Sox Sign David Robertson - 4 yr, $46 mil

Boopa1219

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
While I don't think Escobar and Davis will repeat what they did, their bullpen shouldn't really regress to a level lower than "of the best." Hochevar is a stud and will add another dimension. I think their biggest mistake is not trading Holland this offseason.

Don't get me wrong, I think their pen is still going to be very good but there are just some guys that can't possibly repeat what they did last season and so much of their success was based on that ridiculous pen.

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I think their pen is still going to be very good but there are just some guys that can't possibly repeat what they did last season and so much of their success was based on that ridiculous pen.

And they barely squeeked into the playoffs and got real lucky they advanced past the WC game, and are losing their ace. They are going to need some guys get a lot better with the bats in 2015 to win as many games.

For all the hype that the Samardzija trade received, I really feel like Robertson will have the biggest actual impact on the team. I know we've talked about the blown saves from last year, but it really seems like there were a significant number of 2 and 3 run leads blown from the 8th inning on. Hopefully Robertson can turn those blown games into wins.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 10:38 PM)
For all the hype that the Samardzija trade received, I really feel like Robertson will have the biggest actual impact on the team. I know we've talked about the blown saves from last year, but it really seems like there were a significant number of 2 and 3 run leads blown from the 8th inning on. Hopefully Robertson can turn those blown games into wins.

I agree, I think it was partly that the Samardzija thread took both comments. I'm so glad we have a closer.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)

I very much agree an I was big on us getting Shark, but like you think Robertson could have a bigger impact for us

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
And they barely squeeked into the playoffs and got real lucky they advanced past the WC game, and are losing their ace. They are going to need some guys get a lot better with the bats in 2015 to win as many games.

We can say the same thing about the Red Sox getting "lucky" to get past the Yankees in 2004, can't we?

Sometimes, you make your own luck, too. The 2005 White Sox had almost everything go their way. Their pitching staff was more dominant and they had a great bullpen as well, but most consider the need for both factors to kick in.

I've been surprised the Royals are holding back. They were talking Tomas and Cruz and Markakis and Hunter and now that's shifted to the likes of Peguero and Paulo Orlando for DH/RF, which must be scary for their fanbase.

If they figure out a way to rest Sal Perez and give him more time as a DH, he'll be a much more dangerous hitter like we've seen over and over against the Sox.

Is the second half Cain the real one? How much of what he did is sustainable offensively?

We've seen glimpses of what Hosmer, Escobar and Moustakas can do....stretches where they put it all together and look like All-Stars. Which versions will show up in 2015?

Can Dyson play everyday...is he part of a platoon or is he relegated back to a bench role because of his lack of offensive pop...sort of a poor man's Billy Hamilton?

The Hochevar signing obviously is beneficial for them as well, and quite affordable going by this year's FA pricetags.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)

The Sox bullpen last year was so bad in a lot of different categories.I don't know where to find bullpen stats but I know they had were worse or near worst in walks allowed , K's and other categories I can't pinpoint .If the new pen can have success in defined roles there should be a big improvement.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
The Sox bullpen last year was so bad in a lot of different categories.I don't know where to find bullpen stats but I know they had were worse or near worst in walks allowed , K's and other categories I can't pinpoint .If the new pen can have success in defined roles there should be a big improvement.

They lost 7 games when leading going into the 9th. They lost a total of 14 games when leading or tied going into the ninth. A couple of adjustments can make a huge difference.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
For some reason, I always thought Robertson always threw hard. This deal actually makes me feel a lot better that he can fulfill the value of the contract relying on movement and not velocity.

You will be sorely disappointed over the next four years ..... Hahn's Dunn.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
They lost 7 games when leading going into the 9th. They lost a total of 14 games when leading or tied going into the ninth. A couple of adjustments can make a huge difference.

THIS is exactly why I think Robertson makes this a .500 team last year and why I'm so excited he's a part of this team.

The best way to look at this deal, IMO, is that we can have "nice things" because of all the awesome contracts we have on our core pieces. Money is only ever an issue if it stops you from doing something else, and this doesn't even really cover what Sale SHOULD be paid. So this is Hahn's foresight giving him the bonus resources to shore up a big need in a really big way.