Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 15, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
You almost never catch them talking about the Blackhawks.

If ABC/ESPN had business interests in hockey, the Blackhawks would be talked about for sure. They don't have any contract to put hockey on the air in any capacity, so they bury it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 15, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
They do talk about the Dolphins too much as well. But yes, if LeBron were to leave, the Heat would rarely be mentioned.

I think you only think that because of the bully gate thing last season, when they were pretty much forced to talk about the Dolphins non stop. Other than that, I almost never hear Dolphins talk from ESPN that isn't general "signed player x" or "drafted player x" which is done for all teams.

QUOTE (TRU @ May 16, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
I think you only think that because of the bully gate thing last season, when they were pretty much forced to talk about the Dolphins non stop. Other than that, I almost never hear Dolphins talk from ESPN that isn't general "signed player x" or "drafted player x" which is done for all teams.

As much as I hate the Dolphins, I will back this. They really don't talk about the Dolphins at all. In fact, I think the only team you can ever count on them talking about, regardless of how good or who is on the team, is the Cowboys. If/when the Patriots and Broncos suck or Tom/Peyton are off the team, I imagine they'll fade into obscurity again.

Jose Abreu might sit Sunday with a sore ankle.

Abreu began experiencing left ankle discomfort over a week ago and was limping noticeably in Saturday's loss to the Astros. He should be fine after a day or two of rest. The Cuban slugger has 15 home runs and 42 RBI in 44 games this season for the White Sox.

Per Rotoworld

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 18, 2014 -> 12:51 AM)
Jose Abreu might sit Sunday with a sore ankle.

Abreu began experiencing left ankle discomfort over a week ago and was limping noticeably in Saturday's loss to the Astros. He should be fine after a day or two of rest. The Cuban slugger has 15 home runs and 42 RBI in 44 games this season for the White Sox.

Per Rotoworld

You could tell he was hurting. Hawk and Whimpy talked about it too and how it might be affecting his approach at the plate

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 15, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
They had just a few more weapons than we do...

Hanley Ramirez was equally important last year. They both came back and went on a tear at approximately the same time, but Puig gets more of the credit because he came up earlier by a week or two and also due to his rookie status and intriguing story.

Plus, LA loves superstars.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
You could tell he was hurting. Hawk and Whimpy talked about it too and how it might be affecting his approach at the plate

It totally is but the kid HATES sitting. He is a show me leader and wants to be out there. Word has it he's one of the best clubhouse guys ever seen as a rookie who doesn't speak English. He's a team guy first and you can just feel it. That's something you couldn't really "scout" before.

Because of this they let him play which was probably a mistake, however they like how the team plays with him in the lineup.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2014 -> 11:29 PM)
It totally is but the kid HATES sitting. He is a show me leader and wants to be out there. Word has it he's one of the best clubhouse guys ever seen as a rookie who doesn't speak English. He's a team guy first and you can just feel it. That's something you couldn't really "scout" before.

Because of this they let him play which was probably a mistake, however they like how the team plays with him in the lineup.

This is exactly what you don't want to have happen...

"Jose (Fernandez) did not have a preexisting condition. While pitching during the recent Dodgers game in Miami he was struck by a ball on his rear thigh. This prompted a completely unanticipated change in delivery which neither the staff nor his coaches could discern. After the game we spoke as we always do. Jose was concerned about his arm. Despite many exchanges on the subject in the days that followed he felt that with the Marlins regaining first place in the division he could not let his team down.

"Apparently the injury was worse than he believed. In San Diego in the third ending he suffered a traumatic event, tossed a couple of more innings and the rest is history. A pitch speed analysis was published reflecting a decrease in speed in the last few games. The analysis did not take into account that by design after a victory in Atlanta, facing Atlanta five days later warranted nearly forty off speed pitches. A similar pattern followed in the early innings of the next game. Thus the reduction in average speed but not due to injury.

http://msn.foxsports.com/florida/story/rep...y-injury-051614

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2014 -> 04:32 AM)
This is exactly what you don't want to have happen...

"Jose (Fernandez) did not have a preexisting condition. While pitching during the recent Dodgers game in Miami he was struck by a ball on his rear thigh. This prompted a completely unanticipated change in delivery which neither the staff nor his coaches could discern. After the game we spoke as we always do. Jose was concerned about his arm. Despite many exchanges on the subject in the days that followed he felt that with the Marlins regaining first place in the division he could not let his team down.

"Apparently the injury was worse than he believed. In San Diego in the third ending he suffered a traumatic event, tossed a couple of more innings and the rest is history. A pitch speed analysis was published reflecting a decrease in speed in the last few games. The analysis did not take into account that by design after a victory in Atlanta, facing Atlanta five days later warranted nearly forty off speed pitches. A similar pattern followed in the early innings of the next game. Thus the reduction in average speed but not due to injury.

http://msn.foxsports.com/florida/story/rep...y-injury-051614

You know there is a difference between a twisted ankle and an elbow ligament, right? Guys play on twisted ankles all of the time. Basketball, football, soccer, etc, players go out and play very regularly, if they are low ankle sprains. There is no season ending surgery involved here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
You know there is a difference between a twisted ankle and an elbow ligament, right? Guys play on twisted ankles all of the time. Basketball, football, soccer, etc, players go out and play very regularly, if they are low ankle sprains. There is no season ending surgery involved here.

