Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
reddick has more value than shark so getting him involved would take some talent.

I think smarj can be had w/o anderson, and I agree that overpaying for the pair would be bad.

But I think that is what it would take for both.

The only way I would even think about trading Anderson at all is if Samardzija and Reddick were both included. I might throw in Montas on top of that too, but that's enough talent that's close to the majors for the A's to really only need about 1 more player on top.

I also don't think Reddick has anywhere near the value Samardzija has. Reddick is a good player but he's not that good, and he's 2 years away from free agency.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
The two years are what makes him more valuable.

Its like, a ~3 win outfielder with lefty power and defense in a market with very few good hitters for two years vs a ~3 win pitcher in a much deeper pitching market for one year.

And yet people are talking about a 3 win SS with 2 years being traded for a 3 win pitcher for 1 year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
Technically, outside of this past year, wasn't Gordon Beckham pretty close to a league average 2B (when factoring in his defense)? Slightly below average, but close?

By fWAR, the answer is no. League average is right around 2 WAR. Gordon's rookie year was the only time he even eclipsed 1 WAR: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=2B

Reddick is also cheaper that Alexei, although the SS market is MUCH shallower than the OF pool.

Alexei could bring back a good RH pitcher but it doesn't seem like teams are desperate enough yet.

After Lowrie and Cabrera sign it should pick up.

But yeah I wouldn't do AR for JS

With so much Beckham talk it makes me think about how we approach this trade market with Anderson. Not that I am saying you should just go out trading all your developing minor league talent but that you should not over value every piece particularly when trading for a proven major league player. It turned out they should have traded Beckham while his stock was high but EVERYONE overvalued him so they didn't bite on any trades. So we should want Hahn to do the same thing with Anderson and hope he proves to be awesome one day? I am torn.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 06:26 PM)
With so much Beckham talk it makes me think about how we approach this trade market with Anderson. Not that I am saying you should just go out trading all your developing minor league talent but that you should not over value every piece particularly when trading for a proven major league player. It turned out they should have traded Beckham while his stock was high but EVERYONE overvalued him so they didn't bite on any trades. So we should want Hahn to do the same thing with Anderson and hope he proves to be awesome one day? I am torn.

I have no problem trading Anderson for exactly that reason. He fits our needs but he's 2 years away and has a decent bust potential on the way as a pretty raw hitter. He might well need a couple years in the big leagues to reach his potential if he ever does. I'm certainly open to moving him in the right deal.

The problem is that moving him for a guy with 1 year of team control remaining seems to me to be a completely awful deal any way I slice it.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

Sources: If the White Sox do deal for Jeff Samardzija, return would be Marcus Semien and prospects. A's would slot Semien in at shortstop.

Wite's fears confirmed….