Yasiel Puig

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
It would have to be all four and even then throw in some low level guys or absorb a bad contract. Too much bust capacity in those four products to give up a generational talent like Sale. No ones untradeable but you need to quality and quantity in any deal for Sale.

Sale is fantastic, but there is no way dodgers would make that trade. And if that's the case, than that is not his value.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)
It would have to be all four and even then throw in some low level guys or absorb a bad contract. Too much bust capacity in those four products to give up a generational talent like Sale. No ones untradeable but you need to quality and quantity in any deal for Sale.

Under that scenario you are getting at least one of Pederson / Puig, both of whom are widely considered special talents and who have had major league success. Puig has had historical success over his first two seasons. Pederson not quite the same level but major upside is their. If you get both of them, well that completely rebuilds your outfield (Pederson / Puig / Eaton) is not just a fantastic and athletic defensive outfield, it is a very good offensive outfield. Your top of the order has a guy like Pederson (strikeout issues yes, but good OBP, to go with Eaton who I still believe in) and then you have Abreu in the lineup. You do have an issue of what to do with Avi / Melky / LaRoche as their are only enough at bats (you could live with two of them and keep guys fresh, kind of rotating at bats amongst the 3 OF spots and DH), but that probably doesn't work so well. Of course if the Dodgers were to do that sort of deal (and they wouldn't), Sox would have to give up one of Avi / Melky.

Now you add in either Urias or Seager and that is another elite prospect (both which would fill need positions). This type of trade would completely turn the Sox potential almost immediately and the potential upside would be more then worth it. Again, could it all blow up in our faces, sure, but I think the Sox contend immediately if they were able to pull off Pederson / Puig / Urias (or Seager). I think the most likely scenario would be Puig / Urias / Seager and that deal would have a little more potential downside, although you are still looking at filling 2 major needs. If you get a package of Puig / Pederson / One of the Other, OMG, we'd be insane not to.

I probably think a lot harder if it is Puig / Urias / Seager, but even then I think I'm in. If they added Barnes I'd be for sure in.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)

I'm pretty harsh on prospect packages, but even I would say that four-pack would be the definition of quality and quantity. It's the only thing (minus a Kris Bryant-plus package) that would get me on board with trading Sale. You'd be filling a heck of a lot of holes. However I agree there's no way the Dodgers make that deal.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
I'm pretty harsh on prospect packages, but even I would say that four-pack would be the definition of quality and quantity. It's the only thing (minus a Kris Bryant-plus package) that would get me on board with trading Sale. You'd be filling a heck of a lot of holes. However I agree there's no way the Dodgers make that deal.

They probably wouldn't but a Kershaw, Greinke, Sale trio in any playoff series would be awfully tough for anyone to beat.

QUOTE (jdupps @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 05:02 PM)
They probably wouldn't but a Kershaw, Greinke, Sale trio in any playoff series would be awfully tough for anyone to beat.

That trio basically guarantees a ring.

And that's the only package I take for Sale. Other than absolutely fleecing thr Cubs.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
Under that scenario you are getting at least one of Pederson / Puig, both of whom are widely considered special talents and who have had major league success. Puig has had historical success over his first two seasons. Pederson not quite the same level but major upside is their. If you get both of them, well that completely rebuilds your outfield (Pederson / Puig / Eaton) is not just a fantastic and athletic defensive outfield, it is a very good offensive outfield. Your top of the order has a guy like Pederson (strikeout issues yes, but good OBP, to go with Eaton who I still believe in) and then you have Abreu in the lineup. You do have an issue of what to do with Avi / Melky / LaRoche as their are only enough at bats (you could live with two of them and keep guys fresh, kind of rotating at bats amongst the 3 OF spots and DH), but that probably doesn't work so well. Of course if the Dodgers were to do that sort of deal (and they wouldn't), Sox would have to give up one of Avi / Melky.

