Chicago White Sox.

Take that with a grain of salt, I guess (since it's ultimately from Bleacher Report), but I would at least use this as a useful data point for Getz having built some trade value in the Fedde acquisition.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/giants/news/san-francisco-giants-linked-white-sox-starter-potential-trade-dylan9

Take that with a grain of salt, I guess (since it's ultimately from Bleacher Report), but I would at least use this as a useful data point for Getz having built some trade value in the Fedde acquisition.

You can safely assume teams that have injuries as well as potential fits.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If Fedde proves out to be a 4.00 ERA 1.30 WHIP guy in Chicago who pulls down 6ish innings a start, a LOT of teams will be lining up for him.

I am going to be extremely interested in the trade deadline this year. My hope, and expectation, is that guys like Fedde and Wilson will be dealt. There is also a small part of me that is worried that if they continue to perform well, they will just hang onto them keeping up this charade that they can compete soon.

I don't expect that to happen, but it is a slight worry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T R U said:

I am going to be extremely interested in the trade deadline this year. My hope, and expectation, is that guys like Fedde and Wilson will be dealt. There is also a small part of me that is worried that if they continue to perform well, they will just hang onto them keeping up this charade that they can compete soon.

I don't expect that to happen, but it is a slight worry.

I don’t think that’s a concern if they’re 30 games under .500 in July

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I don’t think that’s a concern if they’re 30 games under .500 in July

It shouldn't be, but this is the same team that DFA'd a prospect only to DFA a washed up veteran a few days later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

It is April 18 and we got reports about teams interest in our biggest FA signing from the winter.

Lmao

I mean, that's kind of the point in a signing like Fedde in a season like this, right?

You buy low, let him build up value, and flip him for prospects that can help you in 2 years or so.

If we can get a legitimate prospect from a team by trading Fedde, I'm considering that to be a huge success.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I mean, that's kind of the point in a signing like Fedde in a season like this, right?

You buy low, let him build up value, and flip him for prospects that can help you in 2 years or so.

If we can get a legitimate prospect from a team by trading Fedde, I'm considering that to be a huge success.

100%

Still funny

• Like 2

At what point do we stop rooting for actual competitive players to be traded away for prospects that may or may not work out, and start actually rooting for winning baseball? Like I understand the rationale behind it, but we already did this once. Under the same ownership. It did not work. I guess people think this is the only hope this team has but, if Jerry didn't let it be successful the first time, why the hell would he let it be successful the second time?

7 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

At what point do we stop rooting for actual competitive players to be traded away for prospects that may or may not work out, and start actually rooting for winning baseball? Like I understand the rationale behind it, but we already did this once. Under the same ownership. It did not work. I guess people think this is the only hope this team has but, if Jerry didn't let it be successful the first time, why the hell would he let it be successful the second time?

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I tend to agree but he's a free agent after next season. Could the Sox compete next season? Maybe but I wouldn't bank on it. You'd probably prefer to have a player under contract in 2026 and beyond than Fedde for 2024 and 2025 I think. 

1 hour ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

When you look at the roster and when you squint you can see them competing in a year or two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When this team is even remotely close to winning baseball. Which, with this roster, is at least two seasons away.

• Like 1

We get it, but Fedde is on a 2 year deal. If they hold him, we wouldn’t be good anyway for those 2 years.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

When you have new ownership in place. I'm not being facetious. This organization right now is so dysfunctional, inept and incompetent from top to bottom the only "hope" the way things are now is to catch lightening in a bottle. You know ownership is not going to change their attitude towards salaries, the players union, or investing money in player development. That is off the table.

Right now all you can do is hope to get lucky. Hope is not a successful winning strategy over the long term. 

So trade any good player, get a bunch of prospects and hope they all succeed.

That's all you've got right now. 

17 hours ago, JoeC said:

Ha here we go again. The obligatory optimistic thread after a good last outing from him.

Ok look I'm pretty sure I've been out in front of the whole Getz plan  to try to get trade value for his short term pitching acquisitions and oft injured position players at the deadline since it became apparent JR was drastically cutting salary and Getz had very little money to work with.

I've said it wasn't much of a plan since he was picking up a bunch of rejects for cheap and some relief pitchers but Bannister could help.

So far so good but it's not even May yet . I realize we're Desperately Seeking Susan here, a shred of hope that the Sox won't suck for the next 10 years. If he gets blown up in his next start he'll be a bum again.

But yes I want that plan to be able to get more prospects but Robert, Moncada and Eloy were also part of that plan and oops  been blown to smithereens in a few weeks.

14 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Because it's the only plan we got.

JR is running this dog and pony show. He slashed payroll like Sweeney Todd and told Getz  Here's Lookin' At You Kid ,build me a winner but don't call it a rebuild, let's pretend we can get it done quickly this time. I'll give you more money next year.Wink Wink nudge nudge !

Thorpe is 3-0 with a 0.50 era down in Birmingham and Clevinger is on the way. Keller is another possible guy that could come up. The Sox should have some flexibility to wheel and deal pitching even with an innings cap on Crochet. I really like the youth movement with Leasure, Cannon, and Nastyrini. 

I don't know if the Sox have found something in Fedde that is worth keeping or should they sell high.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

For me, it’s hoping that:

1) Player development will improve enough where you have waves of talent supplementing the major league roster instead of relying on the same few players to stay healthy and blossom into superstars year after year.

2) The money that JR does allow to be spent will be allocated better aka not spending 50 trillion dollars on the bullpen.