Buerhle Injury Update

quickman

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 09:07 PM)
Do you have a link to that website that fully explains arbitration?  Someone posted it on here but I can't remember who.

I was just looking for something that explained "super two" status, which is the risk you take with the second option I listed.

Here's the best one I could find that fits both our criteria.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/...n_2003_12_14_0/

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
If he's broght up early his arb clock gets started early... He'd likely be eligible for FA following the 2010 season, and you'd get 6 full seasons use out of him.

If he comes up later in the season, we can have him for 3+ years at a near league minumum salary, and 3 more years at arbitration value.  He'd likely be eligible for FA following the 2011 season, and you'd get 6 and a half years of service out of him.

you talk like there'd be no chance of McCarthy resigning with the Sox as a free agent.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
you talk like there'd be no chance of McCarthy resigning with the Sox as a free agent.

It doesn't matter about the agent... The salary values sky rocket at free agency. Getting an extra year out of a player @ close to 300K is a big deal, when in 6 years the salaries are going to be through the roof, no matter if he resigns or not.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
It doesn't matter about the agent... The salary values sky rocket at free agency.  Getting an extra year out of a player @ close to 300K is a big deal, when in 6 years the salaries are going to be through the roof, no matter if he resigns or not.

And that is just going to be absolutely huge. Teams that can develop good young pitching well have been very successful in this league (unless you're a big budget team). Organizations like Texas are finding out how important this is instead of handing out huge contracts to the likes of Chan Ho Park.

Four pages & we go from dire straits to Mark may miss one ST start. Wow!

From hell & back in Soxdom :D

We can actually move Mark to the back of the rotation to gain 4 more days off the foot.

Garcia, off, EL-D, 4th vs CLE

Buerhle, Garcia, 5th @ MIN

EL-D, off, Buehrle, Garcia @ CLE

4th, 5th, EL-D vs SEA - I'd like to give EL-D an extra day of rest

Buehrle, Garcia vs MIN

4th, 5th @ DET

EL-D, Buehrle, Garcia @ KCR

4th, 5th, EL-D, off @ OAK

Buerhle, Garcia, 4th, off vs DET

EL-D, Buerhle, Garcia vs KCR - Again giving EL-D an extra day of rest

It actually works out pretty good. We feature are top 2 guys in both the CLE & MIN series. That gives us better odds to grab hold of the division.

I put 4th & 5th because I think BMac still has a shot. If he makes it then Garland or Contreras will take Walker's spot in the pen.

With respect to what I call initial arbitration I think the key is 86 days of service. A call-up added to the 25 man roster must serve at least 86 days to be count as a major league service year. Call-ups in Sep when the roster expands would not count in that equation.

In theory we can call BMac up in Sep for the stretch run & it won't cost us any time towards his arbitration.

There is an exception of course. If BMac were to serve 86 days on the ChiSox & rank among the top 17% of arbitration eligible players he would be eligible for arbitration. It doesn't say by position so I think that would be very hard to do.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)
It doesn't matter about the agent... The salary values sky rocket at free agency.  Getting an extra year out of a player @ close to 300K is a big deal, when in 6 years the salaries are going to be through the roof, no matter if he resigns or not.

I agree an extra year is important, but you appear more willing to peer 6 years in the future than 2 months ahead. I'd rather worry about 2010 when it's 2008. Management has assembled a team to compete this year. Even Kenny Williams doesn't possess a chart spanning 6 years.

If the White Sox need McCarthy to replace Buehrle, and its been established he'll miss 4-6 weeks, Brandon is the best option available. Are you willing to trust Cotts/Hermanson/Adkins in the 5th starters role? If beginning McCarthy's arbitration clock early helps our team manage Buehrle's loss, it's well worth it.

Only problem I worry about is McCarthy's status once Buehrle returns. I agree with others who have said it will push the limits of Williams' creativeness.

Hopefully Buehrle's rehabilitation runs smoothy, as to avoid any discussion of assigning McCarthy to the starting rotation.

per rotoworld...

White Sox trainer Herm Schneider described Mark Buehrle's injury as a ''stress reaction'' but not a fracture. The left-hander still might be ready for Opening Day.

A CT scan indicated Buehrle apparently irritated a previous foot injury he was unaware of. ''Considering I can stand and walk on it, it is 120 percent better. I couldn't do that yesterday,'' Buehrle said. ''I came in today and everything was fine. I couldn't even tell there was anything wrong with my foot.'' Buehrle will miss at least one start. The White Sox should have a better idea about his status later this week. Mar. 21 - 9:17 pm et

If the White Sox need McCarthy to replace Buehrle, and its been established he'll miss 4-6 weeks, Brandon is the best option available. 

The 4-6 wks is only 42 days. Still 1/2 of the 86 days needed to start the arbit clock. Using him in a spot role like this would not start the clock. But it would negate the Sep free pass so to speak. Once you are added to the 25 man roster every day in the majors is a day of service. So if he was sent down after 6 weeks & then called up in Sep & then went on to the playoffs he could pass the 86 days. The post-season counts in the service day time clock. A 16 day cushion is not very much. If the Sox made it to the WS BMac would be 2 yrs away from arbit. It doesn't seem like a bad tradeoff to me :D

A guy at WSI posted a video of Kenny posing as a Comcast reporter and interviewing Herm Schneider and Buehrle. Here's the 12 meg video...

http://home.comcast.net/~sungho.ko/kenny2.avi

Right-click the link and save it to your desktop. Hilarious. :lol: Boy, did the media blow this out of proportion or what? I love how Kenny took the chance to rub it in their faces.

No more "intense shagging" Buehrle! :nono :lolhitting

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 06:04 AM)
when i download and play it in windows media player, it plays it with the ambience music video stuff, and i don't get the real video....all i get is the audio with the wierd video stuff that comes up when you play music.  How do i fix that?

You probably need a DivX codec.