Ramos getting called up

I was ok punting this season as the beginning of the rebuild. Signing a locker room full of "has beens and never will bes" was fine to let the kids develop in the minors. We are a whole 6 weeks into the season and it's time to bring up the kids?!? Thank God we hired Getz....... it would have taken a whole year for an outsider to learn how f'ed up this organization is and realized he'd have to scrap the whole thing and reboot. Why can't we have nice things???

• Haha 2

Why wouldn't they just bring back Remillard?  He hasn't been?down long enough?  Isn't there a roster exemption for injuries?

The guy (Ramos) just gets his confidence back in AA and then suddenly you're going to throw him to the wolves?

Seems a bit short-sighted, at best.

2 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

I was ok punting this season as the beginning of the rebuild. Signing a locker room full of "has beens and never will bes" was fine to let the kids develop in the minors. We are a whole 6 weeks into the season and it's time to bring up the kids?!? Thank God we hired Getz....... it would have taken a whole year for an outsider to learn how f'ed up this organization is and realized he'd have to scrap the whole thing and reboot. Why can't we have nice things???

If they manage to mess up Montgomery Quero Ramos and Zavala...it might take another 3-4 years to even reach the level of "average to slightly above average" major league offense.

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

His wRC+ is 68 in AA, so sounds like he'll fit in real nice with our current group.

Leadership probably doesn't want to make any of the vets look bad!

I don’t even think the White Sox would call him up. He either was pulled just to get a breather, or maybe he wasn’t feeling well, or he’s going to Charlotte. If they called someone up from there they would need another infielder.

7 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I am very confused on what the hell we are doing

My guess is Mendick is hurt and they don’t want to call up Sosa again and therefore Ramos is really the only 40 man option. I bet he’s only up for a couple days until Getz can acquire another 32+ year old looking for a job. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t even think the White Sox would call him up. He either was pulled just to get a breather, or maybe he wasn’t feeling well, or he’s going to Charlotte. If they called someone up from there they would need another infielder.

He's up

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Why wouldn't they just bring back Remillard?  He hasn't been?down long enough?  Isn't there a roster exemption for injuries?

The guy (Ramos) just gets his confidence back in AA and then suddenly you're going to throw him to the wolves?

Seems a bit short-sighted, at best.

Ramos is on the 40-man and Remillard isn't.

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Grifol picked #5 for his favorite player George Brett.

Unfortunately, he has absolutely nothing in common with him.

I don’t know. I bet Grifol shits his pants at least once a year. Seems to be happening every night.

• Haha 1

This is shocking to me. I know Sosa was terrible, but what suggests Ramos, at this stage will be any better? I just read an article where scouts were saying the difference between MLB and AAA has never been bigger. This guy finally started getting it together in AA. If Sosa is that bad, DFA him, trade him for Cash Considerations or outright him, and put Remillard back on the 40. Why mess with Ramos. Let him progress.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

This might be the dumbest decision of the season so far.

Yes, the bar isn’t very high…but wasn’t the entire point of this season to protect all the prospects at AA and below from being overexposed?

It’s not like Ramos is going to sell more than a handful of tickets being up.  

Montgomery Quero Ramos and Zavala are supposed to be cornerstones for the next .500 Sox team.

If they’re going to burn a prospect, let it be a much lesser one in Baldwin who has been hot for weeks and weeks to start the season.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

I don't worry much about rushing guys. I think the ruining guys narrative is often overblown.

Almost everyone struggles at some point in the bigs. He'll either adjust his way out or not.

That said, he's also just not nearly ready or developed enough to succeed right now see will see how he adapts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This could get interesting. If Ramos is up and actually does a good job for the next 3 months, what happens when Moncada comes back after the All Star game? Moncadas option won't be picked up next season. I would think  the team will trade him or maybe realease him. Depends on how well Ramos does.

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This is shocking to me. I know Sosa was terrible, but what suggests Ramos, at this stage will be any better? I just read an article where scouts were saying the difference between MLB and AAA has never been bigger. This guy finally started getting it together in AA. If Sosa is that bad, DFA him, trade him for Cash Considerations or outright him, and put Remillard back on the 40. Why mess with Ramos. Let him progress.

The Sox should have let Sosa play 120 games this season in the mlb. He's taken time to figure out every level and maybe he just completely blows but why not let him show it over a very extended period 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Sub-.600 OPS in AA. He’s ready for the bigs!

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Sox should have let Sosa play 120 games this season in the mlb. He's taken time to figure out every level and maybe he just completely blows but why not let him show it over a very extended period 

This 10000%

• Like 1

I've understood what Getz is doing this year even if it hasn't worked. I at least understood the PROCESS of it. This is the first move that actually makes me mad. You are rushing him for no reason. 

In a month it should be:

Ramos 3B

Montgomery SS

Mendick 2B

Shewmake, DeJong, and Lopez grounding out or striking out 3-4 times a game is not big league material.  Let the left side of the IF kids play and Mendick is the top of the scrapheap for 2B.

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I really don’t see any reason this year why Sosa, Colas, and Korey Lee aren’t essentially every day players.  At least then, informed fans would have a reason to watch.  No one wants to see Martin Maldonado, Paul DeJong, & Robbie Grossman lose 100 games.  At least the guys from the minors are interesting and you see if there’s anything there or move on.

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I was in that camp, but he was such a menace on defense that he was eventually gonna run into somebody.  Add to it that Pedro hates the young guys, I can understand why they might want to go with a clean slate. That said, it is hard to imagine Ramos hitting right away. He has been in-between for most of the year. Hopefully, his current hot streak indicates he's found his approach and is going to stick with it.

26 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

This could get interesting. If Ramos is up and actually does a good job for the next 3 months, what happens when Moncada comes back after the All Star game? Moncadas option won't be picked up next season. I would think  the team will trade him or maybe realease him. Depends on how well Ramos does.

Would love to have that problem. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Sox won’t release Moncada during the season. He is one of the few actual big leaguers on this roster. He is also not tradable. In the unlikely scenario where Ramos grabs ahold of 3B in the next two months, they’d probably move Yoan around the diamond for the rest of the season. It’s just tough to do that because he’s far and away the best defensive 3B in the org. 

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Ramos getting called up