Sox acquire Alex Colome For Narvaez

I think this really comes down to whether they think Narvaez could improve defensively.  They have had him for two years at the big league level.  If they don't think he can improve the move is ok.  If he does improve it is not nearly a win.

Really like this move for the Sox. They have a legit closer and the winter meetings haven’t even started and they were right to sell high on Navarez because he’s unlikely to repeat that performance from last year. 

I would still like to see the Sox sign another reliever like Allen, Britton or Ottavino at the meetings. 

I don't mind trading Narvaez.  I actually suggested earlier this offseason that selling high is probably a good call. I don't mind acquiring Colome.  He instantly becomes our best reliever, and we badly needed improvement there.  

I guess I just don't love the fit at first blush.  I suppose Narvaez probably didn't have great value, but I just feel like you could have signed a guy like Familia to a 2 year deal with similar dollars and not give up an asset in return.  I would have rather signed Familia and traded Narvaez for a high upside prospect that is far away, than two not super cheap years of Colome.

But the White Sox got better today, and that I support.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't mind trading Narvaez.  I actually suggested earlier this offseason that selling high is probably a good call. I don't mind acquiring Colome.  He instantly becomes our best reliever, and we badly needed improvement there.  

I guess I just don't love the fit at first blush.  I suppose Narvaez probably didn't have great value, but I just feel like you could have signed a guy like Familia to a 2 year deal with similar dollars and not give up an asset in return.  I would have rather signed Familia and traded Narvaez for a high upside prospect that is far away, than two not super cheap years of Colome.

But the White Sox got better today, and that I support.  

I agree with this post. Well done. Colome is a good reliever, I just question the fit in GRF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I agree with this post. Well done. Colome is a good reliever, I just question the fit in GRF. 

To be clear, I wasn't referring to Colome fitting on the White Sox or in GRF.  I was referring to the fit of trading Narvaez for Colome. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

To be clear, I wasn't referring to Colome fitting on the White Sox or in GRF.  I was referring to the fit of trading Narvaez for Colome. 

I understand that. I wish they would have used Narvaez to gain some long-term pieces as well. I just question whether Colome is a fit for GRF because he's been giving up more HRs lately and he has been walking more batters too, IIRC. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I just question whether Colome is a fit for GRF because he's been giving up more HRs lately and he has been walking more batters too, IIRC. 

You don't remember correctly. I don't know why you need to make a dozen posts spreading misinformation when plenty of posters keep correcting you. It's not that hard to click on a link.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/colomal01.shtml

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I think this was an excellent move by the Sox. Kudos to Rick Hahn. We knew the bullpen needed work and Hahn is getting it done 

If there is one thing I trust Hahn with it's selling high on guys that are reclamation projects.    Omar had a nice season offensively but now that the book is out on him he's going to see a lot more early fastballs and good luck if he can make an adjustment to get the bat off his shoulder earlier in counts.

Plus he's the worst defensive catcher I think many of us long time fans have seen at the MLB level.  Forget about framing, he can't even give a steady target to the pitcher he is constantly shifting his target during the windup.  

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

So was I. I wish they would have used Narvaez to gain some long-term pieces as well. I just question whether Colome is a fit for GRF because he's been giving up more HRs lately and he has been walking more batters too, IIRC. 

The statements in bold seem to be a contradiction. 

This was a weird trade. I have to wonder what the Mariners are doing here. Colome seems to be a guy that *could* have acquired them a prospect. 

Perhaps this was just a way for the Mariners to shred money? IT seems like they are trying to shred money any way they can in the early off season.

For us, it leaves us with a questionable hole at catcher, but netted us a reliever that could produce quite nicely. It'll be a massive win if Colome comes out of the gate saving games and dominating and we can flip him for some good pieces. Navarez wasn't going to net us anything. 

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

So where does Colome get flipped at the trade deadline?

If there is one thing the Sox have done really well this year it is pump up relievers in the short term and push them into the trading market.  I 100% expect this to happen here, and if we get a decent return, well that is better than what we had in Omar.

1) Narvaez was only going to be the backup catcher, this season, with Castillo getting most of the games.

2) I disagree that Omar will come back down to earth, with the bat. He made some adjustments, last season, and began to drive the ball, which complimented his already established good batting eye.

3) Our young staff can benefit tremendously from having a good defensive catcher, which Omar is not.

4) Both Zavala and Collins have a shot at taking over in 2020, but probably not this year. I had understood the Seby is really not very good defensively:                           "Zavala projects more as an offensive-minded backup than a regular. He shows strong leadership skills, but his receiving and blocking are still works in progress".

5) It would seem that the Sox should be able to find a reasonably priced FA back up catcher to share Wellington's load. I just hope that he's a very good defensive catcher and it wouldn't hurt if he hit left handed.

6) There is a chance that the Sox will select one of the two highly rated Collegiate catchers, with this year's #3 pick in the Draft.

7) I would guess that there will be another bullpen acquisition.

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

I don’t know how to feel about this. 

This is where I am.  Not thrilled with the return, OK with the idea of selling high on Omar.  Last season felt fluke-ish to me, without any real proof to it.  I am OK with selling him now, just not sure about what we got back.  Though as I said, the Sox are the ultimate pump and dump when it comes to relievers.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, well hard to put too much stock into a nobody on twitter with like 75 followers just throwing that out there.  Clearly he was told something, but the way he made it sound the Sox were going to be part of the Cano trade, which obviously wasn't accurate.

Still don't get the Sox reasoning for trading Narvaez for a reliever.  Just sign one.  

Obviously you've never heard the tale of Katieparry'sbootyhole

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This was a weird trade. I have to wonder what the Mariners are doing here. Colome seems to be a guy that *could* have acquired them a prospect. 

Perhaps this was just a way for the Mariners to shred money? IT seems like they are trying to shred money any way they can in the early off season.

For us, it leaves us with a questionable hole at catcher, but netted us a reliever that could produce quite nicely. It'll be a massive win if Colome comes out of the gate saving games and dominating and we can flip him for some good pieces. Navarez wasn't going to net us anything. 

It's an odd trade for the Mariners.  Ostensibly they are rebuilding.  They don't need to bring in a catcher if they are selling off relievers and anything else not bolted down.  They ditched Zunino earlier this offseason so they had a "hole" at catcher, but I mean that's a feature not a bug in a tank.