MLB trade rumors mentioned Sox at potential destination for Wieters

southsider2k5

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/10/matt...free-agent.html

Clubs that could enter the market for a starting catcher include the Rangers, Nationals, Braves, White Sox, Mariners, Twins, Rockies, Angels, and Astros. Of those nine teams, the Braves, White Sox, and Rockies have protected first round picks. The White Sox have not historically been involved with a lot of Scott Boras’ free agents, but we can’t rule them out.

Expected Contract

I can picture Boras coming out of the gates seeking Russell Martin/Brian McCann money for Wieters, meaning five years and $82-85MM. I don’t think he’ll get there, but I’m predicting a four-year, $64MM deal, even with a qualifying offer.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
If he costs a draft pick then I'm out. If he doesn't, I'm down for it.

I don't think they'll make him a qualifying offer but even if they do it's just a second rounder we'll lose. Getting a comp pick from Samardzija definitely eases that pain a bit. If our first rounder wasn't protected I wouldn't even entertain the thought of Wieters.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
Although Weiters hasn't exactly been Carlton Fisk, Fisk was a 33 year old catcher with an injury history.

Most careers don't have the tail that Fisk's did. For where this team is, I don't think Wieters is a risk worth taking.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Most careers don't have the tail that Fisk's did. For where this team is, I don't think Wieters is a risk worth taking.

In all seriousness, how many 30 year old catchers with injury histories turn into Carlton Fisk, and how many wash out?

Hard pass on Wieters at both the years and the price, especially if we have to give up a pick. His career OPS+ is 100, he's 25th in wRC+ among catchers since he debuted, he's not particularly great at pitch framing either. He throws out runners really well, and I don't know how well he calls a game, but I'm not really seeing the appeal.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
I would be all for going after Wieters for the right price at 4/64 I'd pass. My interest would top out around 4/45 and I don't think that will get it done.

Not even close.

People, this is 2015, soon to be 2016. $11M AAV doesn't get you that much anymore.

Edited by ChiSox59

If the price is not too steep I'm all for Wieters. If the Sox could milk him through the '16 season at catcher without major injury, they would be in the clear with LaRoche gone at seasons end. After '16 Wieters can split time with Abreu at 1B/DH in an effort to keep Wieters healthy.

He's hardly played at all the last two years and his worst year of his three-year stretch of "good" productivity was the year before that. That's two bad seasons and one iffy one the last three years.

If he's going to make that kind of money then I don't know what to say. 15 mill a year I guess is the new average salary for average position players who have enough time accrued.

QUOTE (beautox @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 07:14 PM)
Pass you can get similar if not better production for a fraction of the price with AJ and Soto without giving out a contract to an oft injured 30 year old catcher.

Well this is a little more of a longer term solution than probably just a 1 year with AJ.