Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)
It's not going to happen. But you have to give up talent to get talent. He wont be cheap. Even taking back a garbage contract probably wont bring his price down enough.

Our rotation is already suspect, who are you replacing Q with?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)
Our rotation is already suspect, who are you replacing Q with?

I'd probably fill it out with one of the free agents left. But it would be nice to add a 5 War OFer making minimal money to the team. Alas it's a complete longshot.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
Weird than Rosenthal didn't include a 4th year in that tweet. Makes me wonder if he's already lowering down into a 4/5 year expectation.

I'd think he wants at least a 4 year guaranteed contract, probably with a 5th year option. The 1st team to offer 4 years guaranteed is most likely to land him imo.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 07:26 PM)
I'd probably fill it out with one of the free agents left. But it would be nice to add a 5 War OFer making minimal money to the team. Alas it's a complete longshot.

He's at 3.3 WAR from Fangraphs. He also doesn't get on base a lot or hit for much power. He doesn't have enough of a track record to make me confident enough he'll continue putting up 3-5 WAR. I don't think he's worth what it would take to get him.

I think the word "Ace" gets thrown around too much these days. The Sox have one "Ace". Q is a very good pitcher but he's not an Ace. Rodon has a high ceiling and one day could be an Ace but he's not even close to there yet.

As for Cespedes, starting to think he goes back to the Mets unless some team ponies up big.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 08:51 PM)
I think the word "Ace" gets thrown around too much these days. The Sox have one "Ace". Q is a very good pitcher but he's not an Ace. Rodon has a high ceiling and one day could be an Ace but he's not even close to there yet.

As for Cespedes, starting to think he goes back to the Mets unless some team ponies up big.

Top 10 pitcher in baseball over the past three years gets you the title of Ace.

Kuykendall’s firm does an annual study, which the Rams cite, for the U.S. Conference of Mayors. In the latest version, published in June, St. Louis ranks 252nd of 381 metro areas for projected economic growth between 2014 and 2021.

That happens to be better than five National Football League cities (Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Cleveland, Detroit and Buffalo), but it’s nothing to boast about. Income growth and population growth are important for a team — or any business — that wants to attract more customers and charge higher prices.

stltoday.com

Here's yet another reason for the White Sox to spend now.

1) The Royals' window will close after 2017.

2) The Twins are still waiting on the development of Buxton/Berrios and aren't spending...or at least haven't shown a willingness after throwing all that money at Santana, Hughes and Nolasco. They're still weighed down by Mauer and Plouffe/Dozier will get more and more expensive.

3) The Tigers have an older core and are even more in "win now" mode than the White Sox.

4) Economics/corporate business climate arguments will make it almost impossible for Cleveland to make large changes in FA...they are limited to the likes of Rajai Davis and Napoli and trading a starter for any impact offensive help at 3B, RF and to cover up for the injury to Brantley.

The White Sox absolutely need to have that offensive threat from 2017-2018 in the middle of this current window. They can afford to replace Lawrie, Frazier and Cabrera, but if you start talking about adding a catcher as well as a big bat before 2018, and the farm system's still not producing any difference-making hitters, you're back to Square 1 but facing 5X the competition for a limited number of free agents (compared to the situation now).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:35 AM)
I really like this writeup by Jesse Spector.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/46911...ite-sox-indians

Yup, that article pretty much sums up the situation perfectly and IMO shows why the Sox are in a good spot. Very few teams with OF needs actually have the resources to land Cespedes or Upton at this point in time. While we all go back and forth on how much budget the Sox have left, I strongly believe they have the resources to sign one of these guys as long as the terms aren't ridiculous. Given how the market is playing out, I really think that will be the case. No reason not to be optimistic.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 06:39 AM)
Yup, that article pretty much sums up the situation perfectly and IMO shows why the Sox are in a good spot. Very few teams with OF needs actually have the resources to land Cespedes or Upton at this point in time. While we all go back and forth on how much budget the Sox have left, I strongly believe they have the resources to sign one of these guys as long as the terms aren't ridiculous. Given how the market is playing out, I really think that will be the case. No reason not to be optimistic.

I go back and forth about being optimistic, but the article does make me feel better. No matter what, though, if the Sox were to sign Cespedes (or Upton for that matter), the 2016 payroll will be one of the highest ever for the team. I would imagine the Sox would be willing to have a higher payroll this year knowing that $29 million is coming off the books next year. That is, however, all dependent on what kind of deals Cespedes and Upton ultimately get. As each day goes by it looks more and more like they will end up with shorter deals, but you never know.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)
I go back and forth about being optimistic, but the article does make me feel better. No matter what, though, if the Sox were to sign Cespedes (or Upton for that matter), the 2016 payroll will be one of the highest ever for the team. I would imagine the Sox would be willing to have a higher payroll this year knowing that $29 million is coming off the books next year. That is, however, all dependent on what kind of deals Cespedes and Upton ultimately get. As each day goes by it looks more and more like they will end up with shorter deals, but you never know.

The Sox had a $128M payroll in 2011, which was before the big national TV money kicked in. I'm confident they can match that figure next year. If Reinsdorf is willing to go above that threshold just a little bit and Cespedes is willing to take a slightly back-loaded deal, I truly believe we can make the financials work.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
I think the disconnect between us seems to be that I think more suitors will come as the price goes down.

As far as the money issue, that was more of a separate thought & just a suspicion of mine, although talking with raBBit, he brought up a few good points that throw that thought away.

I still think that as the price drops, more suitors will jump in because the demands are that much lower & easier for other teams to meet.

If more suitors come in, the price goes back up.

At the end of the day, the team that gets him will be the one that's willing to pay the highest price.