5/23-O's at Sox, 6:40pm

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

The more times I see this replay, the more I think it might be the worst call of all time. 

Yep, infielders should purposefully run into runners on every pop up now

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Kick us while we're down. f*** that call. 

Sox had already scored 4 that inning which is more than they usually score in a game   With men on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. Auto out on the pop out and stole our last AB with a chance to tie or win the game.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

The Fletcher trade was just as terrible as the Bummer trade 

Not exactly Ernie Broglio for Lou Brock.

Both trades not even likely to register as a blip in any kind of worst baseball trades ever. Maybe not even among the worst trades of the year when all is said and done.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not exactly Ernie Broglio for Lou Brock.

Both trades not even likely to register as a blip in any kind of worst baseball trades ever. Maybe not even among the worst trades of the year when all is said and done.

Sure, but it’s a horrible look for Getz

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep, infielders should purposefully run into runners on every pop up now

Exactly. I might (key word “might”) be able to get behind the call if the catch happened right after the “almost” collision. But he ran around Vaughn, ran forward another ten feet, and then camped under it for a bit. It had no effect on the play. And it was an infield fly rule. It’s baffling. 

• Like 3

Also, I didn’t realize the batter and the runner are called out during an interference call on an infield fly. I just had to look it up to confirm. Isn’t only one guy ruled out during a regular interference call?

Well that's six losses in the last seven games.

Bad call or not, the Sox weren't winning the game anyway. I don't know if I can blame Vaughn for stupid base running...oh what the hell maybe I should anyway, it is so White Sox! 😆 

Vaughn had zero incentive to interfere. He's going back to the base, why would he want Henderson to not catch the ball? This is an example of an umpire seeing something and not thinking of the context or situation at all.

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Well that's six losses in the last seven games.

Bad call or not, the Sox weren't winning the game anyway. I don't know if I can blame Vaughn for stupid base running...oh what the hell maybe I should anyway, it is so White Sox! 😆 

I mean what's he supposed to do in that situation? Apparently the fielder can try to seek you out and it'll be interference too...

Just now, chw42 said:

I mean what's he supposed to do in that situation? Apparently the fielder can try to seek you out and it'll be interference too...

Well I guess turnabout is fair play. Remember this:

August 24, 2008 – One thing White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski had going for him was his brain. A.J. was always thinking, always trying to get into the heads of the opposition and always willing to try something to gain an advantage.

On this day his quick thinking directly led to the Sox winning a game, in the middle of a pennant race, that perhaps they shouldn’t have.

The Sox were tied with Tampa Bay 5-5 in extra innings when A.J. led off with a single. He was on second when Jermaine Dye hit a ground ball to the Rays Jason Bartlett. Pierzynski broke on contact and was caught in a run down. However obstruction would wind up being called on third baseman Willy Aybar by umpire Doug Eddings when A.J. stuck his arm out and made contact with Aybar after he had already made a throw. The ruling was that even though Pierzynski initiated the contact it was the responsibility of Aybar to get out of the way.

A.J. was awarded third base and eventually scored the winning run on a single by Alexei Ramirez.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just watched the last play and listened to Stoney. Ridiculous call by the umps. Somebody should be disciplined on that ump crew. I noticed the home plate ump called it right away just fraction of a second before the second base ump. There wasn't a shove, a push, nothing from Vaughn. Very weird. 

Other than that, our first two pitchers stunk so we lost.

Edited by greg775

34 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Also, I didn’t realize the batter and the runner are called out during an interference call on an infield fly. I just had to look it up to confirm. Isn’t only one guy ruled out during a regular interference call?

The batter was out automatically on the infield fly rule.Vaughn was called out for interference .

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

The more times I see this replay, the more I think it might be the worst call of all time. 

I missed it.

Holy f***, you aren't kidding. That really is the ump just deciding a game is over.

45 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Well I guess turnabout is fair play. Remember this:

August 24, 2008 – One thing White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski had going for him was his brain. A.J. was always thinking, always trying to get into the heads of the opposition and always willing to try something to gain an advantage.

On this day his quick thinking directly led to the Sox winning a game, in the middle of a pennant race, that perhaps they shouldn’t have.

The Sox were tied with Tampa Bay 5-5 in extra innings when A.J. led off with a single. He was on second when Jermaine Dye hit a ground ball to the Rays Jason Bartlett. Pierzynski broke on contact and was caught in a run down. However obstruction would wind up being called on third baseman Willy Aybar by umpire Doug Eddings when A.J. stuck his arm out and made contact with Aybar after he had already made a throw. The ruling was that even though Pierzynski initiated the contact it was the responsibility of Aybar to get out of the way.

A.J. was awarded third base and eventually scored the winning run on a single by Alexei Ramirez.

I remember this game and thought of it immediately. Was pretty blatant too if I recall. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Definitely the worst call to end a game...in a situation where the outcome was in doubt.

Vaughn BARELY nudged him (he said Henderson was behind him, so there's almost no way he could have seen him without almost completely turning around...it BARELY affected the fielder's route and he had plenty of time to make the play.)

Maybe right by the letter of the law, but certainly not the spirit or intention.

Edited by caulfield12

This umpire has been really bad for a while but this is the most blatantly bad call I've ever seen. Move over Angel Hernandez, there's a new whipping boy. His name's Junior and he's funny looking too.

as far as the game, my takeaway is that the Orioles need bullpen help and should trade for Kopech. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Definitely the worst call to end a game...in a situation where the outcome was in doubt.

Vaughn BARELY nudged him (he said Henderson was behind him, so there's almost no way he could have seen him without almost completely turning around...it BARELY affected the fielder's route and he had plenty of time to make the play.)

Maybe right by the letter of the law, but certainly not the spirit or intention.

I think actually Henderson interfered with Vaughn on the play and every runner should have advanced. Vaughn did what every baserunner would do in that situation, casually walk back to second base, Henderson ran directly into him instead of directly to the ball. I think that's the baseball equivalent of a flop and Moron Jr. fell for it. Drawing contact will now be a useful skill for middle infielders when bozo and crew are officiating. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nrockway said:

This umpire has been really bad for a while but this is the most blatantly bad call I've ever seen. Move over Angel Hernandez, there's a new whipping boy. His name's Junior and he's funny looking too.

as far as the game, my takeaway is that the Orioles need bullpen help and should trade for Kopech. 

Mason Miller of the A's will be target #1, but even he can be touched up at 103.

Gave up 5 runs (3 earned) just yesterday, miraculously the A's scored 5 in the bottom of the 10th to win.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, fathom said:

And it was an infield fly, the catch literally didn’t matter.  Even Orioles fans are saying they know it was completely ridiculous.

It could matter. If he couldn't get to the ball and it got away, the runners could advance. By the letter of the law, it was called correctly. It's Vaughn's responsibility to get out of his way, whether he sees the guy or not makes zero difference. From a common sense angle, it was bad. The guy sidestepped Vaughn and had no issue getting to the ball. I don't think the Orioles would have put up any stink if it wasn't called.

They were supposedly emphasizing interference calls this year, but I think from fielders interfering with baserunners. I wonder if that had anything to do with this being called. The effect of the "interference" reminds me of several years ago when catchers set up blocking a part of home plate and runners weren't even close to them, were out by 30 feet and then called safe because of interference. Common sense should come into play. 

That all said, it's still very unlikely it cost the Sox the game.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • TLR 1

6 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Without a doubt, just horrible, what do they teach these bozos at umpiring school.