That was my point...unless Abreu was changing something in his swing to compensate...the danger involved isn't like a pitcher tearing an elbow ligament.

That said, Abreu has that same desire to win and be in the line-up everyday, and the "eye test" with his strikeout rates ascending, him being off balance or loading up more than before, it's possible he could have sat for 2-3 days and fixed things instead of having to go down for a DL stint of 12-15 days missed.

We'll never really know. Ventura and Schneider must have felt comfortable that Jose could diagnose his own level of soreness, since it has apparently been an ongoing thing in the off-season and coming into spring training.

If they do end up putting him on the DL, then balta's point will be validated, to an extent. Sometimes you have to be willing to lose a battle here or there to win a longer-term war, which is what every major league baseball season of 162 games is (especially in a season you're not expected to compete). Big picture. Just like with Sale.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)
That was my point...unless Abreu was changing something in his swing to compensate...the danger involved isn't like a pitcher tearing an elbow ligament.

That said, Abreu has that same desire to win and be in the line-up everyday, and the "eye test" with his strikeout rates ascending, him being off balance or loading up more than before, it's possible he could have sat for 2-3 days and fixed things instead of having to go down for a DL stint of 12-15 days missed.

We'll never really know. Ventura and Schneider must have felt comfortable that Jose could diagnose his own level of soreness, since it has apparently been an ongoing thing in the off-season and coming into spring training.

If they do end up putting him on the DL, then balta's point will be validated, to an extent. Sometimes you have to be willing to lose a battle here or there to win a longer-term war, which is what every major league baseball season of 162 games is (especially in a season you're not expected to compete). Big picture. Just like with Sale.

If Abreu has to go on the DL, he would have gone on the DL regardless of if he played or sat Friday or Saturday. The White Sox can be ripped for a lot of things, but how they handle injuries isn't one of them, especially by unqualified people who don't even know what the exact injury is.

Edited by Dick Allen

Pretty obvious Ventura handled this the wrong way. Guess what causes Tendinitus? Over use. Abreu had played in every game coming into this series and he should have had two off days in a row, instead he's now on the 15 day dl.

You guys can continue to defend Robin and talk about all the great work Chicago has done keeping guys healthy but guess what -- have you watched the last two seasons? It's not exactly like we are keeping guys healthy anymore.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 18, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
Pretty obvious Ventura handled this the wrong way. Guess what causes Tendinitus? Over use. Abreu had played in every game coming into this series and he should have had two off days in a row, instead he's now on the 15 day dl.

You guys can continue to defend Robin and talk about all the great work Chicago has done keeping guys healthy but guess what -- have you watched the last two seasons? It's not exactly like we are keeping guys healthy anymore.

I don't think one extra day off would have made a difference. Maybe the whole series but I don't know... With Eaton coming back it forced the teams hand..

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 18, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)

Lol. They have been planning a DL trip for weeks. Nice try.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 18, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
So they've been planning a DL trip for weeks but kept on playing him? Not buying that.

It's absurd on the face and I can't believe anyone is seriously gullible enough to believe that. How strong is the Herm Scheinder cool aid around here?

As observers, this is what we have as the timeline:

Spring Training -- Abreu battles ankle soreness in same ankle, club and player downplay it as "usual soreness"

May 8th, Cubs -- Abreu "tweaks ankle" after the game Robin says he'll DH until it's better.

~May 12 -- Ankle isn't getting any better from the eye test (obviously hobbling badly down the line) Robin tells media the upcoming off game will "be a great time to get him two days off in a row"

Present -- Robin does not give Jose any off days, ankle continues to deteriorate to the eye -- now he's hobbling badly after every swing. Gets so bad he's pulled for Konerko in a close game. Abreu goes on DL after game and is visibly upset post game as media has him sitting for around 15 minutes looking distraught at his locker post game.

You tell me Rock, this is just some vast incredibly well thought out plan of action because it seems to me like a clusterf***.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 18, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
So they've been planning a DL trip for weeks but kept on playing him? Not buying that.

They've known for quite some time he would have to take a DL stint for the ankle. You don't have to buy anything but it's the truth. Not everyone pays attention to the truth.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 18, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
It's absurd on the face and I can't believe anyone is seriously gullible enough to believe that. How strong is the Herm Scheinder cool aid around here?

As observers, this is what we have as the timeline:

Spring Training -- Abreu battles ankle soreness in same ankle, club and player downplay it as "usual soreness"

May 8th, Cubs -- Abreu "tweaks ankle" after the game Robin says he'll DH until it's better.

~May 12 -- Ankle isn't getting any better from the eye test (obviously hobbling badly down the line) Robin tells media the upcoming off game will "be a great time to get him two days off in a row"

Present -- Robin does not give Jose any off days, ankle continues to deteriorate to the eye -- now he's hobbling badly after every swing. Gets so bad he's pulled for Konerko in a close game. Abreu goes on DL after game and is visibly upset post game as media has him sitting for around 15 minutes looking distraught at his locker post game.

You tell me Rock, this is just some vast incredibly well thought out plan of action because it seems to me like a clusterf***.

Lol. Then don't pay attention to my info, I really don't care.