Rangers have increased pursuit of Q?

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll have to excuse me...I'm late to this party--haven't read all the posts...but trying to catch up! Quick question...were the picks awarded to Houston competitive balance picks or STL's regular picks? I was under the impression that only competitive balance picks could be traded in MLB? If they were not competitive balance picks, Houston couldn't trade them to us could they?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
And that would be basically #30 draft slot money. Big deal. It's not like a top of the line guy is dropping. And then your pool is depleted for the 75th on down.

Yeah, it's not like a guy that's projected to go 1-1 will slide all the way to the 2nd round and get drafted by the Sox. That's never happened before.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)
You'll have to excuse me...I'm late to this party--haven't read all the posts...but trying to catch up! Quick question...were the picks awarded to Houston competitive balance picks or STL's regular picks? I was under the impression that only competitive balance picks could be traded in MLB? If they were not competitive balance picks, Houston couldn't trade them to us could they?

One was a comp bal pick. And it can be traded just not until the season starts making this a moot point for a trade to happen now.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
Whitley and Perez certainly have upside, but each are a considerable distance away from the major leagues, which has to be a consideration

Guys like Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Collins, Fulmer, Hansen, Dunning, Burdi are not more than two years away from the majors. We need to make sure that we balance the rebuild so that we are firing on all cylinders when ready to compete again.

I doubt Houston would part with 5 players for Q. I see any deal being 3-4 players at the end of the day

Tucker is just as far away as Whitley and Perez so should we leave Tucker out of the deal as well? Should we have not traded for Basabe, Dunning and Diaz because they haven't played above A ball? Also, Kopech isn't expected to be ready until 2019. He needs that time to build up his innings because he is behind due to his two set backs ( fight/PED suspension.

The Sox have Giolito, Fulmer and Lopez at Charlotte. Kopech, Guerrero, Adams and Stephens at Birmingham. Whitley and Perez would be great additions to Hansen and Dunning in A ball. Think of them in waves. 1St wave is Giolito, Lopez and Fulmer. 2ND wave is Kopech, Stephens, Adams and Guerrero. 3rd wave is Hansen, Dunning, Whitley and Perez. That's pretty good balance from A-AAA and those waves would come over the next three years.

Given the depth of the Sox pitching I would rather take a few really young pitchers (Whitley/Perez) so the trade can focus on getting close to major league ready hitting such as Reed and Fisher.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)
Tucker is just as far away as Whitley and Perez so should we leave Tucker out of the deal as well? Should we have not traded for Basabe, Dunning and Diaz because they haven't played above A ball? Also, Kopech isn't expected to be ready until 2019. He needs that time to build up his innings because he is behind due to his two set backs ( fight/PED suspension.

The Sox have Giolito, Fulmer and Lopez at Charlotte. Kopech, Guerrero, Adams and Stephens at Birmingham. Whitley and Perez would be great additions to Hansen and Dunning in A ball. Think of them in waves. 1St wave is Giolito, Lopez and Fulmer. 2ND wave is Kopech, Stephens, Adams and Guerrero. 3rd wave is Hansen, Dunning, Whitley and Perez. That's pretty good balance from A-AAA and those waves would come over the next three years.

Given the depth of the Sox pitching I would rather take a few really young pitchers (Whitley/Perez) so the trade can focus on getting close to major league ready hitting such as Reed and Fisher.

I actually disagree on that point. I could definitely see Tucker moving up quickly through the minors and getting called up towards the end of 2018 or early 2019 if he continues to progress

Perez and Whitley are at least 3 full seasons away from the majors, if not more

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)

See an argument for low level scouting by looking no further than how the Astros acquired Martes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)
And that would be basically #30 draft slot money. Big deal. It's not like a top of the line guy is dropping. And then your pool is depleted for the 75th on down.

Teams draft multiple guys in the top 10 picks for $100,000 or less and save $$ for after all the time, White Sox included. If a player drafted in the top 10 rounds doesn't sign, then the team loses the ability to spend that bonus money. It's a big reason why college seniors start getting drafted in rounds 8-10 and players drafted in rounds 11-19 make more than $100,000 to sign.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
Teams draft multiple guys in the top 10 picks for $100,000 or less and save $$ for after all the time, White Sox included. If a player drafted in the top 10 rounds doesn't sign, then the team loses the ability to spend that bonus money. It's a big reason why college seniors start getting drafted in rounds 8-10 and players drafted in rounds 11-19 make more than $100,000 to sign.