Now you add in either Urias or Seager and that is another elite prospect (both which would fill need positions). This type of trade would completely turn the Sox potential almost immediately and the potential upside would be more then worth it. Again, could it all blow up in our faces, sure, but I think the Sox contend immediately if they were able to pull off Pederson / Puig / Urias (or Seager). I think the most likely scenario would be Puig / Urias / Seager and that deal would have a little more potential downside, although you are still looking at filling 2 major needs. If you get a package of Puig / Pederson / One of the Other, OMG, we'd be insane not to.

I probably think a lot harder if it is Puig / Urias / Seager, but even then I think I'm in. If they added Barnes I'd be for sure in.

Sorry I somehow lapsed over Pederson being in the deal. Yes that is probably too much from the ML roster given a team trying to win now.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
Dave Cameron of Fangraphs said today that if Sale was put on the block, Puig would definitely be a piece coming back.

Hopefully not the best piece- Seager, Urias, and Pederson coming along as well. And they get Melky or Avi.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
You don't think the Dodgers would trade Puig for a rental? Price puts them over? I think they'd prefer using Puig for a cost controlled arm.

Just going to be difficult for the Dodgers to trade Puig to the Dodgers. Gotta agree with Balta here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
I meant Tigers. Price and Cespedes for Puig. Would the Dodgers do it? I think if I am Dombrowski, I would if he is waving the white flag.

That would be an interesting deal. If I'm Dombrowski, I'd do it. I think maybe you could get Puig for Price on his own (major coup if you compare to what they gave up for Price, imo). Then see what you can get for Cespedes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
I meant Tigers. Price and Cespedes for Puig. Would the Dodgers do it? I think if I am Dombrowski, I would if he is waving the white flag.

So, first problem - if the Dodgers are more willing to move Puig because they got Crawford back from most recent injury, then Cespedes doesn't necessarily fill a need for them?

Beyond that, I'm too out of touch with LA to know how the team is looking at him right now. Talent-wise no they wouldn't do that, but getting rid of a guy sometimes you do things you wouldn't otherwise do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
So, first problem - if the Dodgers are more willing to move Puig because they got Crawford back from most recent injury, then Cespedes doesn't necessarily fill a need for them?

Beyond that, I'm too out of touch with LA to know how the team is looking at him right now. Talent-wise no they wouldn't do that, but getting rid of a guy sometimes you do things you wouldn't otherwise do.

I don't think Crawford has a place right now. Caught Rick Monday on yesterday (might have been the day before) and he basically said from what he's heard, no one really knows what Carl is going to do and what to expect. He might be moved(along with a mountain of cash).

Also, when I was listening to Rick Monday, it reiterated how terrible our broadcasters are. I heard smarter dialogue in the 10 minutes with Monday then I've heard on every Sox telecast combined this season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)

I am on a major get Puig mode. I think talents like that rarely become available. Heck, I'm even intrigued if the Dodgers make a knock your Sox off type deal for Sale. They are the team (along with the Cubs) who could give me the combo of young major league talent and top prospects.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)

Crawford remaining healthy is about as likely as you praising the White Sox work in Glendale. For the short term, the Dodgers would have a big 3 of Kershaw, Greinke, and Price. Good luck against that in the playoffs, and Cespedes is a pretty good player. If they are disenchanted with Puig, they can deal him and become the odds on favorites to win it all, if they are not already. The Tigers get a headcase, very talented, who wouldn't cost 8 figures a year until 2019. There is something here for everyone.

Edited by Dick Allen

Cespedes has often been compared to Puig, Kemp and Hanley Ramirez in the "guaranteed to screw up team chemistry" department.

Maybe because no stories have come out of DET this year compared to Boston last season (and All-Star numbers) he's suddenly more viable again, but you can practically guarantee if Cespedes isnt't playing everyday with a FA contract looming that he'd become a major headache.

Another player the White Sox or Tigers would desire from LA is Hector Olivera for 3b...if they were willing to part with him. On the injured list right now for OKC.

Edited by caulfield12