Sox acquire Adam Eaton from ARZ, deal Santiago, Jacobs

Baron

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I love Q but with Santiago gone now maybe you throw him out there for a lesser-than-Price deal. Some exec was quoted saying the Rays want to make the Herschel Walker deal, also Seattle doesn't want to give up Walker, etc. Maybe Hahn can get 4-5 guys who have some very nice ceilings but aren't those huge names.

I think Q is pretty close to a finished product now & his numbers will stay pretty much where they are. The league will improve against him, but he'll adjust accordingly. I think Johnson can be a #3, and Danks will be one too if he makes it back. If you can get a haul for Q you have to think about it, because getting say 2 SP with #3 or higher ceilings plus a couple other prospects might actually result in replacing one #3 now with another one in the future while adding further value.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
Kid looks to have a gun....(another thing Lillian seems to be wrong about in the other thread)

This scouting report, plus the injury to his throwing arm, last season seemed to indicate that his arm was not good enough to profile in RF:

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/08/...-adam-eaton-of/

It should be fine in CF.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
This scouting report, plus the injury to his throwing arm, last season seemed to indicate that his arm was not good enough to profile in RF:

It should be fine in CF.

Garcia is the RF for the next five years anyway.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
It'd be impossible to argue otherwise.

I disagree, Eaton has talent, he was a top 100 prospect last year. His minor league slash line over 1,560 PA's is .348/.450/.501 and he played hurt last year. Obviously we identified him as a player we wanted to acquire and the cost wasn't prohibitive.

There has been something the Sox didn't dig about Santiago from the get go. I don't know if they think he's an injury waitng to happen, a guy who will always be at 100 pitches in the fifth inning or what, but there is something. If you really trust Cooper, he didn't like something about Santiago and I doubt it was his personality.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)

It should be fine in CF.

Wasn't the injury to his right arm?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)

It should be fine in CF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
Garcia is the RF for the next five years anyway.

This^

Also his MLB.com prospect scouting report from 2012 said...

"He has a plus arm from the outfield and likes to bait runners so he can throw them out."

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
It'd be impossible to argue otherwise.

Here's a try...

We traded Hector Santiago - a pitcher who's advanced stats project him to be a end of the rotation starter with a career 4.5 ERA... an extreme fly ball pitcher in our power hitter friendly park... for a cost controlled second year former top 100 prospect who is primed to break out.

I don't see that as selling low but then again, I was never high on Hector to begin with.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
This^

Also his MLB.com prospect scouting report from 2012 said...

"He has a plus arm from the outfield and likes to bait runners so he can throw them out."

I hope, if he's still doing this, the White Sox get him to stop. No reason trying to bait runners from the OF. It will backfire. Just get the ball in.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
What do you mean? Santiago and any other SP we could trade are controlled well beyond then.

Right, but we're trading a low ceiling pitcher for a high ceiling player. Who helps in the various areas of need that will matter in '15, '16 etc.

When you hold onto tons of pitching depth in a bad year, you sink an asset just by waiting til that inevitable arm injury. Holding onto too much starting pitching without having anything else on your team = not good. Those assets are the ones more likely to depreciate due to wear and tear.

This would all be different if we were a good team right now, with a healthy farm system. That is not the case.

If you go on about Santiago being 'mishandled' (as if pitchers MLB-wide dont go through the same kind of things when they're not 'special')............then why can't i bring in Eaton's UCL situation as well? we can go on about those things and uncover excuses left and right.

Edited by Jose Paniagua