Chances of that player being any good are pretty slim. That's why I say, take one of their lesser prospects who you like.

You really are lucky if you get 2 or 3 guys who contribute in a draft. People are really excited about the White Sox 2016 draft and they should be. The guys looked great. But when it's all said and done, a couple or more of the guys people are high on will wonder how high they were when they like the player. Courtney Hawkins was going to be a star. Then he hit .178 striking out at a ridiculous rate and still, "he's young for the level". Finally, he sucks. The same thing happens year after year to every team.

I think a guy who has been playing against professional competition is easier to project. That's why, even though it really won't happen anyway, I wouldn't take the draft pick if I could if I was making the deal. Give me the player someone already spent $800k or more on, and spent more developing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)
Chances of that player being any good are pretty slim. That's why I say, take one of their lesser prospects who you like.

You really are lucky if you get 2 or 3 guys who contribute in a draft. People are really excited about the White Sox 2016 draft and they should be. The guys looked great. But when it's all said and done, a couple or more of the guys people are high on will wonder how high they were when they like the player. Courtney Hawkins was going to be a star. Then he hit .178 striking out at a ridiculous rate and still, "he's young for the level". Finally, he sucks. The same thing happens year after year to every team.

I think a guy who has been playing against professional competition is easier to project. That's why, even though it really won't happen anyway, I wouldn't take the draft pick if I could if I was making the deal. Give me the player someone already spent $800k or more on, and spent more developing.

Exactly, it takes years to evaluate a draft year. In a given year if 1 or 2 of those players make the major league roster it has to be considered a success.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
See an argument for low level scouting by looking no further than how the Astros acquired Martes.

Exactly. I think Whitley and Perez are being over looked in the board discussions. A few people have mentioned Perez though. If people were OK with including Keller in a trade with Pitt then I see nothing wrong with going after Whitley and Perez. Hell, I would rather have Whitley than Keller.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
Exactly. I think Whitley and Perez are being over looked in the board discussions. A few people have mentioned Perez though. If people were OK with including Keller in a trade with Pitt then I see nothing wrong with going after Whitley and Perez. Hell, I would rather have Whitley than Keller.

:huh:

I have been banging the Perez drum for a while, he is a must to me in any deal with Houston. I think he will have the type of helium that Kopech has now next year, he reminds of me Jose Fernandez.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)
Yeah, it's not like a guy that's projected to go 1-1 will slide all the way to the 2nd round and get drafted by the Sox. That's never happened before.

Daz Cameron was pretty close... He was supposed to be a top 5-10 pick and fell to comp round. But obviously not quite the same thing.

Edited by turnin' two

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
I have been banging the Perez drum for a while, he is a must to me in any deal with Houston. I think we will have the type of helium that Kopech has now next year, he reminds of me Jose Fernandez.

I'd love to get Franklin Perez from Houston

I think they like him alot though

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
I'd love to get Franklin Perez from Houston

I think they like him alot though

Looks good. Don't always have to go for the obvious...in fact, they shouldn't. I hope Hahn is willing to leave Musgrove out if he's what's holding things up.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 03:54 PM)
:huh:

Look him up. Whitley has a bigger arsenal on a bigger frame and should add more velocity. Strikes me as a younger Glasnow/Hansen type. As of right now Whitley is #69 and Keller #72 in the top 100. My preference of Whitley over Keller is pretty reasonable.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
I have been banging the Perez drum for a while, he is a must to me in any deal with Houston. I think he will have the type of helium that Kopech has now next year, he reminds of me Jose Fernandez.

I was thinking something like this as well. I think Perez has the potential to be in the top 100 a year from now.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)

Wow. Keller's ceiling is much more projectable and much higher than Whitley or Perez at this point. In fact, it's higher than most pitching prospects in the minors right now.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 11:12 PM)
Wow. Keller's ceiling is much more projectable and much higher than Whitley or Perez at this point. In fact, it's higher than most pitching prospects in the minors right now.

I'd rather have Keller than Whitley, but Perez could skyrocket up the top 100. An 18 year old pitching well in A ball is impressive for sure.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 12:12 AM)

Cooper and Manuel from Baseball America were big on Keller in the Pirates podcast. BA ranked Keller higher than Glasnow. They love Keller's control and repertoire. Glasnow will be a stud but only if he gains control.